Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-30-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
souliman

Drives: don't have one yet
Air leaking

Driving down the freeway I've noticed a tiny whistle coming out of the drivers side window. Any tips on way to get rid of the air leak? Or should I take it back to the dealer?
souliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #2
Jmetc89

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I seem to have sorta the same issue on the passenger. No air coming in but it CONSTANTLY sounds like wind is hitting the mirror on that side. Like more than normal. I never hear it from the drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmetc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
Mine is on the driver's side but it may not be a real air leak cause when I've washed the car (and hit the window area with strong streams of water), there are no water leaks. Could just be a design flaw causing the wind noise.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
webberj1

Drives: 2016 SS
I have this issue on both sides as well. You can't hear the passenger side until you let someone else drive and then you can't hear the driver's side when you are the passenger. I can gently apply pressure on the driver's side window and it almost completely stops. Hope someone has the answer.
webberj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
alaskajoel

Drives: White 2SS 6MT
Definitely have the same problem. Radio turned up...need a better fix
alaskajoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The Camaro has indexing glass that when you open the door, the glass will drop just a bit and only after closing will the glass go back up. This enables a "captured glass" feature that should significantly improve door glass sealing compared to say a Gen4 Camaro.

That being said, it's tough to diagnose over the internet so unless there is an obvious problem (like the glass not indexing properly or a drooping seal) let the dealer have a look at it.

Otherwise you can start taping thing off and drive the car to find the source.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
I have a little wind noise as well noticed it since day one. I thought maybe the weather stripping but it seems to be in place correctly. My BMW 528 never did this!!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #8
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliman View Post
Driving down the freeway I've noticed a tiny whistle coming out of the drivers side window. Any tips on way to get rid of the air leak? Or should I take it back to the dealer?
I actually have water leak, during the blow dry cycle of touch-less carwashes.. When it's pure water there are no leaks, when air gets blown on the window it starts to leak..

No leaks when it's just water
No leaks
No leaks
BLOW dry with LEAKS
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Use some flat waxless dental floss - close it in the window in various spots. It should be hard to pull through. Slide it along until you find it easy to move back and forth: and you have your leak. Then check the rubber nearby to make sure it's seated/slotted correctly...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Use some flat waxless dental floss - close it in the window in various spots. It should be hard to pull through. Slide it along until you find it easy to move back and forth: and you have your leak. Then check the rubber nearby to make sure it's seated/slotted correctly...
Well I know it's near that triangular part...... it also has a bit of hardness to it......

the thing is I never had that problem before....... so why did it go from one drop to 6 drops all of a sudden?

I took it to one dealer and they "shimmied " it into place...... Now it has some kinks on the stripping but now at least it stops the water from coming through..
Also the weather stripping after they "fixed it", now gets wet, ( as in you it hangs onto the water on the upper edge of the frame ) when you roll the window down.....while on the passenger side which is untouched from factory does not get wet / hang on to any water at the same time when the car gets wet...

Will this be okay or Should I take it to another dealer and have them take out the stripping and install a new one?
I just don't want any water to build up anywhere near the seam or weather strip nor on the frame which can lead to rust down the road.

What happened to quality control?
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliman View Post
I agree it is hard to find these small leaks, but here is a potential quick fix. This assumes you have a gasket that is distorting slightly when it's compressed. Try some silicone spray. Spray it onto a paper towel and then carefully rub the gasket. This will make the gasket less "grabby" as the window slides into it.
You want to use silicone spray, nothing with petroleum products in it, as that will swell rubber parts.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
archer1965

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
this has been as issue with my 2016 SS since I bought it. First the dealer thought it was the triangular piece, so they replaced it. Nope.

then it's the mirror. nope.
today they replaced the entire door seal. nope.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Easiest way to find cabin leaks is set the a/c blower to max - no recirculation, and get some real soapy water and spread it around suspected gaps, when you find it - it'll be blowing bubbles
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote