Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #43
mgriffin

Drives: 17' Camaro 1LT
For me, I'm just here for the looks lol
I was more impressed with the interior of the car, which is why I upgraded to the technology package, than the difference in how fast it went. No regrets!
mgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #44
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I think you guys made me save 1700$ CAD for my future purchase.

I really wanted the V6 only for the sound... but I guess I could upgrade the exhaust to get something similar for a fraction of the price.
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #45
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I think you guys made me save 1700$ CAD for my future purchase.

I really wanted the V6 only for the sound... but I guess I could upgrade the exhaust to get something similar for a fraction of the price.
Haha maybe exhaust level could be a similae decible, but the V6 camaro has one of the best tones from a V6 i’ve ever heard. The I4 won’t be able to replicate that tone, but it’ll be able to make some cool noises. Borla has some great videos
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #46
Papa Smurf
Cobalt SS Owner to Camaro

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2.0L Turbo
Love my 4 Banger turbocharged Camaro

Morning. I was in the same boat my Friend. Debating and test driving the turbo 4 camaros, V6 even the SS. But let me tell you, GM did it right for specs, handling and price. I had a supercharged 07 cobalt ss and traded it in for a turbocharged camaro and haven't looked back for as lil as $21k. I didn't like the gas guzzling v6, and couldn't afford the SS. Plus insurance on them things, sheesh. Good luck. And my wife an insurance agent. But you can't beat these new muscle car turbos. Mustangs are doing it right. They honestly just dropped their V6 trim this year to focus more on the turbo Mustang since its...literally lighter, faster and better on gas. My wittle ol' 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro 4 Banger turbo is 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. And does a quarter mile in 14 flat. That's incredibly fast for today's spectations coming from a 2 Liter engine. You couldn't get those numbers unless you threw a huge V8 underneath the hood or a Big V6 with a decent sized turbo back in the day. And dont get me started with daily driving them gas hogs. Maybe get 13mpg on average....MAYBE. While my turbo4 averages 28mpg. It's crazy today with engineering, electronic's and practicality in Fuel economy. Let me just tell you the Turbocharged Camaro wont dissapoint. Handling is more then impressive. Drives like a Cadillac. Literally. This camaro shares the same chasis as in the cadillac ats platform. Wow. Now that's the camaro shedding some serious heavy unnecessary weight meaning....faster. And with a couple bolt-on's and a tune, the V6 will be seeing nothing but your tail lights in your dust and quite possibly even the V8 SS. It's fast, let me tell you. Its Corvette fast. That's Subaru WRX. Its Dodge Challenger Fast. If you want to talk about numbers. What this lil 2 Liter Turbo can do and is pushing is more then impressive. To reach those track/speed numbers not that far...far...long ago. In early 90's you would need a 4.3L V6 w/ a turbo like in the GMC Syclone (SportTruck)to just reach a tie in a quarter mile or 0to60. Or even a V8 small block in the early 90s corvettes, that's right, a Corvette, to beat the turbo camaro. Therefore, i saw the 2.0t and fell in love with the specs, weight, exterior,interior,gas mpg and handling. Interior wise you get all great things the V6 RS owners get and even SS Camaro owners. Such as a standard touch screen, backup camera, great seats, same exterior cuts, cosmetically all trims are identical inside and out except for ss and zl1. I Always did love the spool/whoosh sound coming from a turbo too esspecially after a cold air intake bolt on installed with a little increase in Performance/Sound. I've owned my for a few months now and get 28mpg average. Pushing almost 300hp and God knows what with the torque involved(possibly high 350) with a couple bolt-ons and a zzp tune. This lil camaro is scary light/quick. I wouldn't be surprised if GM did same as Ford and drop the V6 all together to focus more on the quick, fuel sipping turbos 4 camaros.
Attached Images

Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:27 AM   #47
Flash144

Drives: Drop Top SS
Just got mine for $21,682 brand new 2018 with the Hyper Blue and Black 20" wheels. Can't beat it. With the A8 Transmission its a perfect match with the I4. Had a 2014 CTS 2.0T that I traded in, it had a 6 speed auto and was horrible. The 8 Speed really works great with the I4 Turbo. Not sure if there were improvements on the 2018 model year for the 2.0T but its really responsive. Also I own a 2017 SS, so I have the best of both worlds. I enjoy the gas mileage on the 2.0T trust me. It has almost all the same features as my SS in terms of usable stuff, full power, onstar, XM, Bluetooth, not as big screen 7" vs 8" but who cares. Oh and I got to keep the same exact BLIND SPOTS on both cars.
Flash144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #48
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
So you have two 6th gens?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #49
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
2016 vert 2.0, A-8, tech, light and RS packages. The only thing I don't like is the lag for throttle input and I am 4 years away from a tune. If I know I am going to drive in a spirited manner I just activate performance shift mode. I will say 5 minutes before I test drove this car I told myself you would never.......ever.....catch me in a Camaro with a 4 banger. Wait what
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #50
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
1. Looks; one of the best looking cars in production.(prefer the RS front vs. the SS front)

2. Affordable; a sports car I can actually afford to drive and insure.

3. Monster potential; only your imagination and pocket book will hold back what this chassis is capable of.

4. Factory upgrades; with the SS 6th gen cars running 455/455 stock, upgrades are only a part number and phone call away.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #51
theCarTruthReport

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0L
3 Reasons:

1. Price; Jalopnik ran an article in the fall of 2016 saying 4cly Camaros where going for less than $20k, which is not close to the price of a V6.

2. Turn-in; I wanted a car that could turn-in well, and the i4 has the least amount of weight over the front wheels, and weight in the front of the car is VERY hard to reduce, harder than adding a bit more power for example.

3. My brother had the 3.6 ATS, which I drove a few times, and I wasn't impressed enough with the V6 to justify spending the extra money that I shouldn't be spending anyways.
theCarTruthReport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #52
tthobe

Drives: '17 RS Turbo, Red Hot
Reasons I chose 2.OT: as others have noted, key reason is Turbo is much more responsive in lower rpm range (better torque delivery); much more satisfying to get the push every time you poke the Go peddle. Drove the V6 and felt lethargic by comparison in urban traffic (you need to wring it out for satisfying effect). The Turbo does run out of breath a bit when you approach redline (in stock form) but A8 gives you the next gear before then, right back into the meat of the powerband. Stock for stock 2.0T gets almost identical perf as V6 (0-60, ¼ mi), based on Motor Trend testing. Additionally I’m actually fond of the turbo sounds.
Getting great gas mileage with turbo, but for my decision this was not a factor as the cost for fuel would be the same as V6 (better mileage with turbo but higher price for premium fuel = same resultant cost).
Would have liked to have the V8 but couldn’t justify the $10K extra cost, when already getting outstanding perf from turbo. Have had it now 14 months & no regrets.

BTW Autocross - Aloha to you! Just came back from Hawaii and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by tthobe; 05-17-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
tthobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #53
John J

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo
The main, and only, reason: price :-)
In America cars are much, much cheaper.
Because the 2.0 turbo and V6 have almost the same specifications, in Europe you can only choose between a 2.0 turbo or a V8. In both cases they are (almost) full options.
My Camaro 2.0 turbo (almost) full options costed 48.000 euro (in Belgium). In the Netherlands it would cost 65.000 euro, all because of taxes and additional emission taxes. So you can imagine what this does to a V8. For those who can not: In Belgium a V8 costs 75.000 euro and in the Netherlands it would cost you 122.000 euro. And then you have the higher insurance rates and yearly taxes. So a V8 is only "for the rich and famous" in Belgium and the Netherlands. Unbelievable for us in Europe that cars are so cheap in America :-)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 AM   #54
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I've had a 6th gen SS and I could afford any of the models. The 2.0T is light, nimble, and quick. Out of all the engines, it feels the most fun to me because I get to use all its power. It seems like the car was almost designed around this engine. When you throw in the great aftermarket and community, its kind of a no-brainer decision. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't open to it but there is still a significant backlash against the 4-cylinder being in a Camaro. Heck, just look at Porsche and the 718 cayman, people hate it for only having 4 cylinders even though its an incredible car. It's the same here, for many its "V8 or nothing". Those going for the V6 may be drawn by the regular gas, or the sound, but its still heavier than the I4 and has much less mid range torque. The I4 is the true drivers Camaro. The square 245 set up suits the car well. It dives into corners and you get that flying sensation, which is the fun part for me. Yes there is turbo lag. Yes it runs out of steam above 5-6k. Yes keeping it in the power band requires finesse especially if you have the M6. Yes it sounds like a 4-cylinder turbo. But the combination of the alpha chassis, the light weight, and the fat mid range torque, is totally unique (well, except for the ATS). It's pretty difficult to think of another car that even comes close in the price range.

And you can find these going for 19, 20k. It's absolutely crazy. That's almost in the "buy 2, keep one nice and un-modded, and make the other a track beater with full mods" category. In a few short years, you'll be able to find used LTG camaros in the $12,000 range. People will be scanning autotrader for them, snatching them up and then re-building them with forged internals.

Last edited by protovack; 03-14-2019 at 02:45 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #55
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
I enjoy using regular unleaded and the great sound of the V-6 with NPP. And the M6 transmission. I don't remember seeing the 4 cyl. with the M6 anywhere when I looked in December.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #56
groove93

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
The Price for my 2.0 was the main factor in my purchase. I was in the market for a new car after an accident totaled my '15 Malibu.

I was looking for a replacement Malibu or a Cruze, and out of nowhere, two '18 Camaros kept appearing in my searches, and were well within my price range. One was a standard LT, the other was an RS Appearance Package for $1000 more, but still affordable. Both were on sale from the same dealership and with further research, I discovered they were sitting on the lot for about 6 months.

The cars were 120 miles from where I lived, and no dealerships in my area would budge or work with me regarding the Price that I found on my current ride. So I made the drive and purchased the RS. Process took about 2 hours.
groove93 is offline   Reply With Quote