#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #239
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Historically I didn't keep the cars for long time, no more than 2-3 years.
One thing for sure though; if it wasn't for a Miata or the deal they that gave me , I would never replace my 1LE for another car any time soon. Luckily the same dealer both own Mazda and Chevrolet dealerships at the same facility so the transition was really smooth. Also because I didn't modify the car.

I didn't completely scratch the idea of coming back to Camaro after a while, if my plan with Miata doesn't go well (keep blowing engines or transmissions for say more than twice for instance) I might always come back. Camaros are better performance cars for the dollar for sure, if most bang for the buck factor matters the most
What matters to you most when you decide to buy a car? What's so special about that Miata? Most bang for the buck is definitely what I'm after. So ZL1 1LE is really attractive to me. (But I think it's better to learn how to drive on race track first )

I understand that timing is right and deal is good so you made the switch. But you have spent so much time and money on that car and now with a new car, you have to start over. I guess you enjoy this whole process. Plus, I would think it's such a trouble to deal with all the extra parts left such as extra wheels and tires.

"Also because I didn't modify the car. " why would this be a reason?

Do you worry about depreciation? People always say if you sell your new car in the first 2-3 years you lose the most. For all the cars you owned, I see some of them are new cars, not to mention the $ you spent on parts. I'm actually thinking to sell my car when it's out of warranty because I'm worried about blowing the motor on track. And also I want a ZL1 1LE or some other "bang for the buck" track car. BTW do you have recommendations?
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #240
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Hey Glam, totally random question... When you removed your blade spoiler that had the wicker bill on it was it only held on with adhesive or are there bolts going into the trunk?? may end up replacing the blade with ZL1 1LE style wing and wondering if I will need a new trunk. Thanks
Old 01-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #241
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
What matters to you most when you decide to buy a car?
If we're talking about the sports cars, "track-ability" and "cost and availability of the parts" are the two most important factors for me. Because of that I never considered some cars like Mustangs or Fords in general except maybe the GT350R (without its absurd market value due to limited supply) or any FWD in general.

Quote:
What's so special about that Miata? Most bang for the buck is definitely what I'm after. So ZL1 1LE is really attractive to me. (But I think it's better to learn how to drive on race track first )
Obviously not its power rating Miatas are not the best bang for the buck cars for power but they have their advantages of course. Overall driving experience is what I like the most since they're light and small, it really feels like an extension of the driver since the car is very communicative steering input, rear traction. Especially on a track with tight corners or driving on curvy roads (like canyon driving).

If you're looking for the best performer for the money, I think you already got the best car. Although ZL1 1LE is another performance bargain I don't think it's worth more than twice the cost since with the left over money some can make the Base SS (without the MRC) an amazing track car by using the GM Performance suspension parts, wheels, tires , weight reduction and even maybe adding some power for let's say $10-15k budget. This is a subjective opinion of course, some may prefer not to deal with any hassle and have the luxury to directly get the top dog performer with track warranty ..etc
I can still afford the ZL1 1LE but building my own Camaro with much lighter, N/A V8 sounds more fun to me

Quote:
I understand that timing is right and deal is good so you made the switch. But you have spent so much time and money on that car and now with a new car, you have to start over. I guess you enjoy this whole process. Plus, I would think it's such a trouble to deal with all the extra parts left such as extra wheels and tires.
You're right; buying a new car, modifying it and re-selling the car and parts will definitely cost money. However, lately I was buying the cars cheaper so my loss was minimal. Selling the parts may take some time but they will eventually sell, if you're not in a hurry

Quote:
"Also because I didn't modify the car. " why would this be a reason?
That means, I don't have to deal with return it to the stock or anything and sell tons of parts (exhausts, coilovers..etc ..etc).

Quote:
Do you worry about depreciation? People always say if you sell your new car in the first 2-3 years you lose the most. For all the cars you owned, I see some of them are new cars, not to mention the $ you spent on parts. I'm actually thinking to sell my car when it's out of warranty because I'm worried about blowing the motor on track. And also I want a ZL1 1LE or some other "bang for the buck" track car. BTW do you have recommendations?
I do, that's the reason why I didn't want to buy a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE since the depreciation amount (not ratio) will be greater. In this case, I didn't lose a penny when I traded my car since I got a great deal (used 1LE with 800 miles on it with extended GM warranty). I sure lost some money on the mods but that's expected as most of them are wear and tear items. At the end, buying a track car can never be an investment and some loss is unavoidable. I just try to minimize that loss as much as I can I also try not to think about the cost that much as I already drive/track relatively cheaper cars and YOLO applies here
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #242
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Hey Glam, totally random question... When you removed your blade spoiler that had the wicker bill on it was it only held on with adhesive or are there bolts going into the trunk?? may end up replacing the blade with ZL1 1LE style wing and wondering if I will need a new trunk. Thanks
Both adhesive and bolts were holding the OEM blade spoiler. If you're considering ZL1 1LE style wing, I think your best bet is to swap trunk with some base Camaro owner and start from scratch since 1LE trunk has some holes on them. I wish I took a photo but totally forgot

May I ask why you need the ZL1 1LE style wing? For the looks only?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #243
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the reply. Now I really want to try Miata, S2k, BRZ type of cars in future
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #244
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
Thanks for the reply. Now I really want to try Miata, S2k, BRZ type of cars in future
Sure. I would skip the BRZ since it's plain boring on both street and track because of the engine feel. S2000 is nice at the track but low end torque on the street may also be boring. Out of the three, ND Miata would get my vote, especially if the price is right. It's too early to tell how the reliability will be effected after modding it (Supercharger, cooling, coilovers, R comp tires) but with minimal modifications I think it should be fine (some suspension, header/exhaust/tune etC)

Miatas are quick cars for street and twisty roads but V8 and highway use might be addictive also
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #245
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Both adhesive and bolts were holding the OEM blade spoiler. If you're considering ZL1 1LE style wing, I think your best bet is to swap trunk with some base Camaro owner and start from scratch since 1LE trunk has some holes on them. I wish I took a photo but totally forgot

May I ask why you need the ZL1 1LE style wing? For the looks only?
I want it for the looks mostly not gonna lie haha but I do plan to be tracking my car more and more starting with this track season so it will also be functional, I know it won't really be too much more functional than the blade spoiler but it won't be completely pointless either. Can't honestly say I "need" it haha but you know how that goes with most car mods lol

Thanks for the confirmation on the bolts!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #246
glamcem

Quote:
I want it for the looks mostly not gonna lie haha but I do plan to be tracking my car more and more starting with this track season so it will also be functional, I know it won't really be too much more functional than the blade spoiler but it won't be completely pointless either. Can't honestly say I "need" it haha but you know how that goes with most car mods lol

Thanks for the confirmation on the bolts!
Personal preference of course I wouldn't mind if the car came with it but on the 1LE, it may not be functional. In fact it may even hurt the performance especially since it's not designed for the car. Even with the OEM ZL1 1LE aero, it may not be a good idea since it's been designed for a car with much more hp and stiffer suspension . It also doesn't add that much downforce at 150mph (300lbs IIRC) so why the drag penalty or worse mpg?.

For the record, I tried with and without the Stealth wicker bill, didn't notice anything and ended up removing that. If I don't see benefit why would I want to add more drag? I think 1LE's mechanical grip in the rear, with wider tires (like 325s) is good enough and likely because of the weight over the rear tires (heavy diff, axles ..etc) helps keeping the car very stable at higher speeds and in turns. On top of that, with 325s there's already tons of rear grip available and adding more down force may also increase the -preexisting-understeer and may take away some of that fun factor.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #247
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Personal preference of course I wouldn't mind if the car came with it but on the 1LE, it may not be functional. In fact it may even hurt the performance especially since it's not designed for the car. Even with the OEM ZL1 1LE aero, it may not be a good idea since it's been designed for a car with much more hp and stiffer suspension . It also doesn't add that much downforce at 150mph (300lbs IIRC) so why the drag penalty or worse mpg?.

For the record, I tried with and without the Stealth wicker bill, didn't notice anything and ended up removing that. If I don't see benefit why would I want to add more drag? I think 1LE's mechanical grip in the rear, with wider tires (like 325s) is good enough and likely because of the weight over the rear tires (heavy diff, axles ..etc) helps keeping the car very stable at higher speeds and in turns. On top of that, with 325s there's already tons of rear grip available and adding more down force may also increase the -preexisting-understeer and may take away some of that fun factor.
Very good points! Though I forget exactly what the #s are I do remember reading that the drag coefficient on the wing was extremely low, so I don't this the extra drag would be noticeable (or at least not significantly detrimental). The biggest turn off for me is simply the price, at $3500 I can do a lot of other stuff to the car for that amount of $ so that may be enough to deter me haha thanks a lot for your input!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #248
glamcem

Quote:
Very good points! Though I forget exactly what the #s are I do remember reading that the drag coefficient on the wing was extremely low, so I don't this the extra drag would be noticeable (or at least not significantly detrimental). The biggest turn off for me is simply the price, at $3500 I can do a lot of other stuff to the car for that amount of $ so that may be enough to deter me haha thanks a lot for your input!
Exactly, money can be well spent elsewhere . Also, ZL1 1LE trunks are reinforced for the wing and added down force, AFAIK
Old 01-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #249
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Exactly, money can be well spent elsewhere . Also, ZL1 1LE trunks are reinforced for the wing and added down force, AFAIK
Yep so I would have to try to find an Hyper Blue 18' to trade trunks with or just buy a new one so that's even more $ haha
Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #250
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I know I’m late to this party, especially since you’ve already sold the car, but how did you like the Schroth ASM 3? I’ve been looking at them for a long time for my current vehicle, but figured I’d give it a shot once I get my 1LE.
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #251
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
I know I’m late to this party, especially since you’ve already sold the car, but how did you like the Schroth ASM 3? I’ve been looking at them for a long time for my current vehicle, but figured I’d give it a shot once I get my 1LE.
ASM 3 was just fine, I used it on my BRZ too. It's nice to be able to use with OEM Recaro seats and simply tuck it under the seat when not needed
Old 03-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #252
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Schroth Rallye 3 ASM harness installed:

I've been planning on ordering the Rallye 3's for my 1LE and I just came across this post. I couldn't help but notice that you have the shoulder harnesses on the outside of the headrest posts. In case you missed it in the instructions, and for others who may see this post, Schroth only recommends the shoulder straps go on the outside of the posts if the distance between posts is less than 4 3/4". The Camaro posts are over 6 1/4" apart.

I recognize that putting the straps between the posts can be a problem because of the Recaro headrest design. It has that chin that blocks most of the opening between the top of the seat and headrest. So, if you're tall like me and your shoulders are above the top of the seatback, the straps would be forced to deflect down under the chin on the headrest. I've ordered a set of non-Recaro headrests that don't have that chin. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote