Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #29
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Awesome picture and thank you. So- How is it???

what did you use and forgive me if I didn't look for previous threads just point in the right direction if there's a link. So - it CAN be done space wise.

Do you think by guestimation that the borla box might fit in there?

Anyone Recommendations for round actual mufflers with actual baffles?

I don't "think" I am as concerned about a little drone as opposed to shaving the rasp sound. It just goes through me when there are passengers, i.e. radio is on while solo. I had a factory bmw z4 that droned a lot. Got used to it I guess. Convertible was a reasonable trade off there.

FWIW, I have a tune on this and on my 2.7 ecoboost f150 and surprisingly, the tune on the ecoboost really improved the exhaust note so much It actually sounds "good". The tune on the LTG did help a little, but not as much as I would like.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #30
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Posted what my exhaust was #23 of this thread..
Currently Mishimoto SS exhaust, flopro twister resonator, RPM catted downpipe. All 3" piping.

I'm tuned also with zfr turbo. Cant really say tuning along gives you a different note. Typically a mod would give a different note as the turbo may have slightly altered mine a bit. Cams or change in the exhaust manifold would yield different note more noticeably. I have a full audio system in my car, so it crushes any other noises anyway also. As for the borla, I really dont know the sizes to verify and there are other rounded baffled mufflers out there. Flow master has a hushpower and flopro has a couple options I know of also. Either way, I feel like the Frankenstein of exhaust I have does everything and hard to describe the multiple tones it puts out. Again.. hi flow cat, hi flow resonator, hi flow mufflers with the baffle/drone tubes. Its loud and silent depending on how wide open I get on it and let off.. m6 trans btw
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 AM   #31
wookwook

I am going to give this a try. Borla mid muffler/resonator.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #32
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Removed the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back today and installed the Borla S-Type axle back. Also removed the restrictive factory y-pipe and had a new one made. Just like having a 3" catback now.
Loving the sound of the Borla, absolutely zero drone.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 AM   #33
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8minus4 View Post
Removed the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back today and installed the Borla S-Type axle back. Also removed the restrictive factory y-pipe and had a new one made. Just like having a 3" catback now.
Loving the sound of the Borla, absolutely zero drone.
Flowmaster was too loud?
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #34
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Flowmaster was too loud?
Excellent exhaust note on the outside, but it was a little too loud in the cabin.
It didn't bother me at first, but after a while it started to be too much. The Borla has zero drone, no vibration and good cabin sound. Well worth the investment.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #35
Archangle

Drives: 2017 ice sliver 1LT
I run a ZZP hi-flo catted down pipe and the Injen SES7300 catback system it's true 3'' turbo back exhaust. I love it.
Archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #36
LTwin86

Today installed totally new custom exhaust system on 76mm tube with Borla XR resonator and NXT Step performance mufflers. The sound is awesome, no drone at all! Bass is so sweet on the idle to high rpm. Will put photos later.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #37
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangle View Post
I run a ZZP hi-flo catted down pipe and the Injen SES7300 catback system it's true 3'' turbo back exhaust. I love it.
Bro, you are the only person on the face of the earth that is running the Injen SES exhaust. I've always wondered what it sounded like. Can you please for the love of god and all that is good, please post a video sound clip of that bad boy?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #38
LTwin86

My config. Nxt step + Borla resonator XR, 76mm tube. Bass is so sweet, but you will not hear it on 100% on the video. Exhaust is just a little bit louder than stock with downpipe, like it so much.
https://youtu.be/qUo4uUDRrkk
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #39
wookwook

With the fat borla resonator and stock muffler my car is so quiet. That's how I like mine personally. With the muted notes inside and out you really wouldn't know its a 4 banger. Its just general (quiet) noise with no thin sound at all. It gives a very slight beat of harmonically aligned notes occasionally on hard pulls. Wished it where a little more "defined" if that's at all a way to say it. Maybe a look at the borla sport down the road. Its the turbo that gets in the way of those pulses that designers use to make the music. Being a musician my perceptions about it are probably skewed that way so if I sound against the grain I'm not, I'm just particular in a different way. Now what in the heck can be done about that XM radio? Nice articles and picks keep them coming.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #40
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Bro, you are the only person on the face of the earth that is running the Injen SES exhaust. I've always wondered what it sounded like. Can you please for the love of god and all that is good, please post a video sound clip of that bad boy?

+1

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #41
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
With the fat borla resonator and stock muffler my car is so quiet. That's how I like mine personally. With the muted notes inside and out you really wouldn't know its a 4 banger. Its just general (quiet) noise with no thin sound at all. It gives a very slight beat of harmonically aligned notes occasionally on hard pulls. Wished it where a little more "defined" if that's at all a way to say it. Maybe a look at the borla sport down the road. Its the turbo that gets in the way of those pulses that designers use to make the music. Being a musician my perceptions about it are probably skewed that way so if I sound against the grain I'm not, I'm just particular in a different way. Now what in the heck can be done about that XM radio? Nice articles and picks keep them coming.

You put the Borla resonator on the stock exhaust? Was it a direct fit like it is with their mid-pipe kit, or did you have to have an exhaust shop do the fitment?

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #42
wookwook

Took it to a custom muffler shop in portsmouth nh. A rough crew but they do the work. That part was meant to be welded in. no flanges. It has about 6 inches at one end and about 2 ft of S curve to mate with the rest of the back pipe near the Y i suspect. I didn't even get a chance to see it, he was done in less than an hour by the time i got back from McD's. The car was rolling out the door. I knew from across the parking lot it was either dead or just freaking quite, lol. Comparing to the OEM, I wasn't even sure it was running first time I jumped in. lol. BUT- I love it. I know I will catch flack, but it gives me more of a highly tuned feel and not a raspy loud effect. No way can you improve the exhaust with louder, in my definition of improve. Any solution that doesn't address the resonator is going to pass turbo fuzzing and that will always compete with what little pulses are left over IHMO. I put my dyno up there specifically after only the resonator as my only mod so far.

Sorry its a long winded answer but there you go. Welded fitment only. Charged $100 labor the resonator is $200. $300 total in exhaust. what exhaust. Seat of the pants says it's a little slower spool, but the measurements confirm no real losses. Turbo sounds still strong as ever.

Hope that is informative.