Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
modestech

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 1LT V6
2016 V6 Launch Tips?

I know at least one V8 owner will answer "get a V8", but that would change my class in the event.

I'm going to a drag event at Texas Motor Speedway this evening with friends to race my lowly V6. I have almost zero experience in this event - a street race style informal evening of drag racing by classes. I'd like to get tips on launch and best performance.

I have a 2016 Hyper Blue V6 (non RS, Bone Stock) - 8 SPEED AUTO - will be using stock tires, NO slicks or drag radials.

Any suggestions, tips or tricks?

Is it worth putting higher octane fuel in the V6??? (specs are for just 87 octane)
modestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Since you are in Texas, I would put in a tank of 91. The extra detonation prevention will help in regards to the TX heat.

Couple of things to look at and try out.

- I would put the rear tires at around 26psi, put the fronts near 40psi or the max on the sidewall. This will help with the front tires rolling resistance.

- When it comes to burn outs and staging drive around the water box since you will be on a regular ole street tread radial tire. Then drive about 10' past the water box, put car in reverse and back up 5'. Then take the traction control off and while in Drive do a quick and short burnout. No reason to go all ProStock John Force style here, it wont do a thing but over heat the tires and waste rubber.

- Now roll up to the staging beams. There are two sets of yellow lights that are on top of each other. The top one is the pre-stage light, roll forward slowly until you trip that light. Then once it is tripped creep forward until the bottom staged light comes on and stop immediately. You will be staged "Deep" at this point and will have 12" of roll out before you will break the other beam and start the clock.

-The main tree will have 3 red lights stacked on top of each other, then a yellow and then a green light. Keep your left foot on the brake pedal in the car and your right foot on the gas pedal. If they run the tree normal you will see each red light turn on individually, then the yellow and then the green one. You will leave on the green one, but there is a trick to it.

Due to power and reaction times you can start the process of releasing the brake, pressing the gas pedal as soon as the last yellow light on and then goes off as it transitions to the green light turning on. Being staged deep helps with this as you have a 12" margin of error before the timing beam gets broke by your front wheel and starts the timer.

There are two clocks they normally track, the reaction clock and the E/T clock. The reaction clock only matters if you are racing the other person head to head. If you are only racing to see who has the fastest E/T then dont worry about the reaction clock and only worry about the E/T clock.

Once you get going down the track stay in the throttle until you fully pass the finish line, then start to firmly but not in a panic to brake and stop the car. Make sure the other car is clear before you try and make the turn into the track exit and head over to the timing booth to get your timing slip.

I would put the car in sport mode and let the car handle all of the shifting duties.

Make sure to being a helmet with you, if you break 13.99 per NHRA rules you will be required to wear one. Most tracks will want you in a closed toe shoe as well. You may want to see what their dress code is for racing.

That should get you a decent start for the event and headed into the right direction.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote