#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 03-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #29
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
Thank you Mary and thank you GM

Way to go GM working on making ventilators to save lives. Certainly not an easy task and I would expect it to be expensive. Even without the defense production action act being invoked the ventilators were going to be made. I am sure that there would be a market.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #30
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From Ken Morris, a senior Executive at GM.

For those outside the Detroit area - Guy Gordon is one of the most respected people in the media here - more facts about what my company is doing in reality to help our country in time of crisis. I’m personally offended ANYONE would attack us. We’re all in this together! #IworkforGM

From Guy Gordon:

On Friday, the President insinuated General Motors was acting un-patriotically, and was attempting to profiteer from the shortage of life-sustaining ventilators. He invoked the Defense Production Act, ordering them to produce the ventilators. But GM was already far ahead of any other company in moving forward and had in fact made the commitment to produce the ventilators “at cost” with Ventec, a leading ventilator provider.

Here are the facts:

Wednesday 3/18: GM Chairperson Mary Barra reaches out to White House Chief Economic Advisor Larry Kudlow and offers GM’s manufacturing and engineering capacity to fulfill the need for medical supplies. (Source: Axios, GM and White House)

Friday 3/20 GM and Ventec, a ventilator manufacturer from the Seattle area, announce they are undertaking a feasibility project to determine whether they can jointly initiate rapidly expanded production. (GM and Ventec joint release)

By Monday 3/23 GM and Ventec not only prove feasibility, but designate GM’s former electronics facility in Kokomo, Ind. as the “clean” facility for production. The UAW is asked to begin recruiting volunteers. It’s a labor intensive project and may need as many as 1,000 workers. GM’s purchasing chief informs Barra he has commitments from nearly all the suppliers needed for 700 components. He is confident the remaining 37 components can be sourced. (GM, Axios and Reuters)

Tuesday 3/24 Axios and Reuters report GM’s incredible progress. Ventec is told to anticipate an announcement from the White House about the impending contract. Ventec is ready to go but has still not received direction from the feds on how many ventilators it is ordering, making cost quotes per unit more difficult to estimate.

Wednesday 3/25 Without explanation the White House cancels the announcement and Ventec is told there will be no contract. Late that evening Ventec and GM agree to move forward anyway. GM agrees to help clear Ventec’s 20,000 unit back-order at cost. Essentially they agree to build a decade’s worth of ventilators in less than 2 months.

Thursday 3/26. NYT reports White House balks because they are trying to decide between different vendors who they believe can offer lower cost options. Ventec and GM prepare to announce their formal production agreement on Friday.

Friday 3/27 President threatens in 2 tweets to invoke “P” (Defense Production Act) against GM. Suggests they should build ventilators at Lordstown, a plant the White House knows GM no longer owns. They are also aware a much more practical electronics plant was chosen for production. He also insults Mary Barra who made the initial offer with prompting from no one.
Within 90 minutes, Ventec and GM announce their plans for production. They have hired 1,000 workers, a full shift, and have the sourcing to make 200,000 ventilators. They have printed training manuals and intend to start training in the new work week. All of these plans and progress occur well before any implied or actual threat from President Trump.

Friday Evening: The President announces he is invoking the Defense Production Act. It will not get things built any faster, but does eliminate the red tape normally associated with government contracting.

His new procurement czar Peter Navarro suggests many “patriotic” companies had come forward, but they hit a roadblock with GM. The President says, “we won’t pay double or triple for ventilators.” Yet GM and Ventec were producing them at cost. Throughout the briefing it’s implied they had difficult discussions with GM. In fact, Ventec is the primary contractor and handled all interaction beyond Barra’s original offer. When asked in opening Q and A whether cost and profit were a factor, the President was very candid. He doesn’t like GM.

President: “It got to be a debate over cost. We don’t want to think too much about cost when we’re talking about this. This is not about cost. I WASN’T HAPPY WHERE GENERAL MOTORS BUILT PLANTS IN OTHER LOCATIONS (MEXICO) OVER THE YEARS. ….. AND SO I DIDN’T GO INTO IT WITH A VERY FAVORABLE VIEW. I WAS EXTREMELY UNHAPPY WITH LORDSTOWN OHIO. THEY LEFT LORDSTOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF AN AUTO BOOM (in fact, sales of sedans produced at Lordstown were crashing). BECAUSE WE HAD 17 CAR COMPANIES COMING IN (?) AND THEN THEY WERE LEAVING ONE PLANT IN OHIO. I LOVE OHIO AND WHAT HAPPENS, THAT BECAME THE STORY.

AND FRANKLY I THINK THAT WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO BUILD THE VENTILATORS. AND WE’LL SEE, WE’LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

SO I WASN’T TOO THRILLED.

“And then we thought we had a deal for 40,000 ventilators and then it became 6 and price became a big object. But Peter is getting involved… maybe they’ll change their tune.”

Sadly, the tune has always been the same. GM offered to help and in less than 10 days moved heaven and earth to find a location, hire a workforce, source a 700-part piece of technology, spec it out for suppliers and set employee training in motion. All of this to be delivered at cost, a cost that could have been pinned down better had the Government instructed how many they needed.
Maximum production for Ventec is 200 ventilators per month. GM was offering to build 100 times that many in a matter of a few months… needing less than a month for re-tooling and training. That is nothing short of incredible. Their thanks was a politically motivated shaming in a nationally televised White House briefing. GM was patriotic. GM was All-American. They will not profit. In fact, they may lose business because of the President’s diatribe. I wonder how many other companies are re-thinking their willingness to step up as a result.
But on Monday, GM will start making masks in Warren and begin training in Kokomo.

We remain focused and resilient.
Of course GM will spin it that way too.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #31
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I agree with Trump on the aspect that GM should have built the new Blazer at Lordstown instead of Mexico. So, in fact, GM DID shutter Lordstown in the middle of an SUV boom. Sedans aren’t selling. Fine. Quit building the Cruze there and start building the Blazer.

GM is not as innocent as they and others claim.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #32
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I agree with Trump on the aspect that GM should have built the new Blazer at Lordstown instead of Mexico. So, in fact, GM DID shutter Lordstown in the middle of an SUV boom. Sedans aren’t selling. Fine. Quit building the Cruze there and start building the Blazer.

To my understanding.... Lordstown was setup using an older assembly line system that made producing vehicles bigger than the Cruze not possible. The cost to convert the plant to the modern assembly line system was probably deemed too costly and/or the capacity needed to justify the conversion wasn't needed and thus shut down when GM made the decision to kill the Cruze due to falling demand.

Anybody can correct me on this as I am running on memory from when Lordstown was announced to close and this discussion took place.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #33
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Of course GM will spin it that way too.
This isn’t GM, this is a trusted Detroit reporter. But hey, if you believe The President who has already reversed himself on the topic, just let us know which Trump statement you believe.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

To be clear you can’t just build whatever product you want in any plant you want. It is much harder than that, regardless of what thevPresidentvsays.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #35
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
This isn’t GM, this is a trusted Detroit reporter. But hey, if you believe The President who has already reversed himself on the topic, just let us know which Trump statement you believe.
What’s a trusted reporter?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #36
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
To be clear you can’t just build whatever product you want in any plant you want. It is much harder than that, regardless of what thevPresidentvsays.
Oh come on don’t feed me that crap. The big three transformed from cars to planes and tanks in 6 months and that was 80 years ago. They could have easily put Blazer production in Lordstown instead of building a new plant in Mexico.

This is 2020. Your bs doesn’t fly today.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #37
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Oh come on don’t feed me that crap. The big three transformed from cars to planes and tanks in 6 months and that was 80 years ago. They could have easily put Blazer production in Lordstown instead of building a new plant in Mexico.

This is 2020. Your bs doesn’t fly today.

The plant the Blazer is assembled in was built in 1981.....
Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #38
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
What’s a trusted reporter?
Oxymoron?

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
Closed Thread