Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-02-2023, 06:19 PM   #1
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Questions for an upgrade to Gen 6

Evening all. I’m planning a soon upgrade from Gen 5 to Gen 6 and I seek your opinions on a few things.

What exactly is the “dual mode exhaust” and is it worth it?

The strut tower brace is not standard on the vert and do you miss it?

Launch control, yes or no?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
I will only address the dual mode exhaust (NPP). I my opinion is is a must. I have had it on 5 Vettes and soon on a 1SS. You can have the exhaust in quiet mode and a louder, yet not obnoxious mode.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:40 PM   #3
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
Dual mode exhaust basically makes it so when theyre closed you wont be the bane of the neighborhood when you go to cold start first thing in the morning, but when open you’ll still get great sound when you wanna mash it wot.
As someone that came from a gen v convertible and thought I would regret getting rid of it for a 6 back in 2018, do yourself a favor and get the 6, nevermind even talking about the power difference, the suspension is what will make up your mind as it’s a night and day difference.
Strut bar makes no difference in the 6 like it did for the 5, which is why they left it out.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #4
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
Evening all. I’m planning a soon upgrade from Gen 5 to Gen 6 and I seek your opinions on a few things.

What exactly is the “dual mode exhaust” and is it worth it?

The strut tower brace is not standard on the vert and do you miss it?

Launch control, yes or no?
NPP is a must. You'll kick yourself in the nads if don't get it.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:53 PM   #5
RayKinStL

Drives: 2022 LT1
NPP is an upgrade I would always spring for. Besides the sound, you also get the look of the 4 tips on the back instead of the two.

If you are going with a vert, then I am guessing you are not big on tracking. I would think that would be where the strut brace would really matter. Upgrades like that that really super fine tune the handling and stiffness of the car seem to have the most impact when you are really tracking your vehicle. I'm not saying you couldn't feel it in daily driving, but if that is all you are really doing, then I don't think you will miss it that much.

I have no idea on Launch Control and when that is standard and when it isn't. I would guess it is an SS and ZL1 thing that comes with them, but I could definitely be wrong on that.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
NPP is a must. You'll kick yourself in the nads if don't get it.
LOL! The NPP is awesome. As others have said it gives you the option to have a quieter exhaust when you want it and a louder more troaty exhaust when you want it, all with the push of a button.

The Gen6 is also a great handling chassis. And it rides pretty well too.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 06:59 AM   #7
MisterMarauder

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red ZL1
The strut tower brace is standard on the LT1/SS convertible.

Current
2023 Radiant Red ZL1
1992 Z28

Previous
2018 2SS Redline Edition
1992 RS
MisterMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:56 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
NPP - Each side has two exhaust tips. The inboard pair (one each side) are always operational and exhaust flows through the muffler baffles before exiting. The outboard pair are "straight through" and gases do NOT pass through the baffles. There are valves on the outboard pair to determine when they are operational (or not). Opening them increases volume and changes the overall tone. I REALLY wanted this option on my car, but went without to get everything else. I put on the GM Performance exhaust upgrade (Borla S-Type wearing a Bow Tie) and couldn't be happier.

The strut brace is present on the convertibles (most) to enhance body stiffness due to the "missing roof".

Launch Control is present on all Camaros, I believe. It's on all the V8's, at least.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:43 AM   #9
grgus73

Drives: 2024 Silverado 2500, 2018 Trax
Definitely get the dual mode exhaust. My 1SS did not come with it and in hindsight would have gotten it. Now looking at upgrading to a non-NPP option. Would have been cheaper to just get it included.

I had Launch Control on a past car as well and honestly never used it. Thinking it is included on V8s.
grgus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:43 AM   #10
johnfoster

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Summit White
A bit of a different opinion.... I got single exhaust on purpose, and then immediately replaced it with a Borla S-Type axle back (at the time, this was the same cost as going with NPP - Borla is now more expensive). If you want louder than S-Type, you can go with ATAK. I think it sounds better than the NPP, but there is no control over the sound like there is with NPP. If money is no object, then go with NPP and get Borla S-Type with the NPP option.
johnfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:11 PM   #11
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
Dual mode exhaust basically makes it so when theyre closed you wont be the bane of the neighborhood when you go to cold start first thing in the morning, but when open you’ll still get great sound when you wanna mash it wot.
As someone that came from a gen v convertible and thought I would regret getting rid of it for a 6 back in 2018, do yourself a favor and get the 6, nevermind even talking about the power difference, the suspension is what will make up your mind as it’s a night and day difference.
Strut bar makes no difference in the 6 like it did for the 5, which is why they left it out.
The suspension is better with lighter weight?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:16 PM   #12
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Yes, strut brace is standard on the all V8 Camaro’s. NPP is nicely done by GM. Although i never have it in quiet mode. Makes the on side cleaner than the other.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak99 View Post
Yes, strut brace is standard on the all V8 Camaro’s. NPP is nicely done by GM. Although i never have it in quiet mode. Makes the on side cleaner than the other.
Only on the convertibles.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:15 AM   #14
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
I definitely agree that getting the NPP Dual Mode Exhaust is must have and best bang for the buck option as mentioned by several responses.
First, I think its almost worth it for the awesome looks of the quad tips alone.
Then you get more aggressive sound, and the ability to on the fly drop it down from Sport to Tour, or even to Stealth mode (I also use this rarely but nice to have when you want it).
And I think it also helps resale value as I know NPP option was one of the first options I checked for on any new or used Camaro's I was looking at.

I think the only reason not to get it (as just mentioned above), is if you want to save $1k to put it to a custom exhaust that you know you want.