Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Scubacat

Drives: 2014 Malibu LTZ 2.0T
Anyone interested in a custom tube turbo manifold?

From my research, GM uses the same turbo manifold on ALL 2.0T engines, at least according to gm parts direct.

I have contacted a company that does custom tube manifolds for imports and is willing to do one for the GM 2.0. It would use all the OEM parts and part locations so that any existing parts you have will bolt up without mods or interference. Judging from photos of their builds, they do very nice work....

Lead time would be one month in order to create new jigs and flanges. A one-off price was $1250 but multiple pieces brings the price down. I'm going to share this on a couple of other sites that focus on the 2.0 cars....
Scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I'd need the company name and info so I could research them myself and see what kind of work they do.

There is definitely interest in this product. Just a matter of getting it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Scubacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I'd need the company name and info so I could research them myself and see what kind of work they do.

There is definitely interest in this product. Just a matter of getting it done

Ask and ye shall receive....

https://sheepeybuilt.com/collections/turbo-manifolds

10+ piece order would go to $1050 each. Personally, I think the price could go good deal lower with more order volume. Seeing how there are like 5-6 cars that could use the SAME manifold...that opens up A LOT more potential buyers if the price is right...
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Jason@JacFab

I wonder if it could be a better deal if we took some of the R&D out of it for them? I already have all the flanges drawn for a header, as well as the DP. I was going to supply them to another fabricator/builder that is well known in the ATS world, but he kind of fell off the planet... I have plans to build them at some point, but I'm not about reinventing the wheel, if someone else does it first and it's affordable, I'll just buy it

Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Scubacat

Quote:

I wonder if it could be a better deal if we took some of the R&D out of it for them? I already have all the flanges drawn for a header, as well as the DP. I was going to supply them to another fabricator/builder that is well known in the ATS world, but he kind of fell off the planet... I have plans to build them at some point, but I'm not about reinventing the wheel, if someone else does it first and it's affordable, I'll just buy it

Perhaps, it's worth an inquiry... I still think that the fact it would fit A LOT of cars is big in it's favor...and should drive the price down. I've had some push back, saying that the manifold isn't needed unless you're going north of 600HP...but that's never stopped me before...
Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I'm not going north of 600whp anytime soon in my I4 i'll be content with about 500whp. At that point i'll have everything to hit 600whp but why bother killing the engine faster at that point a 500whp and 600whp car isn't going to be a huge difference on the dragstrip. Yes I know i'm wrong when I say that but drivability wise I know a few 600whp V8 guys that can't control their cars for shit.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
Scubacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I'm not going north of 600whp anytime soon in my I4 i'll be content with about 500whp. At that point i'll have everything to hit 600whp but why bother killing the engine faster at that point a 500whp and 600whp car isn't going to be a huge difference on the dragstrip. Yes I know i'm wrong when I say that but drivability wise I know a few 600whp V8 guys that can't control their cars for shit.
Well, bare in mind, the opinion I shared is the opinion of a few people, not everyone...so your mileage may vary...I know I have done more expensive mods that were questionable in the past simply because they made me happy...
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubacat View Post
Well, bare in mind, the opinion I shared is the opinion of a few people, not everyone...so your mileage may vary...I know I have done more expensive mods that were questionable in the past simply because they made me happy...
I do those questionable mods all the time. Already have one installed and brings a smile to my face.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Well here is another option, I found a place in CA that will extrude hone the stock exhaust manifold for about 1/3 of the cost of the proposed turbo header for $525. I'm just getting ready to send them one of my spares, and then planned on doing a before/after flow comparison. The cost of this service is $525, but they said a quantity discount could start to apply at 15 pieces.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Scubacat

Very interesting. I've heard of that before but have never seen many people who could actually provide feedback. Would love to see the before and after results...
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubacat View Post
Ask and ye shall receive....

https://sheepeybuilt.com/collections/turbo-manifolds

10+ piece order would go to $1050 each. Personally, I think the price could go good deal lower with more order volume. Seeing how there are like 5-6 cars that could use the SAME manifold...that opens up A LOT more potential buyers if the price is right...
I'm down big time! I've been nosing around this myself but haven't made much headway... If it has a divided T4 flange consider one sold... Their work looks pretty top notch

Do you think there's enough room for this type of manifold on our cars?...maybe just?
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
Corner carver

Quote:

+1
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Corner carver

Quote:
Well here is another option, I found a place in CA that will extrude hone the stock exhaust manifold for about 1/3 of the cost of the proposed turbo header for $525. I'm just getting ready to send them one of my spares, and then planned on doing a before/after flow comparison. The cost of this service is $525, but they said a quantity discount could start to apply at 15 pieces.

I'd be interested in results also, but ultimately I think flow will be sacrificed with the type of setup we'd talked about already...especially compared to a true header like these...
Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
Scubacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
I'd be interested in results also, but ultimately I think flow will be sacrificed with the type of setup we'd talked about already...especially compared to a true header like these...
The quote I got was for a manifold that is basically a tube version of what whe have, no long, spiraling tubes. This keeps cost down and makes everything you already have fit back up OEM like. If you go all crazy, you could cause a domino effect of having to re-buy all sorts of stuff to fit a new manifold.

It would look similar to, but be for a twin scroll, this...

Very basic, but still higher flowing...it's simplicity, compared to others on their page, is why I balk at the current price. Yes, they have to make a jig and spend some time designing it, but it is dead simple compared to others on their page...