Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Catch Can Routing Diagram for Turbo

I am preparing for my single turbo build and I have been reading a lot of different threads about how people have routed their catch cans, which appear different for supercharger versus turbo. I have located a diagram on the LS1tech website that matches what I believe I need. I just need someone to chime in if this is wrong, or confirm it looks accurate. Some run a separate catch can for the breather on the valve cover - any thoughts on that?
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Nope. I wouldn't do it like that.

Get a mighty mouse can and talk to dave. You probably want a dual input can. Having the turbo suck from the valve cover is just going to draw a ton of oil/crap into the turbo/intake system making the catchcan almost useless.

You want valve covers and valley plate going to the catchcan.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Here is a PCV routing document from MightMouse and while it was specifically designed for me but it may help. I've had zero problems with my MM single PCV setup.
Attached Images

Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
I run my turbo car with MM can just like the diagram drawn by Sakudog. I have also run the diagram you posted from ls1tech. No problem either way.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
I am preparing for my single turbo build and I have been reading a lot of different threads about how people have routed their catch cans, which appear different for supercharger versus turbo. I have located a diagram on the LS1tech website that matches what I believe I need. I just need someone to chime in if this is wrong, or confirm it looks accurate. Some run a separate catch can for the breather on the valve cover - any thoughts on that?
That will work but on a single inlet can its better to pull from the unrestricted valve cover and have the vally plate as the fresh air because it is restricted
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
That will work but on a single inlet can its better to pull from the unrestricted valve cover and have the vally plate as the fresh air because it is restricted
Thanks. When you mean the valley plate is restricted, its outlet is one-way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Here is a PCV routing document from MightMouse and while it was specifically designed for me but it may help. I've had zero problems with my MM single PCV setup.
Thanks, that is very helpful. I have taken your drawing and attached two modified drawings below. Rather than just install a catch can, I want to better understand how the flow works under vacuum and boost and I have a question on each of my drawings which would be helpful to understand. I think not knowing how the valley plate flows, is my underlying issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
I run my turbo car with MM can just like the diagram drawn by Sakudog. I have also run the diagram you posted from ls1tech. No problem either way.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Nope. I wouldn't do it like that.

Get a mighty mouse can and talk to dave. You probably want a dual input can. Having the turbo suck from the valve cover is just going to draw a ton of oil/crap into the turbo/intake system making the catchcan almost useless.

You want valve covers and valley plate going to the catchcan.
Thanks, I have read stories where other intercoolers became filled with oil. I plan on talking to them. Would a T-fitting joining the two valve covers going to a single inlet be the same as simply having two inlets?
Attached Images

Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
i have mighy mouse catch can. i used his diagram when i had turbo and it worked fine. the diagram is on this page.

http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/#!mm-black/ca5m
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
The valley plate is baffled does not flow as well as the valve cover which is free flowing
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
Sakudog

The valley pan breather should be pulling air in at idle to help equalize and replace the air being evacuated via the valve covers & tb path.

Under boost the check valve stops air flow back into the catch can.

The valley pan is not part of the intake system. If this is getting pressurized at idle or light cruise well you've got bigger issues.

This is a street setup. I would contend that for something like road racing with extended high rpm engine operation, MightyMouse would recommend something else. In my case it has worked flawlessly.

The diagram is from MightyMouse and he has a much better way to explain how this system would work.

I would highly recommend spending the money to buy his products they are very well designed.

Sent from my iPhone
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have a MM can also. He told me to run mine like this:
Each valve cover has a 10AN bung to an inlet on the can. PCV valve back to intake. I had a 10AN bung welded on the valley cover and it will "Y" to each CAI tube pre turbo. The factory valley cover port is blocked off.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
Sakudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I have a MM can also. He told me to run mine like this:
Each valve cover has a 10AN bung to an inlet on the can. PCV valve back to intake. I had a 10AN bung welded on the valley cover and it will "Y" to each CAI tube pre turbo. The factory valley cover port is blocked off.
While what you have is almost identical in terms of logical flow paths to my setup it is much more substantial.

Way to out water burger me Bro!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
While what you have is almost identical in terms of logical flow paths to my setup it is much more substantial.

Way to out water burger me Bro!

Your eloquence has made my day with laughter!
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post

Please take a look at this set-up:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=Jantzen

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Please take a look at this set-up:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=Jantzen

Thanks, I saw this same post in another thread and checked it out. It looks like an amazing product no doubt and beautiful, but unfortunately for me, it is priced out of my range for catch cans as it is nearly twice the cost of the solution "full of seaweed and dead hookers" (Unreal). Mine is a street setup with only occasional boost and I don't think I will need as sophisticated of a solution as this one right now but I love your products. I know this one contains the air rather than vent it to atmosphere, which I like, and something I can review later when my next HP surge arrives.