Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Lantzyt

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Convertible
Best exhaust?

I have a 2017 RS I4 and i am looking to up the exhaust sound. I have narrowed it down to Borla Axel-back ATAK 11934 and the Flowmaster American Thunder axel back.

I really like the sound of the Camaro SS performance exhaust, and I know mine will never be close to that, but of the 2, what would sound better? And if you have other recommendations better than these 2 and similar price, what would it be?
Lantzyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantzyt View Post
I have a 2017 RS I4 and i am looking to up the exhaust sound. I have narrowed it down to Borla Axel-back ATAK 11934 and the Flowmaster American Thunder axel back.

I really like the sound of the Camaro SS performance exhaust, and I know mine will never be close to that, but of the 2, what would sound better? And if you have other recommendations better than these 2 and similar price, what would it be?
IMHO getting an $800 axle back for a 4 cylinder camaro is an extraordinary waste of money. At that point, you are only paying for a "Borla" engraving on the exhaust. The flowmaster is also a bit overpriced IMO @ $561.

However, Ill speak from experience, if you plan on going with a catless downpipe, get an exhaust with mufflers.

1st Setup: ZZP Catted DP & Stock Exhaust
2nd Setup: ZZP Catted DP & SLP Loudmouth Axle Back (muffler delete) This sounded fantastic as far as 4-cyl sound goes. I went to catless due to my tune and recommendations for a tuned engine.
3rd Setup: ZZP Catless DP & SLP (the drone was so bad I left it like this for less than 24 hours and reinstalled the catted DP)
4th & Current Setup: ZZP Catless DP & Stock exhaust (sounds OK but am actively looking for a different solution.)

If I had the money, I would have gone for a cat-back setup because I feel like they are better bang for your buck.

Most muffler shops will fab a muffler delete for well under the prices of brand name. I am a sucker for brand name so that's why I went with the SLP. I also didn't get a quote under $650 from a muffler shop.

The Borla is probably "better," but I think they will all sound relatively the same. A muffled exhaust will sound more or less like a muffled exhaust and a muffler delete will more or less sound like a muffler delete.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Honest answer if your already going to spend the 450 to 500 on an axle-back wait save some more and get the Holley or Mishimoto Cat-Back with Mufflers for the 800ish. No exhaust is gonna sound stellar but those two are quality with a good sound and low to no drone. The borla while not bad by any means is overpriced and your paying for the engraving.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Lantzyt

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Honest answer if your already going to spend the 450 to 500 on an axle-back wait save some more and get the Holley or Mishimoto Cat-Back with Mufflers for the 800ish. No exhaust is gonna sound stellar but those two are quality with a good sound and low to no drone. The borla while not bad by any means is overpriced and your paying for the engraving.
something like this? sorry, i am not familiar with the world of modifications
https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...dual-2016.html
Lantzyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantzyt View Post
something like this? sorry, i am not familiar with the world of modifications
https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...dual-2016.html
Yes but with Mufflers that one is a straight pipe design and will drone. Ultimately a cat-back with mufflers will allow you to choose any downpipe you want. When you want more volume added. Whiskeyfed gave a good explanation of the cons of some setups and is steering you in the correct direction with his advice. Ultimately the stock exhaust just kinda sucks and an Axle-back is not that great overall. There are quite a few options available now from when i went with my choice. Namely everything out now wasn't available outside the flowmaster at the time. If your deadset on changing the sound get the cat-back with mufflers.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
I was in your same boat looking at different exhaust setups and watching videos to try to help me decide. I watched a fellow forum member's videos of his exhaust and I loved the sound. He has the Mishimoto Cat-Back with the ZZP Catted Downpipe. I ordered the Mishimoto Cat-Back and it sounded close to the same, very deep and limited drone, exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably be going catless soon so we will see how that changes the sound.
If you want to watch the videos I talked about his youtube is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjZ...EMLjNuIcU5hhhQ
Good luck and take care.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
straight pipe ftw
Old 04-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
straight pipe ftw
Ehhhhhh, then the car sounds like a metal spoon being banged around inside of a tin can. Would be happy to daily a straight piped SS tho...
Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
https://www.shopmrt.com/Version-3-Ax...2-p/91u822.htm

What I run
Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #10
Johnny2343

Drives: 16 1SS 6mn npp
https://www.nxtstepperformance.com/C...8_p/ex7002.htm
I went with this and a catted zzp dp.
Johnny2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:30 AM   #11
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Hi, have the same question. Looking for a muffler, but don't like loud exhaust. From this three, borla s type, flowmaster and Mishimoto, which one will not scream? Flowmaster sounds good on youtube and the cheapest one. What about nxtstep exhaust is it loud?
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_504 View Post
I was in your same boat looking at different exhaust setups and watching videos to try to help me decide. I watched a fellow forum member's videos of his exhaust and I loved the sound. He has the Mishimoto Cat-Back with the ZZP Catted Downpipe. I ordered the Mishimoto Cat-Back and it sounded close to the same, very deep and limited drone, exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably be going catless soon so we will see how that changes the sound.
If you want to watch the videos I talked about his youtube is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjZ...EMLjNuIcU5hhhQ
Good luck and take care.
Yeah, I love the way my car sounds... Lol.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Johnny2343

Drives: 16 1SS 6mn npp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Hi, have the same question. What about nxtstep exhaust is it loud?
Really only when your on it hard but not really, it’s still pretty quiet when cruising
Johnny2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2343 View Post
Really only when your on it hard but not really, it’s still pretty quiet when cruising
If it is not a very big deal for you, could you post video with your exhaust. For such a nice price, looks like it is a good one, but how it is compare with borla s type and flowmaster?
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote