Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
ZL-1 1Le Torque Steer, goes left on throttle

So I get my new ZL-1 1LE yesterday, and I notice driving back to the shop from the dealer, when I accelerate from 60 mph about 1/2 throttle the car pulls left.

I think to myself we will put it on the alignment machine and check it out, sure enough the alignment is all over the place, Yep there's the problem I thought.

So we set all the tire pressures and we put the upper strut mounts in race mode and did the alignment to perfection.

I am all excited to start putting some miles on, I pick up my wife at home and head out to start breaking in the motor, I finally get to the highway and same thing, the harder you push on the throttle the harder it pulls left.

This car will change lanes with the steering wheel perfectly straight with Moderate throttle.

So I pulled up the ELSD gauge on the dash and I see the Percentage rise on throttle and it was showing small amounts of tire slip even with none.

So I dropped the car off at my shop and called it a night.

This morning I went through the entire suspension, front and back looking for something that can shift or is lose and torqued every bolt and everything was perfect.

We even went so far as to measure the rear tires for circumference to see if I had a larger tire on one side, NOPE perfectly the same.

This leads me to think there is something going on with the ELSD.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Nrfd79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
So I get my new ZL-1 1LE yesterday, and I notice driving back to the shop from the dealer, when I accelerate from 60 mph about 1/2 throttle the car pulls left.

I think to myself we will put it on the alignment machine and check it out, sure enough the alignment is all over the place, Yep there's the problem I thought.

So we set all the tire pressures and we put the upper strut mounts in race mode and did the alignment to perfection.

I am all excited to start putting some miles on, I pick up my wife at home and head out to start breaking in the motor, I finally get to the highway and same thing, the harder you push on the throttle the harder it pulls left.

This car will change lanes with the steering wheel perfectly straight with Moderate throttle.

So I pulled up the ELSD gauge on the dash and I see the Percentage rise on throttle and it was showing small amounts of tire slip even with none.

So I dropped the car off at my shop and called it a night.

This morning I went through the entire suspension, front and back looking for something that can shift or is lose and torqued every bolt and everything was perfect.

We even went so far as to measure the rear tires for circumference to see if I had a larger tire on one side, NOPE perfectly the same.

This leads me to think there is something going on with the ELSD.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Ted.
The only time mine will do anything like that is if it finds a rut in the road. I've had it almost take the wheel out of my hands a couple times. But nothing like what yours is doing. Good luck
Nrfd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrfd79 View Post
The only time mine will do anything like that is if it finds a rut in the road. I've had it almost take the wheel out of my hands a couple times. But nothing like what yours is doing. Good luck
NO this happens on perfectly smooth road and is repeatable every time.

I did it 10 times in a row on a perfectly smooth highway in all three lanes.

Cruising I can let go of the wheel, start rolling the throttle down and it will change lanes while holding the wheel straight.

Ted.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Nrfd79

Quote:

Cruising I can let go of the wheel, start rolling the throttle down and it will change lanes while holding the wheel straight.

Ted.
Yeah that's crazy. Something has to be moving. A bad bushing or something going on. I would measure the rear axle make sure its not off a touch. I've seen it in other cars but never a Camaro. Just a thought
Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:

Ted.
I am betting on a defective tire. If the steel belts are not exact, you will have a pull.

I had this issue once on my old C5 Z06. Tracked straight, got new tires and immediately had a pull on throttle.

Took it back to the tire shop, had them order me a new tire, and BAM, tracked straight again.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Nrfd79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I am betting on a defective tire. If the steel belts are not exact, you will have a pull.

I had this issue once on my old C5 Z06. Tracked straight, got new tires and immediately had a pull on throttle.

Took it back to the tire shop, had them order me a new tire, and BAM, tracked straight again.
Yeah seen that as well. Good catch. Switch the tires to different sides and see if it changes..
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
I hope that's all it is.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrfd79 View Post
Yeah seen that as well. Good catch. Switch the tires to different sides and see if it changes..
We did that just need it to stop snowing so I can test it.

I am betting on the ELSD.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

No, thankfully.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
There is a recent thread floating around about this being a somewhat common complaint.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
There is a recent thread floating around about this being a somewhat common complaint.
Any information you can share will be much appreciated.

The dealer is speaking with GM technical assistance, I am waiting for a response now.

I should note this is not a minor pull, it will change lanes with heavy throttle and no tire slip.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Any information you can share will be much appreciated.

The dealer is speaking with GM technical assistance, I am waiting for a response now.

I should note this is not a minor pull, it will change lanes with heavy throttle and no tire slip.
The issue you’re describing is NOTHING like anyone has mentioned before. Which is good and bad. Best of luck getting it figured out! I’d hope for tires or an rear end issue.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm hoping that it is tires, an eLSD issue is opening a big ol' can of worms. As long of a period of time that some of these sets of GY 3R's have been sitting loaded in sub freezing conditions in Lansing, a tire issue would not surprise me at all.

Best of luck with this issue. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

It really sucks I have a track event paid for next Sat, I need this resolved before then.