Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
we are lucky that the chevy minder works on time, honda does not , and a guy on their forum hasnt changed his in 2.5 years because the minder still says 35 pct.....LOL

Last edited by Glen e; 08-14-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
there are some pretty smart guys that make up the oil monitor.
Shirley you must be joking!

It was a gal, not a guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_E._Schwartz
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #31
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
its recommended by all manufacturers that you change your oil at least once a year. If you let your car sit for 1 year with out driving it it would be at 0%
This is not entirely correct. BMW say latest every 2 years, at least here in Europe. I just had my 1. Inspection done at 9600km (10% oil life)
And I am not sure if you let your car stay for a year that it show 0%. As long as the car stays dry I could imagine that the life count goes on again at about 30% maybe.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #32
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
This is not entirely correct. BMW say latest every 2 years, at least here in Europe. I just had my 1. Inspection done at 9600km (10% oil life)
And I am not sure if you let your car stay for a year that it show 0%. As long as the car stays dry I could imagine that the life count goes on again at about 30% maybe.
You "imagine"?

In the United States it will show zero after year. I've seen it. Happened to me in 2016 where I left my car in storage for four months during the summer.

And in the United States, BMW has gone to a 7000 mile interval change, used to be 15, as They found they had oil problems at 15.…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
we are lucky that the chevy minder works on time, honda does not , and a guy on their forum hasnt changed his in 2.5 years because the minder still says 35 pct.....LOL
Hondas do work off of time also. Just not a set year amount. I've worked for Honda for over 15 years.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Ok, I didn’t know. I use my car only from April to October. When I put my car to sleep end of October the oil showed around 70%. In spring (April) it shows around 30% and now in August 10% when I went to the service. That was the reason I came up with the idea that it will maybe recover after awhile. Normaly we change oil after 30k km.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #35
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I wouldn't run a direct injected motor much past 5k miles on a oil change regardless of what the OLM says.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #36
CH.CRAFT

Drives: 2018 HOT WHEELS SS 6 SPEED COUPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I wouldn't run a direct injected motor much past 5k miles on a oil change regardless of what the OLM says.
I AGREE, I CHANGE OIL MYSELF AND I WOULD NOT RUN ANY ENGINE OVER 6K MILES. I JUST CHANGED OIL IN MY 2011 6.2 SILVERADO AT ONE YEAR, WITH 3300 MILES ON THE OIL, FULL SYNTHETIC. THE OLM WAS AT 75%.
CH.CRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #37
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
Time is just one of the things it uses to calculate. If you changed your oil and let it sit for a year or so, itd be back to 0%
...another reason why I trust the indicator.

Here's why:
https://www.waynesgarage.com/tips/mo...much-about-oil
Quote:
As the engine operates, acidic by-products from the combustion process get past the piston rings and into the oil. The acids combine with moisture (every gallon of gasoline burnt produces 1/2 gallon of moisture) which can dissolve bearing surfaces.

Modern motor oils contain additives to combat the acid build up in the oil. As the oil becomes contaminated and turns acidic, the additives get used up. Preventing acid buildup is a very big reason for changing motor oil regularly. Short trip driving is the worst kind of driving for this problem as moisture is not boiled off during driving cycles.
In summary, the carboxylic acid from the combustion process and moisture build up (especially from short trips) builds up over time and reduces the additives.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #38
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
what would being a DI engine have to do with motor oil?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:36 AM   #39
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
what would being a DI engine have to do with motor oil?
Not sure whether it's the DI engine, or how the DI engine is driven. Boosted DI even more so, it seems. After seeing what 3200 miles did to the oil in my Z, I would give that <5k philosophy some merit.

Compared to my DD, my Z gets far more spirited treatment. Both get full synthetic. My DD is a NA 4.6 port injected v8, and it's oil is still somewhat amber to light brown at ~10k miles.

But while Z's recent Blackstone labs report came back good at 3200 miles, damn that oil was jet black!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #40
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If your oil is getting dirty fast, that can be a sign that your air filter is garbage at actually filtering. Most people who are not using paper filters would fall into this category. Though, DI is always going to put a bit more dirt into oil vs older style where some of that dirt gets sent out the tailpipe.

I use full synth and change the oil about twice a year. That amounts to about 5k miles for me. Due to fuel contamination from DI, I wouldn't push it much past 5k even if you had a paper filter. So is full synth overkill since you're dumping it out way before it's had a chance to really degrade any less than conventional? maybe, but i haven't even thought of conventional oil as an option to use in cars basically since i started driving.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #41
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Mine was at 33% when I got my car brand new 300 test drive miles on the odometer -- it had been sitting outside for a year though unused for the most part.. ...know what my dealer did?

Salesman: That can't be right! *resets oil life counter*....there you're good to go! Let us know if you have anymore problems!
7500miles, or 20% or less on meter OR ONCE A YEAR. WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. That was the reason it set at 33% with only 300 miles. The year was up
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #42
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
My son's 17 RS V6 A8 was down to 16% so I took it to my friend's shop (has great business - Mustang Cobra guy) today for 2nd change (closest Chevy dealer is in Tupelo, Ms). The car had sat on a lot in Arkansas for approx 400 days, June 16 build. My dealer in West Point, Ms., picked it up for us on the transfer and it had 602 miles on it when we bought new and drove it about 75 miles home. Oil life was about 20% so he changed it with synthetic then. Today, he checked the sticker, only 2400 miles on oil, but 4 months since initial change. He said the oil looked great and reset the monitor. My son, a Sr in HS only drives it 10 miles round trip to school daily. He and I stretch it out a little on weekends. Will let Chevy change it, 27? pt inspect, and rotate tires on his fall or Christmas break when we are off. Mileage should be around 6K by then. I appreciate the advise on this thread and the honesty and help from my local shop.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote