Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Engine shuts-down when idle

Hi,

Today I was at a light and the gear in Nuetral, my engine shut-off. Stammered for a second and the rpm fell to zero, shutting the engine. I then started and everything is normal.

This happened to me once a few months ago. I think it is the third time in one year of ownership.

Happens only in the morning during the 10th or 15th minute of my drive.

Spoke to my dealer and they said they can recalibrate he idle.
Should i do it or live with this until it happens quite often?

I am concerned that it may get worse with recalibration or dealer doing anything.

Thanks,
Suresh

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
I also may bring mine in for a recalibration. Mine does not shut off like yours did but I do have a rough idle at times that will shake the whole car. This has been happening for a while but i am in the car so infrequently at idle that Ive just lived with it. I do not think it would get worse. If it did, they still have to fix it.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
Automatic or manual? Mine was rough idle when coming to a stop and rpm low, and they reprogrammed tcm and fixed it. Said there was a tsb, might be worth checking out
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
Automatic or manual? Mine was rough idle when coming to a stop and rpm low, and they reprogrammed tcm and fixed it. Said there was a tsb, might be worth checking out
Mine is an A8. Ill take a look.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 09-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
whiskeyfed
Pat

This was all I could find.

08/15/17

NHTSA ID: 10113418
TSB ID: PIP5029H

This preliminary information communication provides information to the technician about vehicles that have a malfunction indicator lamp on or engine misfire, rough idle, extended crank, or crank no start in some cases. technician will need

https://www.truedelta.com/Chevrolet-...-tsbs-499,2017

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Mine is a 6S Manual

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Mines done it probably 3-4 times in a year and a half. Even before I started modding it. Never bothered to take it in myself. a8.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
BomberCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro I4T/2002 Camaro Z/28
Mine had a similar issue this week actually. Car would surge really bad and after surging several times and would almost die. Just sitting at idle and rpm would jump to 1400 then fall to 400 without touching the throttle. Turns out my intake had slightly fallen out of the coupler that attaches it to the turbo. I just hadn't tightened the clamp enough when I installed it and the MAF was freaking out. Might not have been y'all's situation but it was a simple fix that solved it completely. Not sure if it matters but mine is an M6.

Follow my mod journey!

So far... 20x9.5 Curva Concepts C-300, Injen 7300 CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM charge pipe, 67mm TB, ZZP tune, Snow meth injection, muffler delete, RPI Designs front splitter, black SS spoiler, tinted windows, black bowties, and driver mod.

Instagram- @Arctic_Blast_Camaro
BomberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
In the 9 months I've had mine, this has only happened to me once. I've noticed that the idle speed is different between moving and sitting still, it's around 800 RPM moving but 600 RPM still. Coming to a stop, in the transition from the higher idle to the lower idle, the engine speed dropped a bit too low and stalled on its own, even in neutral with the clutch all the way in. (6M)

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
INTERESTING.... Have you noticed anything else that is strange about your car? Like the car is slow to start?

I beleive it your issue could fall into one of two categories:

1.) Mechanical

2.) Sensor issue

The most likely issue would be a sensor, you wouldnt happen to be running a K&N filter product would you? Your MAF (mass airflow sensor) AKA THE BRAIN OF YOUR ENGINE could be contaminatied with a film of dust or other contaminate, causing your idle to fluctuate between normal and the low side, causing an engine stall. If thats the case, clean your MAF with MAF cleaner. Clean your throttle body while youre at it.

The other, more unlikely scenario, would be something mechanical, like CRANK WALK. Ive never heard of this happening with the 4cyl in any chevy M6 model, so I doubt its the issue. But if it is, a dealership should be able to diagnose and cure the issue. If it is crank walk, be sure to hold the dealerships hand through the process, and monitor your car. I wouldn't trust a 17 year old employee with an engine rebuild, and neither should you. Again, I believe your MAF is the issue, clean it, and see if the issue persists.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
INTERESTING.... Have you noticed anything else that is strange about your car? Like the car is slow to start?

I beleive it your issue could fall into one of two categories:

1.) Mechanical

2.) Sensor issue

The most likely issue would be a sensor, you wouldnt happen to be running a K&N filter product would you? Your MAF (mass airflow sensor) AKA THE BRAIN OF YOUR ENGINE could be contaminatied with a film of dust or other contaminate, causing your idle to fluctuate between normal and the low side, causing an engine stall. If thats the case, clean your MAF with MAF cleaner. Clean your throttle body while youre at it.

The other, more unlikely scenario, would be something mechanical, like CRANK WALK. Ive never heard of this happening with the 4cyl in any chevy M6 model, so I doubt its the issue. But if it is, a dealership should be able to diagnose and cure the issue. If it is crank walk, be sure to hold the dealerships hand through the process, and monitor your car. I wouldn't trust a 17 year old employee with an engine rebuild, and neither should you. Again, I believe your MAF is the issue, clean it, and see if the issue persists.
I've never heard of an LTG with crank walk in the 6 years since the engine came out. That's a DSM 4G63 issue. I also highly doubt a MAF contamination on a nearly new vehicle. No dealer is going to diagnose this issue. They will say no check engine light - means normal operation. You'd have to have the car dying out every time you drove it, and could be able to repeat it at command before wasting time taking it in to a dealer.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
laurenwright3

Drives: Camaro 6 2.0T
I've noticed disengaging and engaging the clutch while stopped can initiate a rough idle condition and sometimes causes the car to stall. I don't drive the car much but when I do am guilty of pointless clutch engagement/disengagement while waiting for a light to change and it has shut off 2 or 3 times. I can also say all three times it's happened at the same stop light which coincidentally is after about fifteen minutes of driving.
laurenwright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Ink28

Drives: 2.0t
Had the same issue since day one mine had shut off on the highway and at stop lights in neutral so I kept complaining to the dealer an they didn't want to fix the issue so i took my car to car max an sold it lost a year of payments an a speed3 sad but was frustrated so I took a lost
Ink28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #14
dgcamaro2.0

Drives: Gray 2.0t camaro
Hey guys i have the same problem took my camaro to the dealer ship 3 different times and said that i need to find out approximate conditions on when it starts dropping the rpms and engine turns off any suggestions also it is a manual transmission and it only happens at random when I'm in neutral.
dgcamaro2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote