Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Banhammer

In an effort to help our aftermarket community stay up-to-date i've went ahead and done the unthinkable for me!!!

So i know we're having an issue with i believe PIN 38 being the E85 PIN and it's currently taken. I know we discussed this somewhere else before but did we ever figure out what is taking that PIN up. I am making this thread because i have contacted the two companies making what they claim is a working 2.0T E85 Flex Fuel Kit. however we know there's a few issues i have politely inquired to them both about the answer to the PIN 38 issue and their workaround though i don't expect anything proprietary knowledge leaking from them a solid explanation was asked for. The two products in question will be linked below as will any responses from the two with any information they are willing to share.

Vermont Tuning E85 Flex Fuel Sensor Kit

RPM Motorsports E85 Flex Fuel Sensor Kit

Reply #1: RPM Steve Martin; What model year do you have? Saturday December 2nd 2017

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 02-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
BomberCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro I4T/2002 Camaro Z/28
Just to note, I recently got HPTuners, and the flex fuel tables are in fact on the computer. Whether they are correctly adjusted already or not to just plug in a sensor and go, I'm not sure. But the table is there.

Follow my mod journey!

So far... 20x9.5 Curva Concepts C-300, Injen 7300 CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM charge pipe, 67mm TB, ZZP tune, Snow meth injection, muffler delete, RPI Designs front splitter, black SS spoiler, tinted windows, black bowties, and driver mod.

Instagram- @Arctic_Blast_Camaro
BomberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Adampau123

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS 1LE
I have the rpm kit and was never able to get a straight answer from Martin..
Adampau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
This is a message i ironically received from Martin just yesterday:

Our Flex Fuel Kit for the "LTG" is compatible with the 13-15 model years...looks like our site auto backed up and there is "Old" Product data up now which we will take care of immediately... The 16-18 ATS does not support an Ethanol sensor..

If you want to run E85 you can purchase a tune from us and we can give you both a 91oct and an E85 Tune that you can manually load onto the ECM using your HP Tuners Software. This is the only solution's for the 16-18 model years...
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
BomberCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro I4T/2002 Camaro Z/28
When I was going through RPM originally, they told me it would work on my 2017 Camaro. They knew what car I had, and still tried to sell me a kit.

You can get an E85 tune without the sensor, but you really need to run verified E85 from VP or whatever so that you know 100% that it has 85% ethanol. Getting it at the pump is super risky business because hardly any pumps that I've seen put out any better than E75. To safely run E85 and get the most potential out of it, you either get a sensor to work, or buy verified for $5 a gallon or whatever the heck it is right now. This is the reason I'm going the meth route.

Follow my mod journey!

So far... 20x9.5 Curva Concepts C-300, Injen 7300 CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM charge pipe, 67mm TB, ZZP tune, Snow meth injection, muffler delete, RPI Designs front splitter, black SS spoiler, tinted windows, black bowties, and driver mod.

Instagram- @Arctic_Blast_Camaro
BomberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
If somebody sends me an ECM, I'll figure it out.

Don't be shocked when I make a really convoluted connector to hide the pin location though.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberCamaro View Post
Just to note, I recently got HPTuners, and the flex fuel tables are in fact on the computer. Whether they are correctly adjusted already or not to just plug in a sensor and go, I'm not sure. But the table is there.
I wouldn't trust them to be correctly adjusted. Would not recommend running whatever data is in the PCM without cross referencing it with a known good calibration.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post

Don't be shocked when I make a really convoluted connector to hide the pin location though.
I don't know how you think you could make a convoluted connector that couldn't be reverse engineered in like 2 seconds by anyone with half a brain. But you're in luck! The dumb is REAL in here.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
LOL

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
DSX Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
I don't know how you think you could make a convoluted connector that couldn't be reverse engineered in like 2 seconds by anyone with half a brain. But you're in luck! The dumb is REAL in here.
You'd be surprised what embedded electronics can do to trick a multimeter.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post

Dave, how confident are you that you can figure it out? What are the possibilities that the necessary circuitry or OS drivers are simply not there?

I would be more than willing to buy an E80 and send it to you if you feel relatively confident. This is an industry wide hurdle that many tuners have not been able to overcome
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
VTuner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0T
Cool E85 Conversion for 2016+ LTG

Hey guys, Kevin (Evil-Bee-NH) contacted me that you were having trouble with the E85 Flex fuel conversion. Here is a link to my instructions which includes the pin you need to connect with.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc6gn5nzzh...rsion.pdf?dl=0

The last time I tested the HPTuners editor they had not made the correct changes to activate the pin - you could flip the E85 switch in the VCM Editor and it would not read the sensor properly even when connected to the correct pin.

I have already done an E85 flex conversion for a 2016 Camaro owner that I know posts on the Camaro6 forum, not sure why he has not chimed in yet but maybe he is not very active on the forums.

FYI - I am a global distributor for both HPTuners and EFILive. I prefer to use the EFILive Autocals for a number of reasons. In both instances, neither EFILive or HPTuners editors worked properly to activate the flex fuel sensor code. I spent months developing and testing my own code to make the system work on the E80 ECMs. I can save this code into either EFILive or HPTuners file formats to flash program the ECM using their hardware. I only offer to tune using the EFILive system as the data logging parameters (pids) I require to remote tune customers are all available using the EFILive handhelds and some critical pids are still not working properly on the HPTuners VCM Scanner software.

This is a data log from one of my 2016 Camaro 2.0T customers running my flex fuel system - you can see the FSCUD signal (flex fuel sensor frequency output) and the E85 value this represents in the data log. I have hidden his full VIN protect his privacy.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by VTuner; 12-06-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: grammar
VTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
VTuner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Thank you Brian. Do you think your code can be wrote to any E80 ECM? I know 2016/17/ and 18 ltg camaro's all have a different part number, with possible OS changes. Maybe that won't even matter depending on how it is wrote.
Also, would you care to give a rough price on your code with a handheld EFI live set up?
I am not a vendor on this forum, so any inquiries about pricing/services should be made by contacting me directly via my website or PM. I have to write custom code for every OS, but I have done this for a couple of the 2017 OS as well. I have not prepared it for any 2018 OS calibrations yet and I will have to test it to confirm that it works on the 2018 models.
VTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
DSX Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
Dave, how confident are you that you can figure it out? What are the possibilities that the necessary circuitry or OS drivers are simply not there?

I would be more than willing to buy an E80 and send it to you if you feel relatively confident. This is an industry wide hurdle that many tuners have not been able to overcome
Very, but it's been my understanding that E80 is already known for the location, but E82 is the big mystery.