Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
GenSix2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Exclamation Metallic Rattle Coming From Under Body? - 2016 Camaro SS

Hey all. Hoping to get some opinions here...

I have a 2016 Camaro SS equipped with dual-mode exhaust. I usually leave the car in the track-mode exhaust sound setting all of the time (for obvious reasons). Lately, I have been experiencing a metallic rattling noise coming from the middle-area of the under body of the car upon idle after start up. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the rattle noise as it's happened on cold starts, warm starts and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Recently it's been happening about every other time I start it. Typically it lasts about 10-15 seconds while in idle and in park and then the rattling noise goes away. I've never noticed the rattle while driving or idling at a stop light.

I haven't taken it into the dealer yet but I think there's a bulletin that exists for this issue:
#17-NA-011: Rattling Noise Heard from Under Vehicle when Engine Running - (Jan 19, 2017)

Condition: Some customers may comment that a metallic rattling noise can
be heard coming from under the vehicle when the engine is
running.

Cause: This condition may be caused by loose nuts that secure the
exhaust bracket to the catalytic converter and transmission.

Correction: If you encounter a vehicle with the above concern, the nuts must be replaced with a torque prevailing nut.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
2. Remove the catalytic converter support bracket nuts (1).
3. Install the new catalytic converter support bracket nuts.
Tighten
TightenTorque the nuts to specifications. Refer to Fastener Specifications in SI.
4. Validate exhaust system alignment.
5. Lower the vehicle and verify that the rattle noise has been eliminated.

I'll try to include a video I took capturing the rattling sound as close to the noise area as I could with my phone. Has anyone else experience similar issues and if so did this bulletin remedy the concern?

Thanks all!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
GenSix2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Can't upload video...

Unfortunately my video file size is too large so I can't upload!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
I have a rattle on start up, but it's much louder on cold start up, also I hear a slight rattle when accelerating slightly or as it's putting on a load
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Did you fix this? I get a rattle but it's only during low rpm when I'm taking off. I'm pretty sure this is it.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ghlight=rattle

Mine was a fuel feed pipe rattle. Took it the the dealer. All fixed.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
I took mine to the dealer today and they tried to tell me that my corsa axle back exhaust voided my warranty and they could not diagnose it without me paying for it. After raising hell for a bit they finally acknowledged they were wrong and that the axle back exhaust would only void anything in the exhaust from the axle back on, which would be nothing. I think my issue is the tsb mentioned above, so they're ordering the bolts and hopefully that fixes my rattle.

But seriously...why would dealers think an axle back exhaust would be the cause for anything. I wonder if people actually get denied warranty work because of exhaust mods. One thing I must say about ford is...they never said a word about exhaust as long as it had cats and stock headers. Pretty much anything that didn't require ecu tuning was ok with almost all dealers.

What is wrong with these dealers.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
mike'SS

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro 2SS M6
I just took my car in for a rattle when shifting from 1st to 2nd (manual). Usually happens when the clutch is pressed and depressed. Has anyone had that issue?
mike'SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
W16camaro2SS

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss
Does your car sound like this? I took my car to the dealer but they cant see where the rattling is coming from.
https://youtu.be/iwVLbkIp-uA
W16camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
leggatt

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by W16camaro2SS View Post
Does your car sound like this? I took my car to the dealer but they cant see where the rattling is coming from.
https://youtu.be/iwVLbkIp-uA
This is exactly the sound my car is making. Did you get it resolved?
leggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
Glad I found this. I just started noticing this, but only when I pull into a parking spot with a car surrounding me on both sides. I guess the two cars allows a better echo. It only happens for about 10 to 15 seconds and then stops. PM me if you found a solution.

Last edited by njweatherman; 05-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
Have an appointment this Wednesday at the dealership. I will have them put it on a lift with the car on to see if we can pinpoint this. I'm not sure if mine is
#17-NA-011: Rattling Noise Heard from Under Vehicle when Engine Running
It may be a loose heat shield??

I've done numerous tests and the only time it makes the 5 to 10 second metallic rattle is when I pull into a parking spot with either one car next to me (driver's side or passenger side) and/or both. If no cars are next to me, I don't hear it. Plus, it does not happen at a stop sign or red light.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
stevenjay

Drives: 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV
I had that same noise as in the video and it was a loose baffle in the exhaust resonators (they kinda look like mini cats) I have a 2014 Caprice PPV with a LFX V6 which is very similar to the Camaro platform. Get the car up in air on 4 jack stands or a lift and bang your fist on the exhaust starting right behind the cats. I could recreate the sound with the engine off just by just pouding on it. A rubber mallet did not work as well as the side of my hand in a fist for some reason. Hope this helps!
stevenjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
stevenjay

Drives: 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
This is exactly the sound my car is making. Did you get it resolved?
See my response...I guarantee thats your issue
stevenjay is offline   Reply With Quote