Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Autocross Videos - Tips and Discussion

New to the car and the community, figured I would post my Camaro videos here for any tips and discussion. Maybe this could be a collective thread for all autocross videos?

9/23-9/24 Southern California - El Toro

Practice/Champ Run
F-Street 2017 Camaro SS - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

1 Practice Run in a friends car
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1 LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Wife's Practice Run

Wife's Champ Run
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Its amazing that the delta between the two cars was 2+ sec. Really looking forward to 19" wheels and Bridgestones RE71R for the F-Street Camaro.

Coming from a lower hp, lighter weight and smaller rwd car its definitely hard to control the right foot and not hit cones.

Last edited by jwisjw; 09-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.
jwisjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisjw View Post
New to the car and the community, figured I would post my Camaro videos here for any tips and discussion. Maybe this could be a collective thread for all autocross videos?

9/23-9/24 Southern California - El Toro

Practice/Champ Run

1 Practice Run in a friends car
A-Street 2017 Camaro SS 1 LE - Stock Tires w/ Alignment

Its amazing that the delta between the two cars was 2+ sec. Really looking forward to 19" wheels and Bridgestones RE71R for the F-Street Camaro.

Coming from a lower hp, lighter weight and smaller rwd car its definitely hard to control the right foot and not hit cones.
Jeff,

The difference is mostly tires, the Goodyears on the SS 1LE are within 2-5 tenths of the RE71r's. Congrats on the new car, they are a lot of fun.

John
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
Jeff,

The difference is mostly tires, the Goodyears on the SS 1LE are within 2-5 tenths of the RE71r's. Congrats on the new car, they are a lot of fun.

John
Thanks!

Wow, that is scary fast because the SS 1LE with the 1 run raw timed my STX FR-S and was running STR/U times. The owner was significantly faster than me, I want to say .7-.8 faster.

Do you have any feedback/data on the Goodyears that came in the 1SS vs RE71R?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks!

Wow, that is scary fast because the SS 1LE with the 1 run raw timed my STX FR-S and was running STR/U times. The owner was significantly faster than me, I want to say .7-.8 faster.

The Goodyears on the SS 1LE were developed for that car and really work. They need more heat than the RE1'rs to work but they are quick.
After running both tires on my stock SS 1LE, the RE71r's are about 1/4 one 1/2 of a second quicker per autox lap, I thought it would be a bigger gap between the two tires. The Goodyears are a great track, almost as quick as the the RE71'rs but last longer.

Sorry, just saw that you were wondering about the 1SS, non 1LE Goodyears, don't have any experience with those.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Welcome to FS Jeff!

I came from a crx to BRZ to the camaro as well and took me a decent amount of time to get used to it. Nice thing is I have some top drivers to chase down in FS in Milwaukee to chase down. The 19" will really help gearing as well.

I know you're normally an ST guy do you plan on running FS or going to STP or cam?
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The RE71R is significantly faster than the 1SS Goodyears. I don't have a solid time delta because I never ran them both on the same course, but they really aren't close.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
rotis

Quote:
There is a lot of course dependency here, it's a wide car with lots of power against a narrow car with very little power. Sometimes I out-raw STU and STR, sometimes I don't. There was some pretty good power on the course in your video.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
jwisjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Welcome to FS Jeff!

I came from a crx to BRZ to the camaro as well and took me a decent amount of time to get used to it. Nice thing is I have some top drivers to chase down in FS in Milwaukee to chase down. The 19" will really help gearing as well.

I know you're normally an ST guy do you plan on running FS or going to STP or cam?
Thanks! The plan is to stay in FS for next year and hopefully will have a custom Koni strut/shock solution for the Camaro. The following year, I suspect will be STP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
The RE71R is significantly faster than the 1SS Goodyears. I don't have a solid time delta because I never ran them both on the same course, but they really aren't close.
That is very promising to hear and am looking forward to the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
There is a lot of course dependency here, it's a wide car with lots of power against a narrow car with very little power. Sometimes I out-raw STU and STR, sometimes I don't. There was some pretty good power on the course in your video.
Indeed there was and truly my only gauge is the FS Camaro which makes even "open" elements seem awfully tight. Though, the 1LE at least on the 1 run, was a slaloming beast, relatively.

Will be putting on Bridgestones and running them at Crows Landing this weekend. Will post up more videos when we have them.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
rotis

Quote:
Thanks! The plan is to stay in FS for next year and hopefully will have a custom Koni strut/shock solution for the Camaro. The following year, I suspect will be STP.
Awesome, we need more Camaros in STP! By the time you get around to prepping the car there should be more off-the-shelf ST parts for it...
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
apexit53

Yeah Koni is taking their sweet ass time with making shocks for this car. Ive always found it amazing when I have owned chevys how long it takes for companies to come out with parts compared to Japanese car makers. the brz i swear had coilovers out before the car was even out yet lol.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I went down to 19's with Forgeline wheels and RE71R's. This saved a measured 10 lbs per wheel/tire. I feel that I am significantly faster, and my ZL1 has better agility without that 40lbs of unsprung weight and the stickier rubber than the stock Goodyears. As they said above, the RE71R's heat up quicker as well which means more grip sooner.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
jwisjw

Got a chance to test the Bridgestones RE71R 275 square on the car and they seem to have transformed the car. Though, I will say that this is the first time that the car has been on consistent concrete and the surface is really abrasive and probably need to rotate/flip the front and rears. Wish, the car turned in like my friends 1LE, was hoping the tire was going to do the trick.

Definitely fun using the throttle a lot this weekend. Will be doing a back to back at our El Toro surface shortly between the stock Goodyears and RE71R.

Car definitely puts a smile on my face after every run, even for stock.

9/30-10/1 Northern California - Crows Landing

Saturday Runs

F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Jeff Saturday
F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Nicole Saturday

Sunday Runs

F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Jeff Sunday
F-Street 2017 Camaro Bridgestone RE71R w/ Alignment Nicole Sunday

Last edited by jwisjw; 10-03-2017 at 03:15 PM.
jwisjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
apexit53

Sweet Jesus your car seems loud lol. I like it.

Next step would be a sway bar for sure. I’m sur it will help the turn in but with only the 8.5” wide wheels up front I think we are limited on turn in.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I went down to 19's with Forgeline wheels and RE71R's. This saved a measured 10 lbs per wheel/tire. I feel that I am significantly faster, and my ZL1 has better agility without that 40lbs of unsprung weight and the stickier rubber than the stock Goodyears. As they said above, the RE71R's heat up quicker as well which means more grip sooner.
Can you provide more info on the 19" Forgeline wheels you went with (actual weight, dimensions & offset, cost)?

I'm interested how they compare to the stock SS 1LE and ZL1 wheels or even ZL1 1LE wheels.

Thanks.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote