Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings Nov 2017 (?)

Let's try this again for November.

Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings
Being a Camaro owner form the original Gen I F-Body Cars I would like to applaud the Design and Engineering Team for all their Blood Sweat and Tears that paid off in the form of the Gen6 and the 2018 ZL1 1LE, Bravo!

Some of us purchased the new ZL1 1LE exclusively to use every available ounce of performance for Track use. I know that the factory car's stasis and chassis settings at the time of delivery more than likely differed from the settings and adjustments made to the ZL1 1LE that achieved the record setting Nürburgring Lap.

Can you please enlighten your fellow ZL1 1LE Enthusiasts, Drivers and Mechanics on what final adjustments and setting were made to the car to achieve the Nürburgring Lap.

Thank you for taking time to help in the pursuit of performance.

Respectfully,

Mr. P/H
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Studebakerpm

Drives: 2015 Chevy 3500, 53 Studebaker P/M
Great question! Got my vote.
Studebakerpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
@P/H,
Please keep in mind that the setup for the the “green hell” is very unique and not applicable to other tracks. Even the cars running the GP course (Part of the green hell) at the Ring use a different setup.
Every car manufacturer use a very specific setup incl. tires and so on which is not available on the market. I don’t think that Al will explain all details to the setup.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Soleil

Please see here page 5
Old 11-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
@P/H,
Please keep in mind that the setup for the the “green hell” is very unique and not applicable to other tracks. Even the cars running the GP course (Part of the green hell) at the Ring use a different setup.
Every car manufacturer use a very specific setup incl. tires and so on which is not available on the market. I don’t think that Al will explain all details to the setup.
GM runs stock cars, modified only for safety. Including stock tires.

What people are asking for is things like what the adjustable camber plate was set at, and the tire pressures.

Of course every track is different, but if a car is setup to perform at its optimum at the Nurburgring it should do well just about anywhere. Thats why manufacturers go there for testing in the first place.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

What people are asking for is things like what the adjustable camber plate was set at, and the tire pressures.

Of course every track is different, but if a car is setup to perform at its optimum at the Nurburgring it should do well just about anywhere. Thats why manufacturers go there for testing in the first place.
After we find out how many have the same color paint-jobs and options as each other, actual helpful knowledge may become available later on.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Soleil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. The track is the most difficult and the longest one in the world. To set a lap time which is below 7:20min is worth to mention it for every car manufacturer to show off.
Look who is faster. Nordschleife it’s not just camber plates and tire pressure. Think about engine oil, diff oil, modified air ducts, carbon break disks and pads, high octane gasoline, Special engine tune (altitude, humidity, temperatures......) probably the cars where assembled with minimized tolerances. Even the amateurs doing all this.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. The track is the most difficult and the longest one in the world. To set a lap time which is below 7:20min is worth to mention it for every car manufacturer to show off.
Look who is faster. Nordschleife it’s not just camber plates and tire pressure. Think about engine oil, diff oil, modified air ducts, carbon break disks and pads, high octane gasoline, Special engine tune (altitude, humidity, temperatures......) probably the cars where assembled with minimized tolerances. Even the amateurs doing all this.
Changing all the things you mentioned would be cheating. Maybe it happens by manufacturers since there's no governing body for Nurburgring lap times, but I doubt the team would put their credibility as engineers in question. And IF they did, they are not going to come onto the forum and admit to it!

I believe them that the car was completely stock down to the tires and brake pads, with the exception of safety equipment. The specific question being asked is about the on car adjustments made within the existing hardware (such as tire pressure and alignment info).

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. .
Not sure what they did, if anything, with Camaros but would have to agree with DGthe3 if history is any indication. When they test Corvettes, they run complete stock except for added safety equipment like radio, harness, telemetry. The car is taken off the line and runs the factory tune. In a lot of cases the driver has been Jim Merro who I believe is the chief Corvette chassis engineer. He's SCCA licensed but is not a professional driver like most teams use.
I know manufacturers like bragging rights but what purpose does it serve to highly modify production cars that they don't-won't-can't sell and that most people couldn't reproduce. A good time with a modified car might sell a few extra units but is that worth the chance of being considered fraudulent? Just my 2 cents.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Even if the car is 100% stock, any data supplied will be specific to not just an incredibly unique track, but also the specific driver style and preferences. It’s not as if you ran the exact ring settings on your car, you would be in some sort of a sweet spot at your local track, with your amateur driving skill. Apples and oranges.

Satisfying curiosity is the only thing that learning the ring setup would accomplish.

Last edited by ninetres; 11-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #11
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Let's try this again for November.

Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings
Being a Camaro owner form the original Gen I F-Body Cars I would like to applaud the Design and Engineering Team for all their Blood Sweat and Tears that paid off in the form of the Gen6 and the 2018 ZL1 1LE, Bravo!

Some of us purchased the new ZL1 1LE exclusively to use every available ounce of performance for Track use. I know that the factory car's stasis and chassis settings at the time of delivery more than likely differed from the settings and adjustments made to the ZL1 1LE that achieved the record setting Nürburgring Lap.

Can you please enlighten your fellow ZL1 1LE Enthusiasts, Drivers and Mechanics on what final adjustments and setting were made to the car to achieve the Nürburgring Lap.

Thank you for taking time to help in the pursuit of performance.

Respectfully,

Mr. P/H
I voted for this one last month. I'd likely vote for it again. Curious minds want to know!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Even if the car is 100% stock, any data supplied will be specific to not just an incredibly unique track, but also the specific driver style and preferences. It’s not as if you ran the exact ring settings on your car, you would be in some sort of a sweet spot at your local track, with your amateur driving skill. Apples and oranges.

Satisfying curiosity is the only thing that learning the ring setup would accomplish.
So you're saying that they didn't use/apply any tricks/tweeks? They had multiple engineering teams out there working on the car.

Just having that insight on the flow on how the car was adjusted is invaluable.

The Pro Race Teams don't even have that type of hands-on expertise on a Track.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
After we find out how many have the same color paint-jobs and options as each other, actual helpful knowledge may become available later on.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well obviously it was red hot, the fastest color.

Besides that, this gets my vote
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote