Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Al Oppenheiser & 2016 Camaro on Autoline After Hours June 11, 2015

Alright, the synopsis is below, but if you want to watch the whole thing the Al O interview is roughly from 2 1/2 min to 32 min, during which time he answers a number of questions from the hosts & viewers who called/wrote in. After that, the show moves on to talk about weekly auto news.

Here is the video link and here is the audio only version.

Al didn't reveal too much that we didn't already know, but overall he kinda firmed up a few things. I wish I had remembered that this was happening on the 11th, so I could have given everyone a web address to send their questions in. Oh well, can't change that now.

Onto what I found interesting:
  • the 4 & 6 cylinders are going to be roughly equal in weight
  • there are 2 main reasons for the turbo4: the youngin's who like tinkering with such engines, and the CAFE standards.
  • LT models are going to be nearly 300 lbs lighter than 5th gen equivalents (putting them approximately at 3450 lbs)
  • Weight was more or less the biggest disappointment on the 5th gen, thus the main area of improvement on the 6th
  • Second area of focus was the interior. 5th gen was based on the 2006 Concept ... and nearly a decade later, its time to move on
  • track mode changes the exhaust note (through electronic bi-modal exhaust), steering inputs, and throttle response. Other modes alter the same parameters.
  • MRC is an option (rather than integrated into a package, like 2SS ... probably)
  • Visibility has been addressed slightly, through a lower beltine and better upward visibility (presumably roof/windshield area), and a less cramped interior space
  • However, customers have told GM that styling is much more important than visibility, GM should fix it with technology.
  • Ambient lighting, though not a major element of the 6th gen, has defaults according to the different driving modes -but this can be changed based on driver preference (ex, track is orange but could be changed to red or white or blue or whatever)
  • It has to be seen in person, rather than through pics
  • Feels like a 'middle weight' boxer, rather than a 'heavy weight' -leaner, quicker, faster.
  • As to a high revving engine (like early 1st gen Z/28) ... Al was rather evasive -but he did say that GM is open to new technology that helps performance. The following 2 points are speculation on my part ...
    • possible turbo/supercharged Z/28
    • hybrid 'boost' like KERS or similar tech
  • With the 5th gen, they feel like they solidified what various Camaro things mean: styling must be long hood/short deck, Z/28 is the all out racer, 1LE is the affordable track package, ZL1 is the high powered beast. In my opinion, I take this to mean that the sub-models/packages on the 6th will be pretty similar in concept/scope to the 5th gen.
  • With regard to weight reduction, their work was a continuation of what Cadillac was doing (presumably on the CTS). For example, if a bolt has more than 3 or 4 threads exposed cut the extras off to save a bit of weight. My personal comment ... the Camaro is slightly larger than the ATS, but looks like it will weigh about the same -validating what Al said.
  • On AWD ... indicated that there would be limited interest, would add extra cost, the car should stay true to its DNA, and that AWD doesn't fit with the Camaro. So it sounds like a 'no' until at least the 7th gen ... and my own guess says don't count on it then or in the 8th gen either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 06-12-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added a summary
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Old 06-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
Thebeezwax

Drives: Has 4 wheels
I lost interest in watching because the first 3 minutes are BS
Thebeezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The base Camaro (4 and 6) lost 300 lbs compared to the gen5. Time mark 6:25

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The base Camaro (4 and 6) lost 300 lbs compared to the gen5. Time mark 6:25
Yep and the 4 and 6 have the same mass....there's the answer to how the LGX will outperform the T4.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
So the 335 hp v6 will be 34xx lbs. Aside from torque that looks close to 4th gen ls1 territory for power and weight. Considering a ls1 is ~350hp and they weigh close to that as well.

That's going to beat the ecoboost no problem.

Are challenger 5.7 owners going to be scared of v6 camaros?

I would never get the v6 but it is going to have some serious performance. Mid 13s stock by a private owner wouldn't surprise me.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
So the 335 hp v6 will be 34xx lbs. Aside from torque that looks close to 4th gen ls1 territory for power and weight. Considering a ls1 is ~350hp and they weigh close to that as well.

That's going to beat the ecoboost no problem.

Are challenger 5.7 owners going to be scared of v6 camaros?

I would never get the v6 but it is going to have some serious performance. Mid 13s stock by a private owner wouldn't surprise me.
Seems like it to me. Think it should be able to match 4th gen LS1 A4 performance with the A8.

Also note the 300lbs was for base T4 and V6. I imagine the 2LT will cut that to probably 250lbs.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Seems like it to me. Think it should be able to match 4th gen LS1 A4 performance with the A8.

Also note the 300lbs was for base T4 and V6. I imagine the 2LT will cut that to probably 250lbs.
For sure.

I'm going to test drive one just for the heck of it.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
GM has been touting the SS being faster than the 1LE. I'm surprised no one asked if that was the standard suspension or optional MRC.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
GM has been touting the SS being faster than the 1LE. I'm surprised no one asked if that was the standard suspension or optional MRC.

@ 14:20 it's mentioned as optional

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
To beat the 1le with standard suspension tailored to the average consumer I would be blown away. This would be a total embarrassment to the gtpp as well.

I highly doubt it but we will see...
Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
To beat the 1le with standard suspension tailored to the average consumer I would be blown away. This would be a total embarrassment to the gtpp as well.

I highly doubt it but we will see...
That's exactly what makes me think it's with MRC. Only way to get the best of both worlds. This isn't to say a 6th gen without won't handle significantly better than a 5th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
23:15 Will there be a more street able version of the Z/28? It's the king of the hill for a reason... the 1LE is the hidden gem... there is your street version...

Sounds like no regrets on the Z/28 and no backing down to me

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 1LE View Post
@ 14:20 it's mentioned as optional
I think most know mrc is an extra cost option.
But they have never said if it was the mrc ss car specifically that is already besting the 1le.

I would imagine it is but they haven't said...