Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #29
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I put nexgen on about 2 months ago and did a second coat today. I have enough left for at least 2 more coats . I'll say it lasts about 2 months. Think I'll try the turtle wax hybrid spray when I run out of nexgen.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:17 AM   #30
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Products for polish and ceramic coat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post

You probably won’t like this video either. 90% SiO2 content is impossible by the way. I’ve seen most not claim a % and the ones who do range from 5-30%. Who have you seen with over 50%?

‘Why SiO2 % content doesn’t matter’. https://youtu.be/krCbwWm2I8M

Soooo…. Turtlewax still a sealant though. And my sio2 percentage was to point out difference between a sealant that are now called spray coating vs a true ceramic coating.

I haven’t tried Adam’s ceramic spray coating but have tried their graphene. They are not true coatings.

And sorry you won’t get me to watch that one video supporting your claim…. Especially from Ethos.

And he’s probably talking about soaps ir “spray coatings” (which are sealants with a little sio2 tossed in them) or sio2 soaps.

Which yes there percentage s don’t matter as the surfactants or polymer are performing and the sio2 is in there for marketing.

In Coatings the amount of silica (sio2) absolutely has to do with hardness of product. Not the end all be all as purity is important too.

And yes the do go to 95%.

A little education in that sealant (spray coating), quick detailers, waterless washes and other sio2 products give sio2% yes it is the amount of Sio2 in product.

When you hear it from a true coating it is talking about how much sio2 is left in protection on paint once carrier solvent has flashed and been removed.

When product has flashed or rainbowed the sio2 and base additives have adhered to paint and you are removing just carrier solvent.

Car Pro UK3.0 is probably the #1 consumer based true ceramic coating on the market. It’s 70%. There Pro installed coatings are higher.

Tacs System One if the bigger brands around the world. Also was rumored to be CarPros manufacturer before the made it big. 70%

And here a review from the Guz. Has a small YouTube channel and presence on Autogeek forum for Gyeon Pure Evo. He stated sio2 % around 90%.

Got from Gyeon rep who gave him product to test coating.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-pure-evo.html

Quote:

90% SiO2 content is impossible by the way. I’ve seen most not claim a % and the ones who do range from 5-30%. Who have you seen with over 50%?
I love my cars but detailing them is my hobby. You should do some google before you give matter of fact statements that aren’t true.

A good high solid Prosumer to pro installed coating will be 50-90%

A Coating lite (see Gyeon CanCoat, CarPro lite and TacSystems moonlight). Will be 25-50%

Sio2 Sealants (spray coatings) will basically have a low content of Sio2 which is debatable if actually functional.

Now that doesn’t mean it’s not a good product but will not protect, self clean, or have water behavior anywhere near a true coating.

Take a look at older post about Turlte wax seal n shine. People loved it. The made a v2 with a tiny bit of Sio2 and did well. You tube influencers liked it.

Turtle Wax got smart and paid influencers to pitch their hybrid ceramic line when it came out.

In actuality it performs basically same as their original Seal n Shine just now with ceramic thrown in to capitalize on the ceramic coating craze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:27 AM   #31
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I like TurtleWax at $11 because it works. Like ProjectFarm stated, it beat Adam’s, Meguiar’s and Mothers and was the least expensive. Love it when that happens. Kinda like when a Z06 beats a GT3.
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:21 AM   #32
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
who cares about concentration.
I have been detailing for the past 17years and go by what works. Who cares what marketing claims.
If you have actual experience with it and can attest to its workability, and durability then give a opinion on it. If you are going by marketing then who cares what it says. Hell most of the CG stuff they claim will last months but in reality it will last like 2weeks because 99% of their stuff is marketing and they are mediocre.
I dont ever recall using a product and looking at what concentrate of what is in it. I can careless. If it is giving me the durability I am expecting and is easy to use. I dont care what they claim is in it.
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:37 AM   #33
GHarris

Drives: 2023 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post
I recently bought my Camaro (2021) and I am looking at doing a polish and ceramic coat to protect the paint and keep it looking good. It is black so things like dust and paint swirls show up much more compared to other colors.

I have decided that I want to do the entire process myself to save some money, and also because I enjoy working on my car. I have found that I will need to wash and clay bar, polish, and then ceramic coat to make it last. (I will also take suggestions for this process, if there is something I should add or something that isn't necessary)

I have done some research about products and processes since I haven't done anything like this before and I have found mostly that it is very confusing to narrow down the type of product to use since there seems to be an endless amount on the market.

The paint on my car is in good shape since it is new and only has minor paint swirls, so my question is: what is the best polish to use to get rid of these paint swirls and make the black paint look good?

I am also looking for suggestions on the overall process of polishing and using ceramic coat, and what the best ceramic coat would be. I want this car to look good however it is not a $100,000+ car so I am not looking to spend a fortune on products.

One last point, I do have decals on my car, am I able to polish and ceramic coat overtop them as I would the regular paint or should I avoid them?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should point out that since I am new to the process, easy to use products will be best. As well, since this is my daily driver (even in the winter) I am not looking for a product that will last for years and years. I am thinking a product I can apply once or twice a year might be better since it seems that the longer lasting products will need more of an experienced hand to apply
Look into McKees37. They did a live stream on YouTube detailing the process from start to finish using a 23 ZL1. Very good products and good people.
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:54 AM   #34
22SS1LE

McKees37 makes alot of good stuff
Old 01-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #35
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
McKee's Sio2 spray is actually pretty nice and a good topical if you want a quick hydrophobic fix that is near impossible to screw up. In fact, I think I'd be pretty damn impressed if someone did screw that up. It's literally a spray on/wash off product.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #36
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I thought the idea of SI02 and specifically TurtleWax is that it bonds with the clear coat and makes it both thicker and stronger. In fact the highest verifiable at 9H. That would make it something more than a polish, topical or typical wax, correct?
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:13 PM   #37
22SS1LE

Quote:
I thought the idea of SI02 and specifically TurtleWax is that it bonds with the clear coat and makes it both thicker and stronger. In fact the highest verifiable at 9H. That would make it something more than a polish, topical or typical wax, correct?
Its a sealant and its much more durable than wax. with the Turtle wax seal n shine I see about 4-5months of durability.
Dont believe ANY of that marketing from any company about 9h 10h hardness of a ceramic.
Its not going to be scratch-proof. a true ceramic coating not a spray sealant ceramic will only assist in micromarring caused by improper washing. Even then its not going to stop it. The real benefits of a ceramic coating is chemical protection from the elements and easier cleaning stuff that does get on the paint. No one should ever go into a ceramic coating think once they have it the paint will be hard to scratch.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:33 AM   #38
Chevelle vs Camaro

Quote:
I like TurtleWax at $11 because it works. Like ProjectFarm stated, it beat Adam’s, Meguiar’s and Mothers and was the least expensive. Love it when that happens. Kinda like when a Z06 beats a GT3.

Definitely not saying it’s a bad product and definitely better than those 3. Super easy to use and can apply to a full car in 10-15 minutes.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:38 AM   #39
Chevelle vs Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
who cares about concentration.
I have been detailing for the past 17years and go by what works. Who cares what marketing claims.
If you have actual experience with it and can attest to its workability, and durability then give a opinion on it. If you are going by marketing then who cares what it says. Hell most of the CG stuff they claim will last months but in reality it will last like 2weeks because 99% of their stuff is marketing and they are mediocre.
I dont ever recall using a product and looking at what concentrate of what is in it. I can careless. If it is giving me the durability I am expecting and is easy to use. I dont care what they claim is in it.

Well the amount of Sio2 in an actual ceramic coating directly leads to durabilty. And I have used or own the products listed in my original post.

And learning what’s in them and how they work helps make an educated decision on a $60-120 coating that will be applied to the car for 1-3 years.

Cquartz UK 3.0 was my 1st I used and I got 2 years of amazing protection before I wrecked car. Woulda probably got 3 years plus but woulda polished off before then.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:47 AM   #40
Chevelle vs Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
Its a sealant and its much more durable than wax. with the Turtle wax seal n shine I see about 4-5months of durability.
Dont believe ANY of that marketing from any company about 9h 10h hardness of a ceramic.
Its not going to be scratch-proof. a true ceramic coating not a spray sealant ceramic will only assist in micromarring caused by improper washing. Even then its not going to stop it. The real benefits of a ceramic coating is chemical protection from the elements and easier cleaning stuff that does get on the paint. No one should ever go into a ceramic coating think once they have it the paint will be hard to scratch.

a lot of People think the 9h is from 9h from MOH mineral scale which at that level would be diamond hard.

It actually from the pencil test.

“The pencil scale is a test of hardness that gives an impression on how hard a certain coating is. The test is done by pressing a pencil with a certain hardness firmly on the surface on a 45 degrees angle. The highest grade that does not make permanently mark the surface is the score for the pencil scale.”

So a lot of confusion on this and then marketing peeps jump on this with “diamond coating talk”.

A lot of snake oil in detailing supplies.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #41
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
All this talk about polish & ceramic coat! I've formulated a "plan of attack" for my car, and now I can't wait for warmer weather to start on it. Temps are going to be in the 30s over the next several days, maybe around 50 in the garage. But still too cold to do a surface prep wash, which needs to be the first step.

Or can I do some polishing on the rough spots (mostly bug splatters that have eaten in the clearcoat) without doing the surface prep wash, with temps around 50? I really don't know what's on the surface of the car, I just picked it up the day before Thanksgiving.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #42
22SS1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
All this talk about polish & ceramic coat! I've formulated a "plan of attack" for my car, and now I can't wait for warmer weather to start on it. Temps are going to be in the 30s over the next several days, maybe around 50 in the garage. But still too cold to do a surface prep wash, which needs to be the first step.

Or can I do some polishing on the rough spots (mostly bug splatters that have eaten in the clearcoat) without doing the surface prep wash, with temps around 50? I really don't know what's on the surface of the car, I just picked it up the day before Thanksgiving.
do a rinseless wash to clean it up first. I hardly ever do hose washes anymore.
So much faster doing a rinseless and alot less water used. Only 2-3gallons.
I used ONR for years but recently I started to use P&S absolute and DIY Detail rinseless. the DIY one is by far the best in my eyes in terms of cleaning power, slickness and safe washing.

After that go ahead and polish away.

Tags
#beginner, #ceramiccoat, #needsuggestions, #polish