Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
MaumaroZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Hyper Blue Metallic
ZL1 Throttle Body Thoughts

So PRAY had some great photos of what he has done to the stock 87mm LT4 throttle bodies (taking the throttle shaft from 16mm to 3mm) which got me thinking what makes any of the other vendor's TB special? What are everyone's thoughts on the Tony Momo, VMAX, PRAY, or Katech? Has anyone done a dyno comparison of between two or more of these or have dyno sheets on theirs at least, pre/post-install?

Last edited by MaumaroZL1; 04-18-2018 at 03:51 PM.
MaumaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I have a Tony Mamo TB. 2017 A10. I don't notice any difference in driving behavior at all and haven't done a dyno after installing.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
MaumaroZL1

Oh wow, no difference? Maybe its an A10 thing then, there seem to be a number of M6 folks who talk about instant seat of the pants/feel of the foot difference in throttle response from Tony Mamo's
Old 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I have the TM throttle body in my 1LE. Just comparing the stock TB with Tony's out of the box you can see the difference easily. Sure enough, the improved and more efficient airflow makes a noticeable difference. Much sharper throttle reponse just off the line and under part throttle. I dunno that I feel an actual increase in power, but the car is just more snappy, for lack of a better term, when I apply the gas. I noticed the same effect in my GTO when I had Vengeance Racing polish my stock throttle body, but more so in the Camaro (which has a smaller and less efficient TB from the factory). By the way, the supercharger whine is more noticeable with the TM TB as well.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
I have a Tony Mamo and the response is obviously increased. He posted a lot of info about them. Dynod results and such....if you can find the thread.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I have a Tony Mamo and the response is obviously increased. He posted a lot of info about them. Dynod results and such....if you can find the thread.
I've tried to find dynos on these and haven't seen any. I don't like to go by seat of the pants feelings cause placebo is a strong thing. Unless I can find proven numbers I shy away.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Here is a dyno video of the V-Max. It was worth about 6 RWHP on the SS. I would think a bit more on the ZL1 due to forced induction. You won't see much difference if any difference at all between different ported TBs out there. So I say go with whichever one you like better. I chose Katech because the price was great and there was no core charge stuff or nonsense with sending in the stock one. Just order theirs and it comes in the mail. But choose whichever one you prefer.

https://youtu.be/vNK5CfD907k
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
I have the TM throttle body in my 1LE. Just comparing the stock TB with Tony's out of the box you can see the difference easily. Sure enough, the improved and more efficient airflow makes a noticeable difference. Much sharper throttle reponse just off the line and under part throttle. I dunno that I feel an actual increase in power, but the car is just more snappy, for lack of a better term, when I apply the gas. I noticed the same effect in my GTO when I had Vengeance Racing polish my stock throttle body, but more so in the Camaro (which has a smaller and less efficient TB from the factory). By the way, the supercharger whine is more noticeable with the TM TB as well.
Exactly what SJFGTO said. I installed mine last weekend along with a K&N CAI.

Thanks Tony!!!
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
From what I understand, the gains of a Ported TB aren't necessarily the peak RWHP/TQ but the gains under the curve, low end/mid range, and snappier throttle response/reduced lag/stutter, especially helpful for M6 guys but noticeable for A10 as well. I'm going to order a pair of Mamo ones for my LT4 cars.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
Buzzmanb12

Drives: '17 ZL1
Most FI cars don’t gain a lot on the intake side, getting all the air out thru freer flowing exhaust is where the bigger gains are made if you are not modding or changing the blower.
The crispy throttle response is the big benefit of better TB’s.
Buzzmanb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #11
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
I just got an email yesterday notifying me that my Tony Mamo TB has shipped, and will be delivered later today. I should have it on no later than Saturday, and I am anxious to see what a difference it makes.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
port the blower and get a 103 if ya going spend money!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
MaumaroZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
port the blower and get a 103 if ya going spend money!
[From what I understand, the gains of a Ported TB aren't necessarily the peak RWHP/TQ but the gains under the curve, low end/mid range, and snappier throttle response/reduced lag/stutter, especially helpful for M6 guys but noticeable for A10 as well. I'm going to order a pair of Mamo ones for my LT4 cars.]

^^ Exactly, I would expect improved response under the curve to improve the 0-60 times, everyone seems to vouch pretty hard for the Mamo. Has anyone done a larger TB swap through him on the Gen6? Over on the Vette forums he has done heads, cams, intakes, etc on Vette, just wondering if anyone has gone full r*tard on their Gen6 porting yet? The more I look into it the more I am convinced that if I am spending the money to focus on improving intake efficiency then porting the TB and Blower both is really the way to go and if I am doing that I might as well increase the size of the intake path and go 2" headers on the back end to even out the boost changes?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaumaroZL1 View Post
[From what I understand, the gains of a Ported TB aren't necessarily the peak RWHP/TQ but the gains under the curve, low end/mid range, and snappier throttle response/reduced lag/stutter, especially helpful for M6 guys but noticeable for A10 as well. I'm going to order a pair of Mamo ones for my LT4 cars.]

^^ Exactly, I would expect improved response under the curve to improve the 0-60 times, everyone seems to vouch pretty hard for the Mamo. Has anyone done a larger TB swap through him on the Gen6? Over on the Vette forums he has done heads, cams, intakes, etc on Vette, just wondering if anyone has gone full r*tard on their Gen6 porting yet? The more I look into it the more I am convinced that if I am spending the money to focus on improving intake efficiency then porting the TB and Blower both is really the way to go and if I am doing that I might as well increase the size of the intake path and go 2" headers on the back end to even out the boost changes?
What's the cost of a ported blower vs a Magnuson / Whipple? Would the only benefit be that it appears stock when you lift the hood?