Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #15
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My VH "tributes"...I say tribute as while they have a strong resemblance to the actual guitars, they are by no means exact replicas, not intended to be as they are built to my preferences. Also, no relicing, these will relic naturally when I play the heck out of them! So the B&Y is named "Bee", the W&B is named "Frankie" and the RB&W is "Frankie 2"
Attached Images

Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Finally, a view of my downstairs "studio" space and some other assorted gear and such! And of course walls of guitars (not all built, some bought of course!)
Oh, the black ES-335 type is for my GF's other daughter, her and I are building that one together, she is 17 and is getting her feet wet on building, pretty challenging to take on for a first time, but she does have help!
Yes, that is a Cello back there also, daughter number 1 is classically trained, Julliard, the whole thing, now she jams an Orange ES type! She plays like everything though....Ido have other guitars and more pics, but will have to dig them up...eventually
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Wow they are really awesome! You are talented my friend! They look like they have been done by professionals, it is awesome to look at those pictures!

I hope I'm gonna start playing way more to justify the fact that I will make many more guitars in the future haha!! If not my girlfriend will definitely tell me that I have too much of them!

Do you do the finish yourself? As of now everything is planned for my build except for the finish. I don't exactly know where to go. I don't want to do a lacquer finish as I really like the look and feel of wood. I was thinking of an oil finish of some kind. But I want a "durable" finish.

What do you propose for that?

(Btw while I'm writing that I'm just done gluing the veneer on my armrest)
Attached Images

1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Wow they are really awesome! You are talented my friend! They look like they have been done by professionals, it is awesome to look at those pictures!

I hope I'm gonna start playing way more to justify the fact that I will make many more guitars in the future haha!! If not my girlfriend will definitely tell me that I have too much of them!

Do you do the finish yourself? As of now everything is planned for my build except for the finish. I don't exactly know where to go. I don't want to do a lacquer finish as I really like the look and feel of wood. I was thinking of an oil finish of some kind. But I want a "durable" finish.

What do you propose for that?
Thank you!

Warning! Building is addictive!!!! But worth every bit of effort to be sure.

I do all my own finishing, yes. I use several different types depending on what wood, look I am going for etc. Obviously some are painted and some are dyed wood. Paint I use automotive lacquer for color coats (Duplicolor is best) then Nitro Lacquer clear over that.

Nitro Lacquer is one of my favorites....like my LP type, I used water based dyes (Stew Mac Color Tone) to make the burst, all done by hand with small cotton "ghost" balls, like a small ball of t-shirt with stuffing inside. Then I use one of two methods for top coat. Lester was nitro lacquer. Very durable, also what Gibson still uses today.

Second option, easy and can be done inside no matter the weather and such. Casey Birchwood Tru Oil. You simple apply using your finger, or a small wad of cotton and just keep layering coats. It will build up nicely, just 2 or so coats a day for several days and build up 12-20 coats. Each coat takes a minute or two, it is that easy.

Tru Oil can be buffed to a high gloss, or just scuff with 0000 steel wool for a satin finish. Very hard, very durable, the stuff is made for gun stocks.
All of my necks are Tru Oil only as I do not like glossy necks, they get sticky feeling with sweat and the friction on my hand builds up. Tru Oil leaves it smooth and slick yet feels almost like raw wood. Feels wonderful to play!

There are also several wipe on poly finishes, also easy and can be done indoors all year long, Minwax is a good one, high gloss or satin, both very easy and exceptionally durable. Minimal effort and great results without needing lots of skill or spray equipment. Many name brand guitars are done in wipe on poly these days. Also does not add any tint or color, just clear. You could also tint lacquer and wipe on poly to add color to it, it will be a translucent clear finish with color, also like many high end name brand guitars use today.

One note on tru oil, if on undyed, unstained wood it will add a slight amber tint to it, which is great to get a vintage look depending on what you use it over. So Maple for example will go from a bright, almost white to a slightly aged amber look, beautiful stuff.

Most of all, have fun!!!!

Last edited by Nothing like an SS; 04-01-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

OK, so the LP I am currently working on, this is again hand rubbed dye and I am working on the coats of Tru Oil for this one, so Tru Oil looks like this!
Back is at about 7-8 coats....front is about 12 and the neck, I never use more than 2-3 on the neck as I want it thin and satin, again feels almost like super smooth raw wood. This is just Tru Oil, no buffing, wet sanding or polishing yet.....
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #20
Camaro_QC

Thanks for all the info!

I have used the Duplicolor lacquer and I was not impressed. It dulls after few months and it was impossible to buff it. Maybe it was the way I applied it. Oh well.

I think I'll go with your true oil technique. I'll check that Birchwood one, thanks for the tip!and yes it is very addictive. I already have many other ideas for guitars... I guess I won't be playing soon haha!

**Edit: just saw your last post, that's exactly the look I am looking for. And yes I love when the wood gets colored by oil, so I don't mind it changing color. I'll definitely give it a try of a scrap piece of wood and once I get it right, on the guitar it will go!
6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #21
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the info!

I have used the Duplicolor lacquer and I was not impressed. It dulls after few months and it was impossible to buff it. Maybe it was the way I applied it. Oh well.

I think I'll go with your true oil technique. I'll check that Birchwood one, thanks for the tip!and yes it is very addictive. I already have many other ideas for guitars... I guess I won't be playing soon haha!

**Edit: just saw your last post, that's exactly the look I am looking for. And yes I love when the wood gets colored by oil, so I don't mind it changing color. I'll definitely give it a try of a scrap piece of wood and once I get it right, on the guitar it will go!
Yes, always work scrap first!
I will clarify for the Duplicolor, I would never use the clear top coat, I only use for color base coat, that is how the striped ones were done, the B&W and BW&R are just the paint, no top coat at all and no grain fill, rough on purpose!
The B&Y one is a nitro lacquer clear over the Duplicolor. Duplicolor clear is not good, I agree. But for color, great stuff!

Tru Oil is very good stuff, I always have several bottles around, and a 3 oz bottle will go a very long way as you use very little for each coat. Great mileage for little money with that stuff.

Any clear nitro lacquer, you need at least 4-6 weeks of cure before wet sanding and buffing. It is a ton of work to wet sand then polishing to get that mirror gloss. Lacquer takes a TON of patience!
Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
Camaro_QC

Finished the head stock bending and attached the neck to the body. Next step is the truss rod + fretboard! It's coming together!!
Attached Images

6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 AM   #23
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Looking good! I was browsing the woodworking thread as well, you've got some skills !!!

Looking forward to the finished guitar! Nice work!
Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #24
Camaro_QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Looking good! I was browsing the woodworking thread as well, you've got some skills !!!

Looking forward to the finished guitar! Nice work!
Thanks! It's my first one, and with the amount of challenges I've given myself, I am really happy with how it is coming out. For sure there are some imperfections but I learning which is the most important.

I've completed the logo on the head and glued the fretboard.
Attached Images

6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
Camaro_QC

Neck carved and fretboard radius completed!
Attached Images

6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 04-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #26
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
It always amazes me to see someone build their own guitar. I have so much respect for those who can manipulate the wood and make it into an amazing instrument. My brother in law makes banjos and acoustic guitars too!

I have a collection of 15 guitars and basses along with various amps, effects, recording equipment and a bunch of other instruments at home to 3 trumpets, trombone, a 100+ year old yamaha piano, ukulele, just to name a few. I have heard that I suffer from GAS, or gear acquisition syndrome.

Since I was little I have been interested in music and I still play in a band, or would be if not for COVID, as well as teaching private lessons and some music classes at the school I work at. I enjoy sharing my passion with others and giving them experiences that I didn't get when I was interested in music but had no mentors and only a dialup internet connection to teach myself.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #27
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
It always amazes me to see someone build their own guitar. I have so much respect for those who can manipulate the wood and make it into an amazing instrument. My brother in law makes banjos and acoustic guitars too!

I have a collection of 15 guitars and basses along with various amps, effects, recording equipment and a bunch of other instruments at home to 3 trumpets, trombone, a 100+ year old yamaha piano, ukulele, just to name a few. I have heard that I suffer from GAS, or gear acquisition syndrome.

Since I was little I have been interested in music and I still play in a band, or would be if not for COVID, as well as teaching private lessons and some music classes at the school I work at. I enjoy sharing my passion with others and giving them experiences that I didn't get when I was interested in music but had no mentors and only a dialup internet connection to teach myself.
Awesome! Yes, GAS I know it well....lol Quite a varied collection of instruments you have! Fantastic that you share that passion and teaching, bravo!!!! Rock on!
Old 04-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #28
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Neck carved and fretboard radius completed!
Looking great! I hear ya on imperfections, all of mine have a wart or two, that's ok with me. What matters is, how it plays, how it feels and how it sounds. I play them so much they would only be perfect for a short time anyway! lol I tend to naturally relic a guitar pretty quickly.

The journey of the build, the pride when completed and the sheer joy of playing something YOU made is something you can't put a value on, it is priceless! Looking forward to the finished guitar!