Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Z Camaro owners your opinions please!

Hello Z Camaro family,

I am looking to purchase a 2015 Z28 Camaro or possibly a 2015 Zl1 if it doesn’t quite workout with the Z28. I really love the Z28 as it is a beastly looking car and would pick that as my ultimate fifth gen Camaro but it has its pros and cons as well as the ZL1.

Before I get flamed for daily driving a track car I have tooken it for a lengthy test drive ( as well as the ZL1 ) and I do not feel that the Z28 is too stiff or too uncomfortable for me in everyday use on the road. I don’t have really long commutes so it would mostly be driven a few times a week or on the occasional road trip. I have heard Z28 owners who have daily theirs so I’m sure it’s not an issue. I am aware the Zl1 has more comfort daily driving amenities where the Z28 has the basics. I am a simple guy who just loves the raw driving experience and doesn’t need much of the bells and whistles. I definitely would be looking for a Z28 with air conditioning and radio and that’s about all that I could ever really need in a car.

Down below I list the pros and cons of each car as I am still deciding which car will be right for me and maybe you guys could help me and offer your opinions. I’m also curious if the ZL1 is much faster than the Z28 in a straight line considering that it has 580 horsepower over the 505 in the Z28 but it is a few hundred pounds heavier. To those that have had or have both which do you like better and is there other things about the Z28 I should know about before getting one? Sorry for the long post but your responses will be greatly appreciated thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my post and share your thoughts.

Z28 pros-
Looks like an amazing hardcore muscle car.
The sound and roar of the Ls7 never gets old.
The driving experience is as raw as it gets and loved shifting that thing.

Z28 cons-
Costs more than the ZL1.

Brakes and especially rotors are pretty expensive but maybe wouldn’t have to worry so much about it since not really tracking the car?

Ls7 issues- Could be a drawing card depending on which Z28 I pick, one could be totally ok or it could have an issue down the road and if blown possible 10-12k for new motor and not even sure if extended warranty will cover that. To prevent this issue and be safe it would be a four grand job to replace the heads with a good set and be safe.

ZL1 pros-
I hear it has a bullet proof drivetrain and has easy potential for mods to get a lot of power bang for buck more so than the Z28 I’m sure due to the supercharger and I really like that potential as I would like to modifiy one of these cars one day.

Cheaper than the Z28 as well as the maintenance.

Has more daily driver amenities of course like the backup camera which I would have to find a way to install in the Z28 and not sure if you can play music through your phone in the Bluetooth in the Z28.

ZL1 cons-
It’s a heavy car of course heavier than the Z28 and I think has higher center gravity than the Z28 so it probably won’t handle as well.

Z28 in my opinion does look better. The ZL1 looks pretty menacing as well it’s just that the Z28 has a special place in my heart.

Liked the gear shifter in the Z28 better as the ZL1 kind of felt rough or notchy.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
As far as amenities. You will probably replace factory stereo and speakers in either car. You can easily install aftermarket stereo and face kit and install good speakers in the Z28. I just purchased a Z28 that was a summer daily driver just for the reason you spoke about the LS7, figuring a real low mileage one might still have issues lurking. But, it’s a mechanical item so anything can happen at any time, just gotta take care of it the best possible way. I’m going through mine now and just brake pads are at least $900 for a set(frt & rear) ac Delco pads. The rotors are $1400ish each if need replacing but those are good for “lifetime” of street driving. Mine are good as well so that seems to hold true unless you track it. Mine was missing the carbon fiber hood insert and I’m going for factory so that sucker was not cheap but I had to have it. The ride is harsher but someone else on another thread was talking about replacing struts for that reason. You could do that and I suggested a good pair of coil overs that you can adjust to get a softer ride but speak to the shock dealer first to see if you’ll get what your looking for and not just another stiff ride. The sway bars are smaller because the struts do more work. Don’t throw those dssv struts away, they are $$ as well. Oh yeah, I didn’t talk about zl1. That’s because it didn’t interest me at all. They are cool but just was not my thing. The Z28 is just raw and it’s more of the old muscle car that I grew up with.
Good luck
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Ls_Camaro, You know which car you really want. Now go buy it!
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
I have owned both at the same time and have had both on the street and the track, if it were me and if you plan to spend a lot of miles in it then the ZL1 is a better choice for that, also like you said cheaper and easier to find and still a great looking car with all the bells and whistles that preforms amazingly as well. The ZL1 is a very well rounded car that does everything very well.

Yes the Z/28 does look just a tad bit more racy and is meant to for one purpose but it comes at a cost if you want that look then thats hard to beat. Only wish they would of did different on the look was used the ZL1 hood on the Z/28 but that has grown on me some over time. And like you said, there is something about the LS7 but that too has come with a cost with the supposed head/valve issue, but what an engine.

I could go on more about the 2 cars but in short I sold my ZL1 and kept the Z but I also like to do a couple track days a year and also some street driving but in a perfect world It sure would of been nice to keep both and at times I wish I would keep the ZL1 for street but I have no regrets at all for having an awesome Z/28 setting here to enjoy when I want.

Good luck
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm going to probably ruffle some feathers so accept my apologies in advance. I would say neither. As both of these cars approach collector status I think they need to be elevated to part-time duties. The Z/28 has 10qt oil changes, $2K sets of tires and a low hanging spliter just begging for curb contact. Not having owned a ZL1 I'm sure they have their own attention items. If you want to do mods and chase H/P grab a nice SS and go wild. I bought my Z/28 with the intention of performing some new-age hot rod tricks but after several trips to 7000 RPM I decided it was perfect as is and way to nice to tinker with. I will say this, I do admire the abilities of the individuals who get more out of the LS7 but this is such a low #s production vehicle I feel they should be preserved. You wanted a Z/28 owners opinion, you got mine.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
I've had both, the ZL1 was more of a grand touring type car in my opinion. It rode pretty good, tons of power and looked good. BUT it didn't have the soul of the Z/28 in my opinion. I would also recommend finding one with the Recaro's if that's the route you're wanting to take, they are far better than the standard seats.

The Z/28 reminds me of an old muscle car and is a blast to drive, the engine sounds great and has a bunch of quirks about it.

I don't see a large difference in operating costs between the two, ZL1 will eat tires every 10-15k miles if running the stock Goodyears. The LSA also drinks fuel, I was averaging in the 12mpg range in mine with the 6-spd manual.

The Z/28 driveability improves dramatically by replacing the Trofeo's with a good street tire such as the Pilot Super Sports. The low splitter in the front does take some getting used to, and the car is so stiff that it'll pull the rear tires off the ground on some steep driveway approaches.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
The one that talks to you is the one to buy!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Z/28 easy. Those who tell you not to daily it are just wrong, period. My wife and I have 2, and mine has 58k miles and 11 track days on it now. I got it with 43k miles and 0 track days Oct 2017.

I drive wet, dry, snow (though we don't get it much if at all), ice... doesn't matter. And my engine is modded at 650hp right now. I average 14 during city/hwy and 19 hwy when cruising steady. Before the mods, I got 24mpg hwy on a long road trip.

My wife's had 20k on it when we bought it Aug 2019, and now has 23k with her first track day coming up at the end of February. Bone stock (for now) and it just cruises with no issues whatsoever.

We both run Conti ExtremeContact Sport 325/30/19 as our daily tires and I have a set of 18's with slicks on for track use. 8 track days and 14k miles on my street tires and tons of wear left with zero traction issues.

I truly don't care about collector status or how limited it is. The intrinsic value to me is my enjoyment factor, and I sure as hell didn't spend $37k for the car + $12k for the engine and other mods not to enjoy it. I see these cars with less than 1k miles and I just can't fathom it. I will just continue to fix it as I go and enjoy every smile per gallon I get.

Edit: Disclaimer.. if you want to garage queen it, obviously you can do it. You paid for it, do whatever you want. But it's my mechanical and engineering opinion you do just as much harm letting it sit with no mileage on it as you would putting mileage on. Ask 1970judge (Marcus) on that. He drives his almost as often as I do and we have already done 1 road trip with more coming.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
I wanted to purchase a Zl1 years ago because I didn’t want to spend 76k for the Z/28 when they first hit the market but I decided to be patient and let the market settle down. I’m very glad with that decision because the Z/28 was my first choice all along and I found the perfect one for an excellent deal.

I’ll keep it very short. The ZL1 is a beast and most people should purchase one. The Z/28 is a hardcore unique vehicle made for a different kind of person.

The “newness” will wear off with whatever choice you go with, so my advice is for you to be patient and don’t settle. Save extra cash while you’re looking around. It’s a buyer market right now so good luck with your search.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #10
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I thoroughly agree that these cars should not be garage queens sealed in nitrogen and observed by appointment only. Unable to participate in the previous wave of muscle cars (just well worn leftovers) I look at the current trend through different eyes. The Z/28 is the last true no-extra BS car made. Period. No cameras, heated seats, sun roofs, convertibles, or other gimmicks and creature comforts. Owning one of these connects you to the past. Sure, I drive the heck out of it (ask my neighbors) but I think trips to the grocery store or the barber are better handled by different machines. Going back to OP I would have to vote for the ZL1 for a DD type due to its extra comforts. On a side note I should encourage every other owner to use/abuse theirs as they see fit, that just makes my low miler even more valuable.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #11
Ls_Camaro

Hey Folks! I am pleased to hear all the informative responses so far! I want to thank you all so much for taking the time to read my long post and share your thoughts it really means a lot to me! I really do want that Z28 for sure. I'm just curious if any of you had any issues with the heads/valves at all with the ls7 motor? Before purchasing your Z28 did you guys ever have a concern or worry if it could happen and what to do?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:07 AM   #12
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
I wanted to purchase a Zl1 years ago because I didn’t want to spend 76k for the Z/28 when they first hit the market but I decided to be patient and let the market settle down. I’m very glad with that decision because the Z/28 was my first choice all along and I found the perfect one for an excellent deal.

I’ll keep it very short. The ZL1 is a beast and most people should purchase one. The Z/28 is a hardcore unique vehicle made for a different kind of person.

The “newness” will wear off with whatever choice you go with, so my advice is for you to be patient and don’t settle. Save extra cash while you’re looking around. It’s a buyer market right now so good luck with your search.
Good things come to those who wait for sure! Glad you were patient to get the right car for you cause you deserve it!
Old 01-29-2020, 01:16 AM   #13
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarczar View Post
I've had both, the ZL1 was more of a grand touring type car in my opinion. It rode pretty good, tons of power and looked good. BUT it didn't have the soul of the Z/28 in my opinion. I would also recommend finding one with the Recaro's if that's the route you're wanting to take, they are far better than the standard seats.

The Z/28 reminds me of an old muscle car and is a blast to drive, the engine sounds great and has a bunch of quirks about it.

I don't see a large difference in operating costs between the two, ZL1 will eat tires every 10-15k miles if running the stock Goodyears. The LSA also drinks fuel, I was averaging in the 12mpg range in mine with the 6-spd manual.

The Z/28 driveability improves dramatically by replacing the Trofeo's with a good street tire such as the Pilot Super Sports. The low splitter in the front does take some getting used to, and the car is so stiff that it'll pull the rear tires off the ground on some steep driveway approaches.
Hmm I have heard some say the standard seats are more comfortable than the recaros especially when on long trips. But I have sat in both types of seats and they are both comfortable. Also since you had both cars is the Zl1 much faster than the Z28??
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 AM   #14
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRaZ28 View Post
Z/28 easy. Those who tell you not to daily it are just wrong, period. My wife and I have 2, and mine has 58k miles and 11 track days on it now. I got it with 43k miles and 0 track days Oct 2017.

I drive wet, dry, snow (though we don't get it much if at all), ice... doesn't matter. And my engine is modded at 650hp right now. I average 14 during city/hwy and 19 hwy when cruising steady. Before the mods, I got 24mpg hwy on a long road trip.

My wife's had 20k on it when we bought it Aug 2019, and now has 23k with her first track day coming up at the end of February. Bone stock (for now) and it just cruises with no issues whatsoever.

We both run Conti ExtremeContact Sport 325/30/19 as our daily tires and I have a set of 18's with slicks on for track use. 8 track days and 14k miles on my street tires and tons of wear left with zero traction issues.

I truly don't care about collector status or how limited it is. The intrinsic value to me is my enjoyment factor, and I sure as hell didn't spend $37k for the car + $12k for the engine and other mods not to enjoy it. I see these cars with less than 1k miles and I just can't fathom it. I will just continue to fix it as I go and enjoy every smile per gallon I get.

Edit: Disclaimer.. if you want to garage queen it, obviously you can do it. You paid for it, do whatever you want. But it's my mechanical and engineering opinion you do just as much harm letting it sit with no mileage on it as you would putting mileage on. Ask 1970judge (Marcus) on that. He drives his almost as often as I do and we have already done 1 road trip with more coming.
Hey man fist bump to you for sure. Really liked your post here. I like the fact that you daily drive yours regardless and the fact that your wife has one as well is awesome! Thanks for sharing man!