Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #71
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Unless your Camaro is tracked, changing the oil more frequently than the OLM monitor interval is a waste of money, and is at cross purposes with the OLM.

Along with fuel injector "cleaning", which is not a recommended service in the manual, and oil catch cans, over changing oil is another way for marketers to take money out of your hands for 'cheap insurance".

I've used Penzoil Ultra Platinum in my RS at 10% OLM since the 1st oil change was done after the break-in period. and always buy gas at Esso (Exxon).
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #72
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
That's 1,410 miles in 2yrs and 5 months...lol...

The OLM reads 76% remaining!

Think I will change it today....lol...Oil looks clear and clean on dipstick, though...and the two unused 5qt jugs I have of Mobil 1 05W-30 are at least over two years old as well...I don't think that matters...lol...
The OLM algorithm probably different for Gen5 as others stated.
If we got a 1 year countdown in the Gen6, it is probably a result of GM experience with a similar car. If the Gen5 had developed problems, GM probably would have reflashed the BCM under a recall or service campaign to add the time factor. A similar scenario happened with my 2011 Acadia. Timing chain stretch was the problem and they did a recall which set the oil change interval at a flat 5000 miles, ignoring all other parameters.

Just FYI, Exxon/Mobil states a shelf life of 5 years for their unopened oils. This is for "inventory management," which makes me think the average consumer could store it even longer. Oil is not hygroscopic.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #73
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
First, understand what oil you actually need and can use. The dexos2 0W-40 is much more expensive and not necessary if you don't track the car. If you drive on the street only, and don't constantly wind the motor out as if you were on the track, you can run 5W-30 dexos1 oil. For THAT oil, I personally use the Costco (Kirkland) 5W-30 dexos1 oil that comes two five quart jugs to a box for $30 along with a Mobil1 filter. WalMart branded oil is also available as 5W-30 dexos1. Check with your local dealership as well since they are likely using the 5W-30 dexos1 oil by default if they do the oil change (that's what they use for the complimentary service visit most of the time).

Second, here are other useful times to change the oil:

- After the odometer hits 500 miles
- After the odometer hits 1500 miles
- When the minder indicates to do so
- After a full year of time since the previous oil change
- Either immediately before storing the car, or as part of taking it out of storage

Oil changes are part of owning and maintaining the vehicle just like gas, registration, and insurance are - do them right and the car will hold up well.
so what if you do drive the car on the street as if you were on the track....what oil?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #74
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
so what if you do drive the car on the street as if you were on the track....what oil?
If you genuinely DO drive like that on the street, you don't have to worry about it because you'll be in jail and/or the car will be wrecked.

Seriously - track conditions are very different than street driving. But, if you think you're driving the car hard enough that it would be considered track use, then use the 0W-40 dexos2 if you want to stay in warranty.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #75
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
If you genuinely DO drive like that on the street, you don't have to worry about it because you'll be in jail and/or the car will be wrecked.

Seriously - track conditions are very different than street driving. But, if you think you're driving the car hard enough that it would be considered track use, then use the 0W-40 dexos2 if you want to stay in warranty.
trust me - nobody is driving anywhere like that on the street. If you think you are, I am guessing you haven't been on the track much
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #76
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
trust me - nobody is driving anywhere like that on the street. If you think you are, I am guessing you haven't been on the track much
My thoughts exactly... No one is sustaining RPM's in the upper quarter of the range to redline for 30-45-60 minutes at a time on the street... You just can't. I mean, you COULD drive on the highway in second gear... lol
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #77
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
This. I taught a local “touge mountain racer” m3 owner a painful lesson years ago. He was talking all the smack about racing me in the mountains for money (which I would never do....what an idiot). Finally convinced him to join me at a track day. At the time I had a track prepped 4th Gen SS. He was 15 seconds slower than me after 2 sessions. He eventually drove by my pits, handed me the $200 wager out the window, and drove home before the lunch hour. Lol
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #78

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
The oil in the plastic containers is sealed to prevent moisture or contaminants from being able to enter.

Odds are that the OLM on the Gen5 cars does not take into account the calendar - only miles.
Thanks. That appears to be the case with the OLM on my 5th Gen. The manual does say to change the oil annually regardless of the OLM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:27 PM   #79
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
The oil in the plastic containers is sealed to prevent moisture or contaminants from being able to enter.
Bubble burster.
Turns out this is most likely not the case. It is more like a tamper prevention seal. Apparently in certain parts of this country in the not too distant past it was not uncommon to find jugs of used oil on the shelves. That is why all brands seal the 5 qt jugs, but not necessarily the 1 qt. The geniuses behind this are probably already abusing amazon free returns with the same scam.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #80
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
every 5,000 for me.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #81
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
i follow the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWT View Post
What I do:

First oil change between 1k & 1.5K, second change at 5k on the odometer and all changes after that 5k or 1 year (all my vehicles). I use almost exclusively Mobil 1 & OEM recommended filters. I am trying to convert to following the OLM but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

What I think can safely, easily and probably should be done:

Follow the OLM. The newest OLM algorithms measure so many systems, factors & parameters it's crazy. Virtually all of the reasons listed prior in this thread for desiring to not follow the OLM, with the possible exception tracking, are accounted for in the algorithm. There's no need to try and outsmart the OLM.

The old days of a "dumb" OLM just keeping track of mileage are long gone. Yes, you had to outsmart the older OLM systems and adjust for driving style, usage, etc., because it was going to tell you to change the oil at XXXX miles regardless. However, that is no longer the case.

The current OLM recommendations are based on OEM recommended oil (proper weight and Dexos approved) and a properly spec'd oil filter. So if using some specialty oil containing Unicorn urine that's not Dexos approved and/or a "better" non-spec filter, then all bets are off. Then again between the Unicorn urine and the better filter, the oil probably never needs to be changed. (j/k, don't get excited)

What I think you should do:

Whatever you want, it's your car, time and money.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #82
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
On my new 1le I just changed oil and diff at 1500 miles. As I will be auto crossing it a week. Did breakin per manual. I know if the old 2018 performance manual but my car didn’t come with that, just a reduced version. My gm tech friend just said to do both at 1500. More miles the better to 1500. But only autocross, no track.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #83
bng349

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
Every 5k for me but I only use this

https://www.mobil.com/lubricants/-/m...A14BBDF273FED1
bng349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:48 AM   #84
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Every 5k is good enough, unless you go to the track a lot.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote