Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
If you aren't going to track the car at all, do not get the ZL1, and DEFINITELY do not get a ZL1-1LE. The ZL1 just on its own is a full fledged track car and it will never be the "Cruiser with the wife and kids to car shows on the weekend" car you think its going to be. If you are considering a ZL1-1LE "just because its so cool looking" that says to me, you don't know what you are getting into, and you'd be making a big mistake. These cars are meant for hardcore track racing and are really rather pointless unless you are regularly flogging them to death on a huge road course. People will debate this point, and say it's just a cool car and why not buy it. I think thats a load of BS. A ZL1 is not a toy or something to just drop into a dealership and bring home just because it looks "cool", although Chevrolet would have you believe that.

Save 20,000 dollars, get a 2SS non-1LE. You can make it look like a ZL1 1LE later if you really want, though I'm not sure why you'd want a bunch of aero parts on a car that you are road-tripping with the wife and kids in, and not taking to the track.
I get your point but then I would just get a Nissan Altima with that logic. Ive had a few Z06's and a Camaro SS/RS with 500HP I just sold. Because I don't race doesn't mean I don't enjoy some spirited driving. The advice I'm leaning towards is get it without the 1LE option. Only reason I was concerned is I see so many for sale with very low miles.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I get your point but then I would just get a Nissan Altima with that logic. Ive had a few Z06's and a Camaro SS/RS with 500HP I just sold. Because I don't race doesn't mean I don't enjoy some spirited driving. The advice I'm leaning towards is get it without the 1LE option. Only reason I was concerned is I see so many for sale with very low miles.
And there's a reason for that
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #17
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Just by the way you posted and talked about the ZL1 and the ZLE, I would say just for you sake get the ZLE. You talk about how cool it looks and when it comes down to it no one else on this forum will be driving the car or making the payments for you. Just because you buy a car that they say is "fully track focused" does not mean you need to drive it all the time on the track. If you look on the forum others have purchased a ZLE and never plan to take it to the track. The car is bad ass, and by reading your post it seems like your wife and daughter won't always be in the car. Get the car you think looks bad ass and you get excited about looking at (which in all honesty the ZL1 and ZLE are both bad ass). I knew if it was possible and I had the money I would 100% get the ZLE because you never know, you might get the itch to go to the track with it. Maybe look into getting a '19 ZLE A10. Good luck with the search and congrats on whichever you get!
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You live in FL. Do you want a rare car that is kickass fun and gets attention at shows?

Get a ZL1 vert!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #19
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
In your opinion how hard is the ride for regular driving?
Hard to say... It's so subjective. The ride is less hard / stiff than I expected. Maybe that's 'cause I had BC Racing coilovers on my '10 SS? Idk. The ride is stiffer than my 5th gen.

You HEAR the 1LE suspension much more than magride. Every bump, pothole reflects a clunk. It's not a quiet suspension. But, personally, I don't find the ride too harsh. My wife would disagree though.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #20
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I was in the same situation, if you're worried about the ride and not going to track, non-1LE. That was my decision.
This may be a little curve for ya, if the A10 was available in the 1LE when I bought mine. Hands down 1LE.
Go with your gut?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I was looking to upgrade from my 2016 2SS and thinking about a 2018 or 2019 SS 1LE when I saw the used 2017 ZL1 listed on cars.com with only 422 miles for a very good price and decided to go with the Z. I have had the ZL1 over a month now enjoy it every time I get it out and no regrets. Paully you will have to make the decision ultimately as to which ZL1 you will get as all of us Z owners have our opinions on which one is the best. Get the one that makes you happy!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #22
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
ZLE is geared much shorter than base ZL1. 6th doing 60mph is ~2k RPM in the ZLE. In the base ZL1 60mph is more like 1400.
For a daily livable car I think the taller gear would be much nicer.
ZLE is noticeably stiffer too. ZL1 is just fine for a road trip. Pass anything but a gas station, amirite?
As far as track duty is concerned, a ZL1 is just fine not being a track toy. ZLE is too for that matter... just have to compromise on some comforts compared tot he ZL1.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #23
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
🎵 It's your money, use it the way you want it.🎵
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #24
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Thank you for all the advice and information, it really made me research even more. I took every reply and really read them through. I test drove a zl1 today 6 speed it really felt quite refined and very controllable. Even more so then my Z06. With that and lots of help I think I’m going with the zl1 1le version. That is if it’s still there Monday morning. Hopefully to post pics when it’s home. I’ll have to drive it 200 miles Home because I think a u haul trailer is too risky but heck that should be the best part.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #25
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
You live in FL. Do you want a rare car that is kickass fun and gets attention at shows?

Get a ZL1 vert!

+1 to this.
Road-tripping in a vert is about as good as it gets. My kids tell me it's like being in a roller-coaster whenever I take them out.

If you are set on a hard-top, get the ZL1. If you like the looks of the 1LE you can always add those aero bits later.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Make sure you post up your new ride when you get it!