Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
Hmmmm. I might need to check my brakes. I've got 5,000 ish miles, five track days, and two more coming up next weekend. What are the specs on the brakes, how thin can the pads be for a two day track event?
I would not recommend starting any track event with less that 50% pad left. Check both sides as they sometimes wear unevenly. Have fun!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #30
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
My dealership checked my pads today. Rears are practically new, fronts show just a little more wear, well over 50%. I have 5 track days and about 5,500 miles.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #31
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
I have run stock pads. My first front set lasted three days, second front set did about two days with maybe half a day of life remaining. These are in advanced open passing groups at Auto Club Speedway and Laguna Seca, which both have heavy braking zones.

The pads do fade a bit when hot. They lose some friction but they will still work if you press the pedal harder. Never boiled fluid, and never overheated the calipers (no color change like you probably see when you brake hard with high friction race pads).

I'm perfectly happy with them for track days since they keep the rotors and calipers in good condition. They can also be streeted, but the burnish layer will scrape off after a day or two or cold street driving. At every track day, I use the first morning session to reburnish the pads until they turn white at the contact. You should see the rotors glaze blue. If they look uneven or are gray, you are not braking hard enough or getting the pads hot enough.

Once burnished they work pretty well. Don't forget stockers are like half the price of proper race pads.
+1 on using the OEM pads.. I tracked the 2015 more than 5 or 6 times on the OEM stuff Now I did buy and replace with OEM. I just finished up Willow Springs with the 2018 SS 1LE and they held up great.

I eventually had to replace the OEM rotors on the 2015 and still went with the OEM pads for the cost savings. But the the rotors were changed to EBC slotted and dimpled to add more cooling.

If you look at the 2017 SS 1LE/ZL1 the rotors are more aggressive in cooling vane. I would say ... may just keep rotors OEM as time comes to replace.

Last edited by Ventura 1LE; 04-18-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I dont understand how the knee pad falls off. Are you guys bumping it with your knee or does it simply vibrate loose.
I was on a very bumpy track and my knee bumped it and it just fell off. First time it's every been off.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote