Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
fueledpassion109

Drives: 2018 ss 1le
Tuner and o2 clarification

Quick backstory - Due to Coronavirus I am keeping my SS 1LE... so to freshen it up I want to spend some money on it. Researching I have discovered cams are easier to install with the engine out. Well if the engine is out I'm adding a lot more then cams.

Seems that most are using HP Tuner - okay cool.
Installing a single o2 sensor for one bank - not cool.

I am wondering if any direct fit aftermarket ecu or alternative tuner supports installing 2 wideband o2 sensor directly into the original upstream wiring harness(replacing the factory narrow band)?

Keyword here is direct fit... I would like to keep many factory comforts like heads up display and ac. There is some more research to be done on my part like where does the dash/heads-up get it's data. But for now I'm mostly wondering about the sensors to factory harness.

As for non direct fit I have that department covered with Bosch Motorsports, Motec, and AEM...

(also to note - I was shocked when I discovered gm does not install wideband o2 sensors from the factory on a car with 2000 oil coolers lol)

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
fueledpassion109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
eficalibrator

Drives: 2009 C6
You really only need the wideband for calibration activities, not necessarily for normal driving (or even racing). If you get it calibrated properly, there should be no need to make future adjustments.

That said, I would prefer one good quality wideband wired directly into the datalogger for the calibration (tuning) exercise. I do most of my work in open loop with the fuel trims disabled so I can see the raw error. As long as you can say that both banks are getting the same airflow, all injectors flow the same, and the injector pulsewidth is the same on both banks, then the resulting AFR is the same on both banks.

Most discrepancy one sees from bank to bank is either uneven fuel trims between the banks or measurement error from multiple mediocre grade wideband controllers. Tuning in open loop prevents the former, and using a high quality wideband prevents the latter.

After you get everything dialed in with open loop, you can return to closed loop operation and verify that the fuel trims don't really need to move much.
eficalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote