Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Turbo lag

I have searched and read, read and searched and all I get is confused. I am new to forced induction and quite frankly am some what intimidated by some of the abbreviations. I love my little 4 banger and don't have any plans for any major upgrades, I love everything about this car except the turbo lag. So two questions I have been trying to answer are as follows.

Is there any one thing that does better at reducing lag than the other (i.e. CAI, tune, down pipe, etc).

When pulling from a dead stop does it harm anything by holding the brake and increasing RPM before launch (2500, no tire spin), this seems to get me out of the hole quicker.

Thanks in advance.........please be gentle.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
1) Typically, a down pipe has the largest effect on turbo response. However, combining that with an intake and a tune will increase that effect even further for each component added.

2) I assume you have the 8-speed automatic. If so, then that won't do really any harm if you do it for a short duration. There is a term for it, 'brake boosting'; kinda like a pseudo launch control.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
I'm wondering if that lag you are referring to is not lag, but throttle controlled by the pcm(cars computer). For everyday driving I think it has more to do with the pcm's control. Either way, downpipe and or tune is your go to fix.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
Beast-Y-Blue

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel View Post
I have searched and read, read and searched and all I get is confused. I am new to forced induction and quite frankly am some what intimidated by some of the abbreviations. I love my little 4 banger and don't have any plans for any major upgrades, I love everything about this car except the turbo lag. So two questions I have been trying to answer are as follows.

Is there any one thing that does better at reducing lag than the other (i.e. CAI, tune, down pipe, etc).

When pulling from a dead stop does it harm anything by holding the brake and increasing RPM before launch (2500, no tire spin), this seems to get me out of the hole quicker.

There is never a quick fix to my opinion but each fix help some. I noticed the biggest difference with the catless Downpipe. Although i had a cold air intake prior to doing the catless DP. They both help and work well together.... i eventually did throttle body and charge pipe. That helped a little but the biggest difference now is going to be the tune . Until then each mods helps some . Im also getting the e85 flex fluel conversion which is going to make a night and day difference... like i said before there is no quick fix but catless DP and intake made a noticable difference to my opinion
Beast-Y-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:

I think what you are identifying as turbo lag, isn't. Your LTG 2.0 engine will make boost if you breathe on the throttle pedal. If you had a boost gauge, or a data logging device, you'd understand what I'm talking about.

When you hold the brake and the gas down, you're building boost, which will always work to a turbo car's advantage rather than flat footing the throttle.

So when specifically do you think you're incurring lag? With a good answer to that question, we can probably get you pointed in the right direction.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
man0steel

Decided to wait a while before responding to get a better description of what I am trying ti identify. Running around 40mph want to increase speed a little aggressively, give it half throttle.......wait.......then she takes off. Just a basic scenario of what I'm feeling and since this is my first turbo thought it was turbo lag. After reading thru other posts maybe I am experiencing throttle lag instead. Either way I would like it to be more responsive with out having to go WOT.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Decided to wait a while before responding to get a better description of what I am trying ti identify. Running around 40mph want to increase speed a little aggressively, give it half throttle.......wait.......then she takes off. Just a basic scenario of what I'm feeling and since this is my first turbo thought it was turbo lag. After reading thru other posts maybe I am experiencing throttle lag instead. Either way I would like it to be more responsive with out having to go WOT.
It's the drive-by-wire system not your turbo it delays the throttle response from your pedal position it has zero to do with your turbo at all.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
man0steel

So is this why I see a lot of people going with aftermarket throttle controllers, and some may "think" it helps with turbo lag?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
So is this why I see a lot of people going with aftermarket throttle controllers, and some may "think" it helps with turbo lag?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You sir, would probably love one of those "throttle booster" things. Might just give you what you want.
To be clear it doesn't increase turbo response at all it just sends more voltage to the TPS which causes it to open slightly faster then what the drive-by-wire system allows stock. If you slam your foot down you'll get the same feeling sometimes with the controller you can actually dictate how the throttle response feels more. It's more of a feel good mod and everyone has their opinions on it wether they call it snake oil or an awesome mod is up to their own experience. My advice find someone with one for the 6th Gen and try it out if your on the fence.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 06-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Sounds to me like you understand the difference between turbo lag and boost threshold. Because you are describing a roll on scenario and not a from 0 scenario. A from 0 (mph/wheelspeed/engine RPM/whatever) situation has more to do with boost threshold than turbo lag.

So considering that this is a conversation about turbo lag, any flow mod (intake exhaust) has the potential to reduce the amount of time it takes the turbo to reach boost when you are at an RPM > the boost threshold.

IMHO throttle controllers are an interesting solution to this as well. *Note to the throttle controller haters, please read this carefully before replying* The throttle control will often be sending a signal > the actual pedal position. This means that the engine will likely be able to make boost sooner. Additionally the predictive ramping of a throttle controller may reduce (however minimally) the amount of time it takes to reach full boost. Subjectively my car felt like it had less turbo lag after installing a throttle controller on my car (because the throttle map changed).

For the manual cars I really enjoy the no lift shift feature. It dramatically reduces the lag feeling during WOT up-shifts.

Hope my rant helped a little. Thanks for joining the community man0steel
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Monstuh

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT, Hyper Blue
It's because the gearing and the power delivery. If you want power, downshift until your rooms are around 2.5-3k then hit the gas . You will experience and turbo thrust like never before. If you do it at a good speed and get the gearing right. It's fast as ****
Monstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
Monstuh

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT, Hyper Blue
2017 Camaro 2.0t - Not as good as the 2.3t Mustang ?

What are your thoughts. My major point is that the Camaro is light weight and balanced better. Mustang is priced better.
Monstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

And almost a full 2 more years of on road time.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
bodysnatcher
Bodysnatcher

Drives: 2017 Black RS
I have notices that to what the thread is about and on the fence about the down pipes and CAI. I did run a Roush Mustang this weekend and was beat but not by much, he freaked out when told him I only had a 4 cylinder in the Camaro and just factory with no mods.
bodysnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote