Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Jonnydz

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Pilot sport tires vs stocks track times

Hey guys how much do u think u will lose on lap times with a tire that will last longer as a daily?0
Jonnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydz View Post
Hey guys how much do u think u will lose on lap times with a tire that will last longer as a daily?0
Depends. Buy a 2nd set of wheels if that’s a big concern. P4S will do just fine on track, it will loose lap time to the OE G3’s though.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Let me put it this way.....I just took my SS 1LE completely stock with the G& SC 3 to Lime Rock, and ran totally consistent lap times in the 1.02.xx, best 1.02.02.

On my C7 Z51 on PS4 (400 lbs lighter, lower C.G., much better weight distribution, and a vehicle that I track for 3 years), my lap times were most often in the high 1.00.xx and low 1.01.xx.

That means my Camaro 1LE on GY 3 was ˜1sec slower than a C7 Z51 with a much better power to weight ratio, which would be a lot faster on the same tires.

Based on the above experience, I'd say the GY SC3 is about 1sec/min of lap time faster than PS4. So ˜3 sec faster at VIR, ~8 sec faster at the N'ring, ˜1.5 sec faster at Laguna Seca, etc.

To me that is inconsequential on a track day. What I care about more how many $$$/track day each tire will cost (life) and how consistent they are. The PS4s can overheat and start losing grip very fast if you push them. I pushed the GY SC3 for 7 straight laps towards the end of the session/day and only the outside F/R got a hint of overheating with some sidewall "crunching" but grip was still super high. PS4s you have to drive with a lot less slip or they over cook.

P.S. I love PS4s. Not knocking the tire at all. It is a great general purpose/sporty tire. But on track the GY SC3 seems to be much more consistent and able to handle the slip angle.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Let me put it this way.....I just took my SS 1LE completely stock with the G& SC 3 to Lime Rock, and ran totally consistent lap times in the 1.02.xx, best 1.02.02.

On my C7 Z51 on PS4 (400 lbs lighter, lower C.G., much better weight distribution, and a vehicle that I track for 3 years), my lap times were most often in the high 1.00.xx and low 1.01.xx.

That means my Camaro 1LE on GY 3 was ˜1sec slower than a C7 Z51 with a much better power to weight ratio, which would be a lot faster on the same tires.

Based on the above experience, I'd say the GY SC3 is about 1sec/min of lap time faster than PS4. So ˜3 sec faster at VIR, ~8 sec faster at the N'ring, ˜1.5 sec faster at Laguna Seca, etc.

To me that is inconsequential on a track day. What I care about more how many $$$/track day each tire will cost (life) and how consistent they are. The PS4s can overheat and start losing grip very fast if you push them. I pushed the GY SC3 for 7 straight laps towards the end of the session/day and only the outside F/R got a hint of overheating with some sidewall "crunching" but grip was still super high. PS4s you have to drive with a lot less slip or they over cook.

P.S. I love PS4s. Not knocking the tire at all. It is a great general purpose/sporty tire. But on track the GY SC3 seems to be much more consistent and able to handle the slip angle.
I can say with my recent run at Big Willow the G3's OEM stock tires were awesome did not get too greasy when pushed hard out into turn 8.. I had the 2015 1LE and had ran the G2's, Hankook RS3's they both tend to get a bit greasy after 4 good hard laps. The Nitto 555 G2's were a little less grip but did not fade to being as greasy and I would compare that to PS4s.

It's all about the $$$'s for me too.. so with that being said the OE will a top choice for me... until I decide to get 19" wheels and dedicated track tires like the Toyo's.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Here's my two cents on the matter... This was a post I made on a FB group awhile back and I'm too lazy to retype lol. I did add some updates in there...

This is about the Pilot Sport 4S tires. I replaced my Goodyears after 6k miles and 4 hard track days. Waaaay too sketchy driving in the rain at that point.

"I have just under 2k miles on the PS4S (Update: 4,300 miles now) in stock sizing and they performed flawlessly at Sebring this past Sunday. It was my first time tracking them and I have zero complaints. Just to show that I do drive my car as hard as possible at the track, my fastest time this past summer was 2:31.75 at Sebring. Very good time for a heavy bone stock car. Things I noticed about the PS4S, I was in Race mode too:
  • Starting tire pressures of 31-32 and maxes of 38-39. I will be airing them down slightly next time around.
  • They get to temp relatively quick with only really needing one warm up lap
  • Turn-in feels sharp and precise like the Goodyears
  • At the limit traction is smoother and more controllable. I never had the tail end want to step out, even if I got on the power a little too early. Seems like the diff is able to work it's magic just a little better
  • Track temps were a decent bit lower than I'm used to, but even toward the end of the day when it warmed up some, the tires never showed signs of overheating at the end the session.
  • I was able to hit identical max lateral G's as my fastest lap listed above (1.19 G). This to me is one of the biggest points to make.
  • They show minimal wear after one track day compared to the Goodyears
  • All this, and I'll get at least 10k-12k miles and probably double the track days out of a set

Sorry for the long post, but I've just read too much out there of people giving the PS4S a bad rap. I'm here to tell you that if you don't have any interest in getting a dedicated track wheel/tire setup (like myself), that they are damn close to performance of the Goodyears. However, keep in mind that they are awesome in the rain and will last waaaaaay longer "

Bottom line, my car is my DD, my track car, my "cargo" hauler, etc. So I don't have much interest to keep pushing the limit for corning speed as the risk exponentially gets higher. I'm no pro driver, so even if I lose 1-2 seconds off my best time with the Goodyears, I'm okay with that as the ROI on the PS4S is leaps and bounds better in all other categories (wear, wet traction, noise). Of course, these are my experiences and opinions.

If your only concern is lap times, than really the only option is a dedicated track wheel/tire setup.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Here's my two cents on the matter... This was a post I made on a FB group awhile back and I'm too lazy to retype lol. I did add some updates in there...

This is about the Pilot Sport 4S tires. I replaced my Goodyears after 6k miles and 4 hard track days. Waaaay too sketchy driving in the rain at that point.

"I have just under 2k miles on the PS4S (Update: 4,300 miles now) in stock sizing and they performed flawlessly at Sebring this past Sunday. It was my first time tracking them and I have zero complaints. Just to show that I do drive my car as hard as possible at the track, my fastest time this past summer was 2:31.75 at Sebring. Very good time for a heavy bone stock car. Things I noticed about the PS4S, I was in Race mode too:
  • Starting tire pressures of 31-32 and maxes of 38-39. I will be airing them down slightly next time around.
  • They get to temp relatively quick with only really needing one warm up lap
  • Turn-in feels sharp and precise like the Goodyears
  • At the limit traction is smoother and more controllable. I never had the tail end want to step out, even if I got on the power a little too early. Seems like the diff is able to work it's magic just a little better
  • Track temps were a decent bit lower than I'm used to, but even toward the end of the day when it warmed up some, the tires never showed signs of overheating at the end the session.
  • I was able to hit identical max lateral G's as my fastest lap listed above (1.19 G). This to me is one of the biggest points to make.
  • They show minimal wear after one track day compared to the Goodyears
  • All this, and I'll get at least 10k-12k miles and probably double the track days out of a set
Sorry for the long post, but I've just read too much out there of people giving the PS4S a bad rap. I'm here to tell you that if you don't have any interest in getting a dedicated track wheel/tire setup (like myself), that they are damn close to performance of the Goodyears. However, keep in mind that they are awesome in the rain and will last waaaaaay longer "

Bottom line, my car is my DD, my track car, my "cargo" hauler, etc. So I don't have much interest to keep pushing the limit for corning speed as the risk exponentially gets higher. I'm no pro driver, so even if I lose 1-2 seconds off my best time with the Goodyears, I'm okay with that as the ROI on the PS4S is leaps and bounds better in all other categories (wear, wet traction, noise). Of course, these are my experiences and opinions.

If your only concern is lap times, than really the only option is a dedicated track wheel/tire setup.
Thank you this is a great write-up
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #7
Ventura 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Agree not nocking on the PS4s they do hold up a bit longer just like the Nitto G555 G2s I had .. but you can tell when you have a softer compound and it sticks .. the trade off is wear.. You can agree they are a harder tire.. more for street DD and occasional fun day at the track

Thus is why the more we track .. best to pull the trigger for a set of wheels and dedicated race compound that skirts the line of being DOT legal getting to the track.. Toyo R888 is what I am liking right now they are going at $1291 on a 19" rim.. 285 square set-up..
So they will last longer .. less money in the long run... is what Im thinking..
Old 04-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Th3Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Glad I could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
Agree not nocking on the PS4s they do hold up a bit longer just like the Nitto G555 G2s I had .. but you can tell when you have a softer compound and it sticks .. the trade off is wear.. You can agree they are a harder tire.. more for street DD and occasional fun day at the track

Thus is why the more we track .. best to pull the trigger for a set of wheels and dedicated race compound that skirts the line of being DOT legal getting to the track.. Toyo R888 is what I am liking right now they are going at $1291 on a 19" rim.. 285 square set-up..
So they will last longer .. less money in the long run... is what Im thinking..
Highly doubt that Nitto tire has the capabilities as the PS4S, it's a different class of tire. That aside, yes a track tire will get you more stick on track. But they sure won't last more track days than the PS4S.

Also, one of my points was, that dedicated track tires aren't for everyone. Most people won't even get to the limits of the factory tires or something like the PS4S, let alone a R888 or similar. Once you go to a true R compound tire, you will then expose things in the car like now you'll need more brakes (which the car will have a hard time dissipating the added heat), and now you'll have more body roll, etc. There is also the point of the increased risk potential since your cornering speeds will be that much high.

Will you be able to turn a faster lap time with track tires, absolutely! But for me and I'm sure many others, the added cost and risk aren't worth it. A couple seconds isn't worth all the above for me. To others, they want to max out the car as much as possible. Again... my $0.02.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Ventura 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Glad I could help!

Highly doubt that Nitto tire has the capabilities as the PS4S, it's a different class of tire. That aside, yes a track tire will get you more stick on track. But they sure won't last more track days than the PS4S.

Also, one of my points was, that dedicated track tires aren't for everyone. Most people won't even get to the limits of the factory tires or something like the PS4S, let alone a R888 or similar. Once you go to a true R compound tire, you will then expose things in the car like now you'll need more brakes (which the car will have a hard time dissipating the added heat), and now you'll have more body roll, etc. There is also the point of the increased risk potential since your cornering speeds will be that much high.

Will you be able to turn a faster lap time with track tires, absolutely! But for me and I'm sure many others, the added cost and risk aren't worth it. A couple seconds isn't worth all the above for me. To others, they want to max out the car as much as possible. Again... my $0.02.
Agree .. im looking at the point of keeping my oem wheels and tires away from the track all together. My reason... I just tracked going CW and the left side tires took most of the wear now the car wants to pull off center on the road due to the uneven wear. Its still nice when done tracking I can put the OE back on plus if I ever damage wheels on the track then its that set. Why not have the extra grip and back off the corners and not running hard each and every lap in a 20 minute session. I see guys do that.. they run 3 to 4 hot laps then run a cool down lap and hit the gas again.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Th3Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
Agree .. im looking at the point of keeping my oem wheels and tires away from the track all together. My reason... I just tracked going CW and the left side tires took most of the wear now the car wants to pull off center on the road due to the uneven wear. Its still nice when done tracking I can put the OE back on plus if I ever damage wheels on the track then its that set. Why not have the extra grip and back off the corners and not running hard each and every lap in a 20 minute session. I see guys do that.. they run 3 to 4 hot laps then run a cool down lap and hit the gas again.
I hear ya. Yeah that's a good idea too. I've had to swap my wheels left to right before half way through the day because of the punishment the Goodyears were taking lol. My goal is to have a set of tires that will last the whole 20 min session driving at 9-9.5/10ths. So far the factory Goodyears could just about get that done, and the PS4S held up too. I'm going to Sebring again on Friday and should have a lot of open track, so this will be another good test for them.