Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
E85 Tuning Prices?

How much did you guys get charged for just an E85 tune? I inquired somewhere and they gave me just an 'estimate' of $550-1100 and that just doesn't sit right with me lol. Also, if you're in the Los Angeles area and got it done fairly cheap, let me know where!
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
pinoyscorpion951

Drives: 2016 Bright Yellow 2SS A8
450-600 is the going rate for an E85 tune. The only places I would do it at in SoCal are Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta, Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga and New Era Performance in Agoura Hills.
pinoyscorpion951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
JohnE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
How much did you guys get charged for just an E85 tune? I inquired somewhere and they gave me just an 'estimate' of $550-1100 and that just doesn't sit right with me lol. Also, if you're in the Los Angeles area and got it done fairly cheap, let me know where!
Hi Danny. I'm looking for the same thing in the northern Chicago suburbs. The maker of the tuning hardware is located near me in Buffalo Grove Illinois (HP Tuners VCM). Do you know if I can just buy their hardware and tune it myself? Looks like they sell one device for $349 and one for $499. thanks for any info on this. -John
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Hi Danny. I'm looking for the same thing in the northern Chicago suburbs. The maker of the tuning hardware is located near me in Buffalo Grove Illinois (HP Tuners VCM). Do you know if I can just buy their hardware and tune it myself? Looks like they sell one device for $349 and one for $499. thanks for any info on this. -John
If you know what you are doing you can absolutely tune it yourself.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Anyone charging less than this is most likely not up on current practice.

What I mean by that is sure the tuning is going to be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand depending on the combo and how involved the the companies tuning practice goes.
We include a hand held tuner with all of our tuning.
We sell our hand held starting at $599.99.
Anyone still doing flash only tuning on newer cars is doing the end customer a disservice as the client would need to return to that shop to have the stock file set back up if the end user needs to take the car in for any kind of service.
If the combo is too radical the car would then need to be trailer ed or towed to the dealer.
Vs driving to the dealer and loading the stock file using your handheld...

What kind of practice/quality are in these perceived few hundred dollar tunes guys seem to be seeking?

-When we tune cars they get a thorough inspection before going on the dyno
by a technician

- this includes a bath before the protective wrap goes on the car by our
porter/apprentice tech

-then they get strapped to the dyno with the appropriate sensor hookups by a
technician

-now the calibrator does his voodoo/magic(this is if all goes well on the dyno
and no further mechanical work needs to be attended too. (On our combos
installed by us this goes fairly well. Customer/outside built vehicles this is
about 5-10% chance of going well, they almost always need attention!)

-then the cars receive a pre drive inspection by a different tech

-the calibrator or calibrator assistant then test drive the vehicle to make sure
all is well and that they are happy.

-at this step the car is inspected a final time to ensure nothing has rattled
loose or has been missed.

-finally the car is cleaned before delivery by our porter/apprentice tech

with a process like this how can you do it inexpensively?
Does your local shop follow processes/procedures like this?

I can not speak for other shops out there in the world but we do things a certain way here and have been successful at it for some time.

Last edited by Livernois Motorsports; 06-02-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
TRich2SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Summit White
Lol someone went to the Rotofab school of marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Anyone charging less than this is most likely not up on current practice.

What I mean by that is sure the tuning is going to be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand depending on the combo and how involved the the companies tuning practice goes.
We include a hand held tuner with all of our tuning.
We sell our hand held starting at $599.99.
Anyone still doing flash only tuning on newer cars is doing the end customer a disservice as the client would need to return to that shop to have the stock file set back up if the end user needs to take the car in for any kind of service.
If the combo is too radical the car would then need to be trailer ed or towed to the dealer.
Vs driving to the dealer and loading the stock file using your handheld...

What kind of practice/quality are in these perceived few hundred dollar tunes guys seem to be seeking?

-When we tune cars they get a thorough inspection before going on the dyno
by a technician

- this includes a bath before the protective wrap goes on the car by our
porter/apprentice tech

-then they get strapped to the dyno with the appropriate sensor hookups by a
technician

-now the calibrator does his voodoo/magic(this is if all goes well on the dyno
and no further mechanical work needs to be attended too. (On our combos
installed by us this goes fairly well. Customer/outside built vehicles this is
about 5-10% chance of going well, they almost always need attention!)

-then the cars receive a pre drive inspection by a different tech

-the calibrator or calibrator assistant then test drive the vehicle to make sure
all is well and that they are happy.

-at this step the car is inspected a final time to ensure nothing has rattled
loose or has been missed.

-finally the car is cleaned before delivery by our porter/apprentice tech

with a process like this how can you do it inexpensively?
Does your local shop follow processes/procedures like this?

I can not speak for other shops out there in the world but we do things a certain way here and have been successful at it for some time.
TRich2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
JohnE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRich2SS View Post
If you know what you are doing you can absolutely tune it yourself.
Thanks. HP Tuners hasn't got back to me yet. I should have looked at their documentation earlier... but it looks like from their documentation, they already have it figured out:

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...basics_afr.htm

They list the AFR of ethanol. Is it really this easy?

Where does the extra horsepower come from with all things being equal? (that is once you supply the optimum fuel / air mixture) Is it the timing?

In the meantime I'll continue to read their documentation.

Are there other tuning tools out there besides HP Tuners or are they considered to be the best?
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
HP Tuners is the most comprehensive tool publicly available.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
JakeoDaRuler

Drives: Camaro SS 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyscorpion951 View Post
450-600 is the going rate for an E85 tune. The only places I would do it at in SoCal are Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta, Accelerated Racing Solutions in Rancho Cucamonga and New Era Performance in Agoura Hills.
Where is that located in Rancho i live here too but i looked it up and it said it was in Texas.
JakeoDaRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
You will have to install a flex fuel sensor kit, which will run you anywhere from 250-400. (appx)
If you purchase HP Tuners so that you have the most flexibility, you will need to get at least the mpvi2 which is around 300.
You will then need to purchase 4 credits from HPT for tuning, which is 200.
Then you will pay whomever to tune the car and that can range from 300-600. (clearly this varies greatly)
And then some will require you to have a wideband kit assuming that you are doing remote tuning.
Again, many variables to the tuning scenario, this just gives you a good baseline.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
RLNTLSS
INTSAGRAM: Failwish

Drives: 2019 /2SS LT1
Mine done by mailordertune..here in temple tx... He diagnosed an issue from the start and did my e85 and 91tune.. on a Dyno.. but he does tons of tunes..i think he's got the fastest camaro in the world or something along that line. I almost went on the route of buying my own HP tuners I didn't want to risk screwing something up and throwing away $45,000 car been very happy with my tune so far makes the car fun as hell to drive on the 85
Old 02-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
There is zero need for a handheld tuning device, sell the customer HPT and send the tune files back and forth. The customer can backup their tune files themself and flash new tunes as needed as well.

No reason to sell someone a $600 handheld tuning device when a $260 HP Tuners module can do the same thing with alot more power.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you do not have to buy your own HP MPVI2 if you have a tuner tune your car for you unless you are doing a remote tune and they wont send a loaner out to you. Remote tunes will require a wide band o2. if your doing a E85 tune you should also do a 93 octane (or 91 if you cant get 93) They will tune your car on gas then charge a retune fee for the E85 tune. that combined with a e85 sensor and you will be able to run any fuel. It is nice to have your own MPVI2 though that way the credits stay with you and if your tuner happens to go out of business you dont have to buy more credits to get a retune. Plus you can check out the tune for your self. its pretty neat.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:54 AM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
this is from 2017 and the op never replied to anything.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote