Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #43
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
My first thought when I read the title was - HELL YES!

People already mentioned that you learn more about car control in rain. Great fun also.

I sometimes feel, do I really want to bother and get all wet. However, it is not comparing would you have more fun in the rain versus tracking on a good day.

It is more about, would you have more fun bombing around in the rain at speed, versus cleaning out your basement or doing errands on the rainy day at home.

I have always grabbed my rain gear and went... and every time, when I was in my car at speed, I never regretted the decision. Just understand that the limits will be lower.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..

Last edited by MoreSpeed; 04-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #44
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
How well do the stock G3 tires perform in the rain on track? I've yet to drive in the rain with them on track or street and looks like my next track day will be a wet one. I may get 1 day to practice rain driving on the street before hand.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #45
carguy55

For me it's about how well the G3s are going to work on track with a track alignment and 5/32 tread depth in the rain. Good to hear some here have said they work great, other I've talked to said they hydroplaned at 45mph and they were really bad in the rain.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #46
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Everything you heard above is very good advice. You will learn a lot about how you drive and more specifically the way your car drives. If anything is off it will be multiplied but because of the low speeds you shouldn't be in danger unless you do something extremely unadvised. Also have someone teach you the difference between a "wet" line and dry line. They are different but typically before the corner you hop back on the racing line to take the corner. It's fun, but your first time out you will be very nervous in the wet. Just take your time and learn the cars characteristics and build your confidence as the day progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Sounds like I should go then. I have a lot to learn.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #47
carguy55

Had my first day doing an HPDE and it was tricky conditions, but still had fun. Sessions went from a little damp, to almost dry to like being on an oil slick. First time driving the car in the wet. One session it was so wet you didn't want to give it any gas unless you were pointed straight. Tried the wet mode one time which felt like it was using the brakes to control wheel spin and you could fell the engine bog
Old 04-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Unless the rain continues to move off more quickly, I may be in for a wet 3rd session today (TNiA event @ NJMP).

But I've driven in absolute downpours. One thing you may want to be careful about is wet soles of your footwear vs their grip on the pedal pads.

Side note: tracks tend to have a lot less traffic in the rain.

Norm