Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-30-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Sebs_17_2T

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2T
'17 2.0T Rough Idle at Start Up?

Hello all,

My '17 2.0T has had a rough idle at start up since I purchased it almost 3 years ago. I had some warranty work done on it before for this reason which involved the dealership replacing one injector which didn't help.
My 3 year BTB warranty ends on the 1st, so I took the car in again. (Extended warranty through my credit union, though.)
The following is what the dealership sent to me in a text update:

"Technician scanned the vehicle for codes, there are none stored in the ECM. We checked for bulletins and there's actually a bulletin relating to rough idle on these vehicles. Your vehicle is equipped with high pressure injectors that dual pulse when performing a cold start. This could actually cause a misfire and rough idle, I will attach a copy of this bulletin to your paperwork. Technician is deeming this concern normal operation for make/model of vehicle."

Has anyone else with the 2T run into this issue?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sebs_17_2T

Last edited by Sebs_17_2T; 03-30-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: adding
Sebs_17_2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I know it's a different engine, but my 2.0T Ford has had a very slight rough idle since it was new. I got used to it pretty quickly and just realized it's going to be the new normal with a DI motor. Have over 135K miles on it now and it never got any worse.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Mike91b

Drives: Chevrolet Silverado
Given the current emissions standards this will become the new norm. The rough idle is a direct result of the catalyst warm up strategy. On all cold start events the ignition timing is retarded. This is to increase exhaust temp by making the explosion closer to exhaust valve open events. That helps bring the catalyst up to temp much faster than normal ignition timing. This drastically reduces cylinder pressures and creates more felt vibrations in the cabin of the vehicle. Thank the EPA for this. You can turn this off in most GM vehicles via tuning.
Mike91b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#2t, #roughidle