Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Motortrends Comparison, not a Comparison

So here you go, best they can do right now I quess

Good read nonetheless

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...t-test-review/
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Well written, yet another media report that fails to mention lack of coolers. Probably as this would be a proverbial nail in a coffin. Yet this is clearly done on purpose and hence a glaring omission in terms of providing a fully objective reviews et al. No doubt because of politics media has to content with.
Another interesting tid bit: the Stang is $5+G more than the 1le, as tested.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
"It's not balanced like that damn Camaro. It's still not there, but it could be. Just a little tweaky-tweak." -Randy

"The Camaro SS 1LE isn't just a muscle car; it's a world-class sports car!." -MT staffers

These two quotes basically sum up the entire thing for me. It's good to see the PP2 closer to the 1LE, but I'm not surprised at all that it's still not quite even, I guess I was more surprised at the complaints from the MT guys about it's regular on road feel/behavior though.

1LE-2 GTs- 0
Old 08-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Try2paz

Drives: 1967 Nova
What's intresting is they didn't comment on the track behavior in the heat...granted Laguna is typically cool being next to Monterey.
Try2paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2paz View Post
What's intresting is they didn't comment on the track behavior in the heat...granted Laguna is typically cool being next to Monterey.
Well the thing is they didn't run it long enough for it to get hot. I was out there for a few hours to watch them doing the testing at LC back in 2016 and they really only do two-three laps at a time with each car. So it's effectively not long enough for the overheating problems to show their ugly heads, though I'm sure the MT guys are well aware of them.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well written, yet another media report that fails to mention lack of coolers. Probably as this would be a proverbial nail in a coffin. Yet this is clearly done on purpose and hence a glaring omission in terms of providing a fully objective reviews et al. No doubt because of politics media has to content with.
Too harsh and Ford will take their marbles and go home
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I am also surprised on the negative comments about the PP2 on-road dynamics comments and the positive comments on the brakes. I thought those two would be reversed.

This portion is probably the most bothersome to me:
"The frustrating thing on this Mustang was that the AdvanceTrac—the stability control—has a little bit of a mind of its own. We were able to turn it off, but half a lap later, it comes back in. It's very interesting. It was actually trying to cover for that entry oversteer that I was feeling. It's like it's learning, then it starts sticking its nose in my business. And the rear's just not hooked up. I just feel like this is another example of a chassis-dynamics guy who likes a little bit of oversteer. I think that keeps it from being perfect."

This car was thoroughly and specifically tested, by Ford engineers and their factory race car drivers, at various tracks. The idea of the car is stated to be a level beyond the PP1 and to give Mustang buyers a much higher level of corning capability and enjoyment. This sounds completely counter-intuitive to that. The car should have had a diff cooler, in the least in my opinion, but this is something else. Come on...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
The mustang they tested was a Premium trim with the PP2, that is why it was 5K more than the 1SS 1LE. Had they tested a 2SS 1LE the prices would be much closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
"It's not balanced like that damn Camaro. It's still not there, but it could be. Just a little tweaky-tweak." -Randy

"The Camaro SS 1LE isn't just a muscle car; it's a world-class sports car!." -MT staffers

These two quotes basically sum up the entire thing for me. It's good to see the PP2 closer to the 1LE, but I'm not surprised at all that it's still not quite even, I guess I was more surprised at the complaints from the MT guys about it's regular on road feel/behavior though.

1LE-2 GTs- 0
Yeah sounds like they felt like the mustang was getting closer but still needs some tweaks. Other than that it went about how I would expect it. I thought it would close the gap but the SS 1LE would still put down better lap times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2paz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Well the thing is they didn't run it long enough for it to get hot. I was out there for a few hours to watch them doing the testing at LC back in 2016 and they really only do two-three laps at a time with each car. So it's effectively not long enough for the overheating problems to show their ugly heads, though I'm sure the MT guys are well aware of them.
Or it wasn't an issue for them so they didn't need to mention it
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
The Mustang even in this 18 PP2 iteration has a terrible rear end and with about a 1K in Steeda parts you can make great strides with it, wheel hop being the most glaring problem. I know...that's what it took to reign in my car.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
The Mustang even in this 18 PP2 iteration has a terrible rear end and with about a 1K in Steeda parts you can make great strides with it, wheel hop being the most glaring problem. I know...that's what it took to reign in my car.
The rear-end in the 1LE needs a little work in stock form as well though. That is one area that only solid rear bushings will fix.

I am doing the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushing kit on my SS 1LE. Just coming out of an M3 (which has the rear-end hard mounted to the sub frame), you can immediately tell that the 1LE has bushings back there.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Do you all think GM will wait til Ford puts out something that can beat the SS 1LE before improving on the 1LE platform? Or up its own ante so to speak.

Past:
2008 C6 - heads/cam/boltons
2005 GTO - cam/boltons
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
They are within a few dollars of one another when you compare a 1SS 1LE and a Mustang GT with the PP2 only.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
Do you all think GM will wait til Ford puts out something that can beat the SS 1LE before improving on the 1LE platform? Or up its own ante so to speak.
They will not improve the 1LE until one of two things happen.

The 7th Gen Arrives, or the LT1 is replaced with an LT2.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
It will be very interesting in what kind of test mules that the MFG's will put out in the next generation. Most higher end cars are going smaller displacement with turbo/super charged assist for their core power and/or a hybird mix. GM/Corvette world is heading with that way with the next gen which is perfect setup mid-engine to replecate what BMW has done with the i8.

Look at Tesla stepping up in thier game and offering a roadster with staggering numbers and gets 600 miles on HWY. Let's face it the new refresh with Camaro 1LE offering the 2.0T is heading for the mighty V-8 to go away for the next gen.. I would hate to see it go away becuase nothing is like a well tuned modified V-8 rumbling in the streets and tracks..
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote