Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #1
VinceK

Drives: 2019 6.2L V8 SS
A8 Shudder Discussion - Tuned Vehicles

Hey guys - just a quick question, looking for some of your personal experiences/stories when dealing with this.

Has anyone had this issue start for them a bit after getting their tune done? If so, did you try to go back to the dealership for the triple flush? Did they give you grief or just perform the flush? (Of course there's that flowchart that says to void warranty upon noticing a tuned ECM, so curious how this has gone in the face of an obvious issue with the transmission itself for some of you.)

Also maybe it is in my head, but I feel if when I make it up to cruising speeds - if I switch into manual mode and keep the car limited to M6, the shudder does not happen (despite being consistently able to provoke it in D). Anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry to those tired of seeing this issue discussed - but just looking for some up-to-date personal experiences now that these have been pumped out for a while.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I've never had this shudder issue when driving maybe a few times in shit cold weather on the first wot then nothing.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Vincek, I know a couple guys this has happened too after tuning. The consensus was that the higher power levels exaggerated the factory slip% tables even further. I'm afraid the flush treatment is really only a band aid. It's like being low on coolant, and just adding more coolant instead of addressing the root cause. There have been many successful examples of tuners Zeroing out the slip% tables for each gear, and removing the shudder permanently, as long as the torque converter was not too far gone/damaged.
As far as getting a hard time at your dealership, you should be just fine. There is no reason to even tell them you are tuned, and there is O reason for them to check if you are tuned when performing the flush procedure. We have done hundreds of these at our shop, and the only time GM ever requested write counts was after multiple attempts to correct shudder failed, and a transmission replacement was authorized by TACH. I would also be weary if the dealer informs you they want to replace the torque converter, there is a small chance write counts could be requested.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
VinceK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Vincek, I know a couple guys this has happened too after tuning. The consensus was that the higher power levels exaggerated the factory slip% tables even further. I'm afraid the flush treatment is really only a band aid. It's like being low on coolant, and just adding more coolant instead of addressing the root cause. There have been many successful examples of tuners Zeroing out the slip% tables for each gear, and removing the shudder permanently, as long as the torque converter was not too far gone/damaged.
As far as getting a hard time at your dealership, you should be just fine. There is no reason to even tell them you are tuned, and there is O reason for them to check if you are tuned when performing the flush procedure. We have done hundreds of these at our shop, and the only time GM ever requested write counts was after multiple attempts to correct shudder failed, and a transmission replacement was authorized by TACH. I would also be weary if the dealer informs you they want to replace the torque converter, there is a small chance write counts could be requested.
I was going to hold off until I upgraded my turbo to do the TCM unlock... but I don't want this to rattle other issues into play, so I just purchased the unlock service from HPT.

We'll consider this Vince's 2nd Camaro issue being tackled with live-feed. Once unlocked, I'll reach back out to ZZP and use up the remainder of the credits that came with my interface. Would have gotten this done eventually anyhow.

Will update again post-tuning after putting some time into driving the vehicle. Hopefully help others who have also been on the fence for getting this done to their 2017.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Same. I'm sending my TCM out friday to be unlocked.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

You guys gotta update us after tuning !!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

I will be, i intend to see if my tuner is alright with documenting it on youtube.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #8
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
My car shutters in 1-2 and then later from 7-8 and downshift....A8 used manual to see what gears cause a shutter
Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

7-8 is super common with shudder condition present. Not so much 1-2..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #10
VinceK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You guys gotta update us after tuning !!
Boring update, but progress being made - HPT confirmed reception of my TCM yesterday. I never realized, but they are maybe 15 minutes from where I used to live in Illinois... very sad.

In any case, I provided them an overnight shipping label for the return - so fingers crossed, we'll get the TCM back in on Monday and hopefully tune on Tuesday if availability works out.

Next update should be post-tune.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceK View Post
Boring update, but progress being made - HPT confirmed reception of my TCM yesterday. I never realized, but they are maybe 15 minutes from where I used to live in Illinois... very sad.

In any case, I provided them an overnight shipping label for the return - so fingers crossed, we'll get the TCM back in on Monday and hopefully tune on Tuesday if availability works out.

Next update should be post-tune.
Nice sending mine out tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #12
VinceK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Nice sending mine out tomorrow.
Get it done! Curious about the performance side of this too... hoping results will be beneficial in more ways than one. Going into it with a neutral mindset... don't want to be disappointed when all is said and done.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceK View Post
Get it done! Curious about the performance side of this too... hoping results will be beneficial in more ways than one. Going into it with a neutral mindset... don't want to be disappointed when all is said and done.
There's an article Jason@JacFab wrote up on a good portion of it that outlines a few things it's mostly dependent on what your looking for. Are you racing or a show and daily driver i guess those things would determine what you do with torque management. Everything else is shift points and slip% etc.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
below is the article I wrote on tips and tricks for tuning the transmission. I've been working on my transmission tune since almost day one, I've never experienced any shudder.

http://www.ltgrevolution.com/home/ar...-transmission/
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote