Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
For all you guys that say don't worry about how the car was treated previously, I'll ask how many of you have had to have your LT1 engine replaced because it blew up?

If you have like I have (5K miles, bearing failure), and you've been through the pain of trying to manage the dealership errors made during the trans and engine removal/reinstallation process, you'd probably feel differently. It's a huge aggravation at a minimum, made worse still because it is nearly impossible to reinstall the all the wiring harnesses to their correct mounting points/positions underneath the car.
I've been driving since 1992 and a lot of that was driving a used car that I purchased. Not once did I have an issue with a used car like that. Sucks it happened to you but you're not in the majority. If all used cars were ticking time bombs then there wouldn't be any used cars.

There are people that have had issues like that with a new car too.

Anyone looking at used should do their homework and inspect the car to make sure it's all good. There are a shit ton of good used Camaros out there and just because some you are scared to buy one, does not mean that the OP should have the same fears.

As someone that has spent 20+ years in the business, dealer demos don't typically get driven hard. They almost always have the proper maintenance done as well. I would not be scared at all of a dealership demo but I'd put my eyes on it and drive it before I signed paperwork.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:20 PM   #16
Edward Paul

Drives: LT1
https://caredge.com/chevrolet/camaro/depreciation
For the milage it isn't too bad.
My 93 Z28 was slightly used and never gave me a problem before I sank in it.
Edward Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #17
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
Car was driven all 4K miles by the sales manager at the dealership, and it was not a rental and does have a clean Carfax and never been titled. I have been back and forth between Red Hot, Summit White and Rapid Blue as my #1 so I guess I could say tied for #1. I think all 3 paint codes look great and I wish I could own one of each. Not sure how all of you decided if you had multiple likes. The only reason I am asking is because we all know how this allocation situation is going. I am on 3 mos and I am getting a bit impatient ONLY because we have this deadline approaching and GM has been quiet about the possibility of a '24 model year. This demo has all my specs but the sport pedals and illuminated sill plates. Minor. However the thing that hits home the most is what was mentioned above , that the custom build goes out the window. I am very particular about anything I own. I would always prefer new over used because we just don't know the backstory. However, I do feel like I do get a little extreme with stuff. If you guys all said that is a helluva deal DO IT, it would at least make me more open to it. I know at the end of the day it's my decision but I also like to bounce things off people to get their opinion. I have learned some good lessons in life listening to what others before me have done. My only other concern and it's my biggest Is what super_sxxy323 said. I would get the call for allocation the following Thursday. That would be my luck. Some good feedback here. I am going to wait until tomorrow and see what happens. It is my Birthday Friday so wouldn't that call for allocation be a wonderful gift tomorrow!?
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
If you hold out on an allocation, there's no guarantee you'll ever get it. Camaro has the biggest question mark in terms of allocations. GM can also decide to pull the plug at any time and then it's all done.

I suggest that if you're happy with the way the demo is equipped and it's condition, get it. For me, the risk of not getting one would outweigh the risk of not being happy with a car that has almost everything I want.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #19
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
If you hold out on an allocation, there's no guarantee you'll ever get it. Camaro has the biggest question mark in terms of allocations. GM can also decide to pull the plug at any time and then it's all done.

I suggest that if you're happy with the way the demo is equipped and it's condition, get it. For me, the risk of not getting one would outweigh the risk of not being happy with a car that has almost everything I want.
Good point. In addition to the lack of allocations, there is so much uncertainty about when GM will pull the plug on the Camaro. The only other option is to keep looking for new an unsold car on a dealer lot or one in transit that isn't presold that meets your specifications. Last year I had been waiting 3 months for an allocation and then I found the exact same car in transit to another dealer. When I contacted the dealer it was available because the person who originally ordered it backed out after waiting six months with no allocation.
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
2003 Nissan 350Z (modified)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #20
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eCkO View Post
While I wait for allocation, I been browsing just look what's on the lots and I found a rapid blue 1SS that is very close to my exact build. Unfortunately I found out that it is a demo model with 4K miles on it. The car does look good. I don't see anything noticeable from the pics that would sway me in the opposite direction, outside the miles for a new car. Now, they are offering a $4K discount off the price of the sticker. I wouldn't normally consider a demo car but due to the allocation situation and it being so close to my build specs, I am a bit curious. Just wondered what y'all think about a deal like this. Would you jump at a discount like that with 4K on the odometer already? Just asking to see if anyone brings up anything I haven't thought of yet before I drive the 1.5 hrs to take a hard look.

What year? Auto or manual? Sounds like a helluva lot of miles for a Demo if its new.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #21
eCkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
What year? Auto or manual? Sounds like a helluva lot of miles for a Demo if its new.
'23 Rapid Blue A10
Old 01-25-2023, 05:01 PM   #22
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
For me, the Camaro is an indulgence and a luxury item. I want it but I don't need it. That's how I approached my Gen5 purchase, which was ordered to my exact spec, and that's how I intend to approach my Gen6 replacement. If I get timed out by GM decisions, well then I'll move on to another muscle car.

Also the experience of taking delivery of a car with two miles on the odometer is priceless.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:19 PM   #23
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I've been driving since 1992 and a lot of that was driving a used car that I purchased. Not once did I have an issue with a used car like that. Sucks it happened to you but you're not in the majority. If all used cars were ticking time bombs then there wouldn't be any used cars.

There are people that have had issues like that with a new car too.

Anyone looking at used should do their homework and inspect the car to make sure it's all good. There are a shit ton of good used Camaros out there and just because some you are scared to buy one, does not mean that the OP should have the same fears.

As someone that has spent 20+ years in the business, dealer demos don't typically get driven hard. They almost always have the proper maintenance done as well. I would not be scared at all of a dealership demo but I'd put my eyes on it and drive it before I signed paperwork.
I wish this forum had a "Like" Button that you can click on posts like the Harley forum I'm on... So I'll just quote your post and say I agree 110% with exactly what you said.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #24
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
There is possibly nothing wrong with the car and if it was me I would ask them to include at no cost an extended warranty because of it being a demo. If you really like the SS then go for it. That Rapid Blue is a cool looking color to me but if your heart is set on getting an SS with the options/color you want then go that route. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2023, 05:30 PM   #25
eCkO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I wish this forum had a "Like" Button that you can click on posts like the Harley forum I'm on... So I'll just quote your post and say I agree 110% with exactly what you said.
I am with you 100% on that.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #26
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
If it wasn’t a loaner (salesman aren’t getting a Camaro demo) I’d do it. Buy 4k in mods (BC forged wheels for me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:27 PM   #27
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You can guarantee that it didn't get the recommend 1500 miles of break in before it was driven hard (and probably no oil changes at 500 miles and 1500 miles which are also recommended). It might have been driven with cheaper low octane (and/or non-Top Tier) gas rather than the recommend premium Top Tier gas. Unless you were going to do all of this stuff yourself anyways or unless you are only planning to keep it for a few years, the demo is not worth it IMO. These things could reduce the reliability of the car over the long term.

It has probably also been through automatic carwashes which cause swirls in the paint. The manual advises to hand wash the car. Swirls can be corrected by polishing the car but each time you polish it the process removes some of the thickness of the clear coat.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #28
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
I bought a dealer 3rd gen with 5K miles and I ended up putting 100K+ with no issues before I sold it. However, the important thing with me is getting a color I want. You are going to have to look at it every day, don’t regret it.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote