#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #57
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
How about a ZL1 1LE (R) with CCBS, speed M7 or A10, and 3.91s as a package.
Directly from the mouth of the man himself, Al Oppenheiser said this to Autotrader

"We don't want the rich guy who wants everything, checks all the feature boxes, and then just drives it to circle around the block. This is a car made for the track enthusiast, the person who is going to take it to their local track on the weekend. But it's approachable to find the limit of the car without the driver scaring themselves. We were focused on making the car drivable for every customer. But it's for the track enthusiast. That's why there is no automatic -- that's not who it is geared for."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...-review-266994

Simply put, the car wasn't meant for you. Based on your comments, you want bells and whistles just to have them. Like having the latest iPhone. This car was meant for those of us who actually hit the track, want real engagement and control of the car, and don't want to blow a fortune on consumables. It's not wrong for you to want these things and spend your money on them, just understand that you aren't the target demographic for the car. They still do cater to your demographic: offering you a Corvette with all of that!
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #58
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Anything about this one question making it?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #59
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Directly from the mouth of the man himself, Al Oppenheiser said this to Autotrader

"We don't want the rich guy who wants everything, checks all the feature boxes, and then just drives it to circle around the block. This is a car made for the track enthusiast, the person who is going to take it to their local track on the weekend. But it's approachable to find the limit of the car without the driver scaring themselves. We were focused on making the car drivable for every customer. But it's for the track enthusiast. That's why there is no automatic -- that's not who it is geared for."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...-review-266994

Simply put, the car wasn't meant for you. Based on your comments, you want bells and whistles just to have them. Like having the latest iPhone. This car was meant for those of us who actually hit the track, want real engagement and control of the car, and don't want to blow a fortune on consumables. It's not wrong for you to want these things and spend your money on them, just understand that you aren't the target demographic for the car. They still do cater to your demographic: offering you a Corvette with all of that!
Thanks for the awesome insight.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #60
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
7 is too many.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #61
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
7 is too many.
Care to explain why?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #62
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
7 is too many.
It's not hard to make a case for 7 if the car has ~200 mph capability.

I can remember when 5 sounded like more than you needed, and there was a time when many people thought that only 4 was one too many (for some, this was to the point of refusing to use all four).

Norm
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #63
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post

That's ironic since most of the buyers of the 1LE I see post here do exactly that, buy the car because its a desirable package and garage it and drive it around the block with their newly installed toe hook and talk about what ceramic coating they installed last week. Most 1LE drivers do not track it and have no intention to.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #64
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
That's ironic since most of the buyers of the 1LE I see post here do exactly that, buy the car because its a desirable package and garage it and drive it around the block with their newly installed toe hook and talk about what ceramic coating they installed last week. Most 1LE drivers do not track it and have no intention to.
Over the years, most owners of any sports car you could name never tracked their car either. They bought them for the fun-to-drive experience, which is something that can be enjoyed at a far more moderate pace than what these cars are actually capable of.

The fun to drive part is somewhat different from what you might call "fun to show/be seen in". You don't need an audience to have fun driving down a road that dares you to maintain speed whenever it stops being straight, and you don't need to be driving up near the car's limits to appreciate its general behavior.

Norm
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #65
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Over the years, most owners of any sports car you could name never tracked their car either. They bought them for the fun-to-drive experience, which is something that can be enjoyed at a far more moderate pace than what these cars are actually capable of.

The fun to drive part is somewhat different from what you might call "fun to show/be seen in". You don't need an audience to have fun driving down a road that dares you to maintain speed whenever it stops being straight, and you don't need to be driving up near the car's limits to appreciate its general behavior.

Norm
I'm aware of that, I was responding to the post where he said if you don't track the car, the 1LE is not meant for you.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #66
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I'm aware of that, I was responding to the post where he said if you don't track the car, the 1LE is not meant for you.
Just because its geared towards a particular type of buyer doesn't mean that nobody else is expected to buy it. It just means that GM isn't going to be making as many concessions to the mass market for it as they would for something more mainstream.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #67
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
This reminds me of the 2018 NY Auto Show this year. At the 2019 Corvette ZR1 display, there was an older man talking to the Technical person at the ZR1 display for about 5 minutes about whether the ZR1 would come with memory seats and mirrors. While waiting for this question to be beaten to death by the old man, I was thinking to myself. If the only question you have to ask about this 750 hp Supercar is whether it has memory seats OR not, then you really need to move on over to the BUICK booth ----- THIS CAR IS NOT FOR YOU.

At 47 years old, I am sure Ill get there one day. But I sure as HECK hope I never worry about memory seats in a super car like a ZR1.

I daily drive my ZL1 1LE. But hope to take it to the track, after my visit to the Chevy Track day event. Got my first taste of the road course.

I bought mine because I wanted the "Ultimate Camaro". I love the look, the feel, the awesomeness of the car. And I dont need to have a crowd around me to enjoy it.

I think its PERFECT. No 7th gear needed. I like cruising around in 6th gear in traffic and give it gas and it takes off (6th gear is lower in the ZL1 1LE). I have to look down to make sure I am not in 4th gear because it pulls so nicely at 45 mph, even in 6th gear.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #68
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
I think its PERFECT. No 7th gear needed. I like cruising around in 6th gear in traffic and give it gas and it takes off (6th gear is lower in the ZL1 1LE). I have to look down to make sure I am not in 4th gear because it pulls so nicely at 45 mph, even in 6th gear.

Torque like a diesel...revs like a gas engine.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #69
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Just because its geared towards a particular type of buyer doesn't mean that nobody else is expected to buy it. It just means that GM isn't going to be making as many concessions to the mass market for it as they would for something more mainstream.
Hey I didn't say that, or imply that. I was quoting what the head guy Al from Chevy said. If you disagree take it up with him not me.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #70
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Hey I didn't say that, or imply that. I was quoting what the head guy Al from Chevy said. If you disagree take it up with him not me.
I know what he said, and what was meant by it. And I agree with him. They built the car to suit the wants & needs of people who want to take their 1LE to the track.

You are the one that pointed out that most people don't take it to the track, and that this is the opposite to what they intended.

My point is that there is nothing inconsistent there. You can engineer a great track car and know full well most will never see a race track. The important thing isn't who doesn't track their car; its who does take their car to the track. And how does that compare to non-1LE Camaro buyers or Mustang or Challenger buyers.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote