Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #29
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
My extrude honed exhaust manifold is done, and being shipped back today...

Will have pics and flow info compared to a stock manifold next week when it shows back up.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #30
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

Will have pics and flow info compared to a stock manifold next week when it shows back up.
Sweet!! Cant wait to see that.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #31
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

Nice! Can you check the back pressure also?
I just don't know how much could really be gained from a manifold. Most upgraded ones I've seen, just help the power band move to the left, we need it to stay level, or increase to the right. With the current turbo that is.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Sweet!! Cant wait to see that.
+1
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #33
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That will be i nice thing to see, we did it back in the day, it will add some HP but not as much as a new manifold, IMO.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #34
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
That will be i nice thing to see, we did it back in the day, it will add some HP but not as much as a new manifold, IMO.
Yeah, you used to hear more about extrude honing back in the L98/4th gen LT1 days, so 20 years ago. It's a neat process, but imo it was always expensive for the gains.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
Scubacat

Drives: 2014 Malibu LTZ 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Yeah, you used to hear more about extrude honing back in the L98/4th gen LT1 days, so 20 years ago. It's a neat process, but imo it was always expensive for the gains.
In the time since I posted this thread, I spoke with 2 other high quality shops and after looking at the application, pictures, etc they advised to......keep the factory part.

That's right. Keep the factory part. Basically they said that unless you building a 9/10's engine or better, it would be money poorly spent for our applications. Basically port, polish, and let it be. So, as expensive as the extrude hone is, if it shows any benefit, it's still half the cost of a tube manifold and looks stock.

Eager to see the finished product and flow numbers.
Scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #36
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubacat View Post
In the time since I posted this thread, I spoke with 2 other high quality shops and after looking at the application, pictures, etc they advised to......keep the factory part.

That's right. Keep the factory part. Basically they said that unless you building a 9/10's engine or better, it would be money poorly spent for our applications. Basically port, polish, and let it be. So, as expensive as the extrude hone is, if it shows any benefit, it's still half the cost of a tube manifold and looks stock.

Eager to see the finished product and flow numbers.
So you're saying they're saying to not run a tubular header? I'd agree that that is only for people looking to make maximum power, not for daily driven applications.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #37
Scubacat

Quote:
So you're saying they're saying to not run a tubular header? I'd agree that that is only for people looking to make maximum power, not for daily driven applications.
Yes, unless you are going balls out, the only thing it will do is make your wallet lighter. One guy mentioned that at first sight, it looked like a pretty efficient design.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #38
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Yes, unless you are going balls out, the only thing it will do is make your wallet lighter. One guy mentioned that at first sight, it looked like a pretty efficient design.
Then I can assure you that that person is an idiot.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #39
Scubacat

Quote:
Then I can assure you that that person is an idiot.
Im thinking that he means for our typical usage. Both said to make a tube manifold would net us nothing unless we were driving around at ridiculous RPM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 AM   #40
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Im thinking that he means for our typical usage. Both said to make a tube manifold would net us nothing unless we were driving around at ridiculous RPM.
Yeah? So? That's what every other mod for these cars do. Most of the currently available mods don't make power til over 4000RPM. Obviously no one is driving around at 4000RPM constantly, but they're still buying mods for the gainz, bruh. Do you even lift, bruh?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #41
Scubacat

Quote:
Yeah? So? That's what every other mod for these cars do. Most of the currently available mods don't make power til over 4000RPM. Obviously no one is driving around at 4000RPM constantly, but they're still buying mods for the gainz, bruh. Do you even lift, bruh?
So, that seems to be what he meant by effiiecnt...efficient for how the car will be used VS the dollars spent for what would be gained for a custom manifold. On the face of it, it seems that an extruded OEM manifold MAY be a better bang for the buck....and then, maybe not. We don't know yet.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #42
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
So, that seems to be what he meant by effiiecnt...efficient for how the car will be used VS the dollars spent for what would be gained for a custom manifold. On the face of it, it seems that an extruded OEM manifold MAY be a better bang for the buck....and then, maybe not. We don't know yet.
I can absolutely 100% guarantee that a custom tubular manifold will give more bang for the buck than the greatest extrude hone ever done in the history of the world.