Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #1
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
Demo model. Worth it?

While I wait for allocation, I been browsing just look what's on the lots and I found a rapid blue 1SS that is very close to my exact build. Unfortunately I found out that it is a demo model with 4K miles on it. The car does look good. I don't see anything noticeable from the pics that would sway me in the opposite direction, outside the miles for a new car. Now, they are offering a $4K discount off the price of the sticker. I wouldn't normally consider a demo car but due to the allocation situation and it being so close to my build specs, I am a bit curious. Just wondered what y'all think about a deal like this. Would you jump at a discount like that with 4K on the odometer already? Just asking to see if anyone brings up anything I haven't thought of yet before I drive the 1.5 hrs to take a hard look.
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
musclesbmf

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
It would take more than 4K for me to make it worth it. But that is approximately $75/month over 5 years.

Mark
musclesbmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:32 AM   #3
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'd say NO. Too likely that it's been driven hard off the lot (high RPM) without properly warming up the engine oil, which could cause wear on the bearings.

Some people think (me included until I started owning my SS) that the engine is totally warmed up when the water temp gets to normal operating temp, but that would be totally wrong in this case. The oil takes at least 15 minutes of regular driving to reach it's operating temp of 200F, while the water seems to only require about 5 min or less. Do you think everyone (or anyone for that matter) who test drives an SS is going to drive it conservatively for 15+ min BEFORE revving the engine out to a high RPM?

Amazing what you learn when you suddenly have a lot of sensor data at your disposal. Watch the oil temp display in the DIC and you'll be surprised how long it takes to warm up from a cold start.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #4
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I'd ask who had the car. One of the managers? A salesman? A loaner?
In the past a demo would have the 3/36 extended by the amount of miles and time. Make sure that is still the case. One of the best vehicles I owned was a demo. A 2016 F150 King Ranch that was driven by the general sales manager. I'm sure it was cleaned and detailed every day it was in the dealership.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #5
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I'd say NO. Too likely that it's been driven hard off the lot (high RPM) without properly warming up the engine oil, which could cause wear on the bearings.

Some people think (me included until I started owning my SS) that the engine is totally warmed up when the water temp gets to normal operating temp, but that would be totally wrong in this case. The oil takes at least 15 minutes of regular driving to reach it's operating temp of 200F, while the water seems to only require about 5 min or less. Do you think everyone (or anyone for that matter) who test drives an SS is going to test drive it for 15+ min BEFORE revving the engine out to a high RPM?

Amazing what you learn when you suddenly have a lot of sensor data at your disposal. Watch the oil temp display in the DIC and you'll be surprised how long it takes to warm up from a cold start.
Yes, I suspect that the VERY large oil supply in our engines DOES require a fair bit of time to fully warm up! Some previous generations of V8 engines made do with as little as 4 or 5 quarts.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
If you like the car and it wasn't a rental car, do it. Too many people will tell you to be scared of what could have happened to it in those 4k miles. It's a Camaro, not some ultra fragile one of a kind collectible. These cars are made to be beat on and there is an almost 0% chance that the majority of the 4k miles on that car were hard miles.

If it's clean and well taken cared of, I would not be scared of it.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:58 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
If I really wanted a new car, I would just wait. That said, IMO cheapest option is the best and this is essentially a lightly used car being sold as new with full factory warranty for a $4k discount.

I agree with GearheadSS, if it looks well taken care of I would give it good consideration.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
If I really wanted a new car, I would just wait. That said, IMO cheapest option is the best and this is essentially a lightly used car being sold as new with full factory warranty for a $4k discount.

I agree with GearheadSS, if it looks well taken care of I would give it good consideration.
I agree. Unless you absolutely have to have a brand new car I would consider it if it is what you want, in good shape and priced right. Over the years I've purchased multiple demo/executive cars and never had an issue with any of them. The only other consideration is whether it's still considered a new car for financing and incentives. Sounds like it would be if it is a dealer demo and never titled.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:45 PM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
You'll always have this rattling around in the back of your mind. If that's worth $4K?
I rag the day lights out of my cars but it was ME...not some other guy or group of guys that beat on it. Or gave it the little old lady treatment.
At any rate I'd want the 3/36 and 5/60 extended accordingly if not a separate extended service plan thrown in there.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:16 PM   #10
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Pros:
Immediate gratification
$4K off
Looks good
455 hp/455 trq
SS bliss
Not exact build but close

Cons:
Not special ordered (no paper work to match order number on window sticker)
Not Red Hot
Not exact build but close
4K miles
1.5 hours drive to do deal
Window sticker?
New car smell?
Settle for something close?
Buyers remorse?

Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
If you like the car and it wasn't a rental car, do it. Too many people will tell you to be scared of what could have happened to it in those 4k miles. It's a Camaro, not some ultra fragile one of a kind collectible. These cars are made to be beat on and there is an almost 0% chance that the majority of the 4k miles on that car were hard miles.

If it's clean and well taken cared of, I would not be scared of it.
Agreed 100%... I also don't understand the whole hesitation of (buying a car that was built to be driven hard) because it was driven hard... That makes no sense to me. I bought my SS used with just over 36k miles on it, two previous owners. Zero issues with it. To each their own. Car the OP is talking about is even still under manufacturer warranty. To me there is zero risk. Go for it.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #12
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
What's the status of your build?

If you take the ride, ask for service records. Get a carfax, although most small dings/dents don't get reported. What's the status of the manufacturer warranty? Ask who drove it - was it a loaner or who was the driver as a demo? Was it a loaner than given to someone for demo use? Honestly, I don't even think it matters who drove it. Myself, as someone who gets a "demo" (off loaner cars), someone would probably look at me and say - oh, she don't look like she drives her cars hard. Or even knowing my title as the office manager and thinking I'm a light driver. Little do they know My feet are just made of steel or something. It's just the heaviest part of my body... ...

Anyway... Do some comparisons with the same model and mileage and see where they stand with that $4k.

You know once (if) you take delivery, your build will bump status

Personally, unless there was something seriously wrong with what my custom build would be, I'd wait for what I specifically ordered! It was the most excruciating 5.5 months of my life but sooooo fkk'ing worth it! Close doesn't count in my book! And I was tempted on so many occasions with my anxiety level of need right now!
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:43 PM   #13
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Rapid blue isn't Red Hot Red , you have a lot of suggestions previous to me. Was Rapid blue your 2nd choice? Will they go 5k or 6 k off MSRP
Look it over very very well . The final dicision is yours .
Old 01-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
For all you guys that say don't worry about how the car was treated previously, I'll ask how many of you have had to have your LT1 engine replaced because it blew up?

If you have like I have (5K miles, bearing failure), and you've been through the pain of trying to manage the dealership errors made during the trans and engine removal/reinstallation process, you'd probably feel differently. It's a huge aggravation at a minimum, made worse still because it is nearly impossible to reinstall the all the wiring harnesses to their correct mounting points/positions underneath the car.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote