Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Swapped conveter yesterday

Man these cars suck to work on. I tried paying one of the guys at the shop but they were slammed with work. So after it sitting for 2 months I tackled it yesterday. Took me about 7-8 hours altogether and not rushing. This was with a lift and all the right tools. So much you have to do just to drop the trans in one of these things. I couldn't believe all the things you have to remove, disconnect, etc.

Just need the PCM reflashed and then see how things go.

Oh, and the fluid fill and check procedure is a PITA! GM definitely not making things easy for the DITY folks.
Attached Images

aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Congratulations on the operation please keep us updated.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I looked into doing this if I have to replace my TC because I'm modded and my dealership won't replace mine under warranty. It's beyond my capabilities so, I'll pay somebody else to do it. I've been quoted $1200 for labor which sounds reasonable for this job. Kudos for doing it yourself. You saved yourself at least a grand in labor costs.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I got a circle D converter for Christmas. Can't wait to get it installed but damn now it sounds like my install bill will be quite high!
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
aka Reckless

$1200 seems extreme. Not sure what we charge. Sometimes the guys will work off-duty on my stuff at a much better rate, but they are all pulling OT as it is. Good problem to have. Anyhow even at $100 per hour $1200 seems high. Not sure what we would charge here. Should be about a 6-hour job for an experienced tech. I have worked on many 4th gens and C5 vettes, but this was my first time with the 6th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
I looked into doing this if I have to replace my TC because I'm modded and my dealership won't replace mine under warranty. It's beyond my capabilities so, I'll pay somebody else to do it. I've been quoted $1200 for labor which sounds reasonable for this job. Kudos for doing it yourself. You saved yourself at least a grand in labor costs.
Yeah me too. We have great rapport with our dealer as we buy cars through them, but didn't even want to deal with the service dep't :(
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 AM   #6
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I don't know. It seems reasonable to me after reading what's involved. I think shops are charging 10-12 hours for the job. I checked with the dealership just to get an idea and they were actually about the same as another shop I checked with for an estimate. I'd say $1200 is worst case. After shopping around, I'm sure I could find cheaper. I just want to make sure I get it done with a shop I trust. Car is in hibernation now but, come springtime, I'll see how the tune is working out as far as the slip tables and the shudder. I drove it for a few weeks after getting it tuned out and the shudder seemed to disappear. I'm hoping a torque converter won't be necessary but, won't know for sure until I drive it more in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Reckless View Post
$1200 seems extreme. Not sure what we charge. Sometimes the guys will work off-duty on my stuff at a much better rate, but they are all pulling OT as it is. Good problem to have. Anyhow even at $100 per hour $1200 seems high. Not sure what we would charge here. Should be about a 6-hour job for an experienced tech. I have worked on many 4th gens and C5 vettes, but this was my first time with the 6th gen.

Yeah me too. We have great rapport with our dealer as we buy cars through them, but didn't even want to deal with the service dep't :(
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I did mine in under 6 hours in and out not rushing. Basically it is exhaust, driveshaft, starter, converter bolts, cross member and bell housing bolts. Some little stuff thrown in there like the shifter cable. This was on a lift with a trans jack and I did get help dropping and lifting the exhaust.

I would think an experienced tech could do it in 3-4 hours. Even the fill procedure isn’t bad as long as you have a pump bottle of some kind.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Good info parish8!!!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
aka Reckless

To add to Parish.....I had to remove all of the engine cradle bolts and back the front two out about 1 inch and disconnect the steering before doing this (one 11mm bolt). To accomplish this you have to remove the slash guards underneath and the aluminum guard under the engine cradle. This allows the trans and engine to droop enough to access the top bolts on the trans. These trans tunnels are much tighter than earlier cars.

If $1200 includes reflashing the PCM then I would say go for it. I am at Vengeance so Mike handles that for me.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
I didn’t do any of that. I pulled the intake for the top bell housing bolt. that is about a 15 minute job.

I was used to doing a 4wd truck without a lift so this seemed really easy.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
aka Reckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I didn’t do any of that. I pulled the intake for the top bell housing bolt. that is about a 15 minute job.

I was used to doing a 4wd truck without a lift so this seemed really easy.
Lucky for you I just did it the way our techs told me to. But I am not even sure if they have done a "converter only" job on a 6th Gen yet, so I just rolled with it !