Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
I'm running a 223/239 114lsa cam with a tvs2300.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
I'm running a 223/239 114lsa cam with a tvs2300.
That's a great boost cam (as I am sure you know). Only 3 degrees of overlap and probably has a bit of a lumpy idle. Did you do it before or after you installed the blower?
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
IMO people over emphasise the effects of overlap. I doubt it would cost any real power, at worst perhaps just use a little extra fuel.

Most blower cams are called such as they are just a milder cam with less overlap so they can have nicer driving manners. With a mild cam and a blower there are no downsides. it will always make good power everywhere.

With a big cam with overlap, it may be crappy low down, but perform excellent at the top end. Or you could aim somewhere in the middle.

But nobody will know what the "best" cam is for your engine until they test it on your engine, and people rarely do that, so all cams are a guess as to what they think is best.

Just use the cam you have, if you are happy with how it performs now, it will work perfectly fine with the blower, except make more power everywhere.

The very first cam I ever used with an SC on my own car some 7 years ago was TR 230/236 on 112LSA. It worked great, I had no issues with it's performance at all. The only reason I changed it was because I wanted a smoother idle. ( a very mild 346 with YSi at around 15psi )

One of the guys from Australia at the time kept telling me to go much bigger on the cam. Yes idle etc will suffer, but it will just keep making more power at the top. I stuck with mild though.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
MyOrangeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Im running the livernois stage 2R max cam, I bought a vortech V3 Si about 6 months later and I called Livernois to see if they were compatible and of course they said no, I needed to buy there blower cam. I figured they just want me to spend more money with them, so I called vortech and gave them the cam specs and they said I would be good to go. So Ive had that set up for a year now (6000 miles) and have had no major issues. PM me with any other questions
MyOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOrangeSS View Post
Im running the livernois stage 2R max cam, I bought a vortech V3 Si about 6 months later and I called Livernois to see if they were compatible and of course they said no, I needed to buy there blower cam. I figured they just want me to spend more money with them, so I called vortech and gave them the cam specs and they said I would be good to go. So Ive had that set up for a year now (6000 miles) and have had no major issues. PM me with any other questions

Good to know thanks for sharing. Sent you a PM.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
first, what are the cam specs on that?
second, you have had no major issues, so you have had minor issues? what were they?
third, how do you know you wouldn't be making more power with a more appropriate cam? having a blower cam with a blower isn't about not having issues, it's about optimal specs.
fourth, did you buy the blower before of after you cleared the cam specs with vortech?

like has been discussed, a proper cam vs a less than ideal cam might not be but 15 hp but it might be a lot more. it all depends on the total combination. just saying none of it matters or makes a difference based on a call you made to vortech doesn't mean it applies to all applications.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
And until someone actually tests dozens of profiles on his exact combination, any other cam choice is just as much of a guess as what he is currently using.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I'm seriously considering putting a blower on my LPE GT1-1 cam (229/242 .631/.631 114LSA). We'll see how it goes...
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
And until someone actually tests dozens of profiles on his exact combination, any other cam choice is just as much of a guess as what he is currently using.
within a certain range of cam specs, yes, it is a gray area. however, there are plenty of sophisticated programs out there that can get you very close to what is right without doing a cam swap shootout, car craft style....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
I'm seriously considering putting a blower on my LPE GT1-1 cam (229/242 .631/.631 114LSA). We'll see how it goes...
I think you should.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
You can run just about any cam with a blower, it's just not optimum to run that cam with a blower. We run the 1C and 2C cams NA and with a blower all the time and they work great both ways.

-Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
VanquisherSS

Thanks everyone for the good replies, I think i'll go ahead and put some boost to my ECS cam. Why not lol.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Thanks everyone for the good replies, I think i'll go ahead and put some boost to my ECS cam. Why not lol.

soon POWER!!!

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Line View Post

soon POWER!!!