Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #29
Arizona_Droptop

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertd33 View Post
no, they are not required at all to do so.

for the lock nuts, i had the same issue.
i finally called McGard (the manufacturer) and asked what to do.
they can tell you what locations have a master set of keys. there were only 4 in my state (MO). there are many different patterns (random choice) available, so there's no way to tell which you have installed.

most tire shops will be able to get them off with a nut extractor, but the lock nut will be damaged in the process.
I just called the local chevy dealership. They can do it for me. $60 to replace the locks. $140 for the labor of removing the old ones. So $200 to fix this.

It's annoying, but it is what it is I guess.
Arizona_Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Droptop View Post
I just called the local chevy dealership. They can do it for me. $60 to replace the locks. $140 for the labor of removing the old ones. So $200 to fix this.

It's annoying, but it is what it is I guess.
Just sort of theorizing here...

Go back to the dealership that sold you the car. Ask them that, since they sold the car, if they would at least remove the bad / useless locking nuts. You have a right to work on your own car, and they have effectively put you in a position that you -can't- do a variety of maintenance and repair tasks because you can't get the wheels off. All you're asking them to do is to make good on what they sold you... Which includes access to a "minimum set" of things on the car like wheels, tires, brakes, etc.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #31
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post

Go back to the dealership that sold you the car. Ask them that, since they sold the car, if they would at least remove the bad / useless locking nuts. You have a right to work on your own car, and they have effectively put you in a position that you -can't- do a variety of maintenance and repair tasks because you can't get the wheels off. All you're asking them to do is to make good on what they sold you... Which includes access to a "minimum set" of things on the car like wheels, tires, brakes, etc.

I like this idea, too.

I know dealerships are always overpriced, but I think $140 is crazy. I'd think you could buy some sort of socket that would remove these for WAY less & then you do the work yourself.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #32
Arizona_Droptop

Quote:

That's a great idea, but that dealership is in Tucson, and I live in Phoenix. Basically a two hour drive each way. Not sure if that would be cost/time effective vs ponying up the $200 for the dealer ten minutes from me.

At the very least, I will continue calling them. I am hoping they can at least contact the previous owner or something.

Thanks again for all of your help guys.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
I like this idea, too.

I know dealerships are always overpriced, but I think $140 is crazy. I'd think you could buy some sort of socket that would remove these for WAY less & then you do the work yourself.
$140 is within the realm of a common hourly rate, and dealerships simply won't do anything for less than a full hour of labor.

You can definitely get them off yourself, but you run the risk of damaging the wheels due to limited clearances between the lug nuts and the wheel itself.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
That's a great idea, but that dealership is in Tucson, and I live in Phoenix. Basically a two hour drive each way. Not sure if that would be cost/time effective vs ponying up the $200 for the dealer ten minutes from me.

At the very least, I will continue calling them. I am hoping they can at least contact the previous owner or something.

Thanks again for all of your help guys.
You should reach out to the selling dealership and talk to the General Sales Manager. Explain the situation and ask what kind of remedies he can offer. If he insists on you bringing the car back, ask him whether he plans to comp you for your time, miles, gas, etc. since this was an oversight on their part.

Ask him if he would be open to sending you a check to pay for the efforts in your local area to correct this.

Reach out to the Better Business Bureau in the Tucson area to determine whether or not you could leverage them to lodge a complaint against the business if they simply will not work with you. So long as your request for help from the dealership is reasonable, the BBB should be able to assist in getting a complaint resolved.

Check with a large tire shop locally to see if THEY have the correct keyed sockets. Call GM and open a Customer Service case requesting assistance (if there's ANY sort of GM-backed coverage on the car, then it should be able to be addressed at any dealership).

I had an issue with an Acura RDX that I bought under a CPO program where I simply missed the face that there was a small chip in the driver side rear-view mirror. I called the dealership and inquired and was initially met with a TON of resistance and the service tech / writer insisting that there was no way that it was their fault because of NY State Law, etc. I called back and talked to the general manager and basically said... "Look, I get it. Everyone there is doing a LOT on a daily basis, and there are a lot of boxes to check when going over a car to get it ready for sale. This is somewhat obscure, not overwhelmingly easy to see, and it just got missed. Help me understand how to get this corrected without having to incur a couple hundred dollars in cost and time to get the car back to you."

They ordered a replacement glass under warranty, shipped it to me at home, and I sent back the broken one. Took almost none of my time, and a few bucks to mail the broken part back.

The things I've learned over the years basically boil down to this... People overall -like- to be helpful to others. When you have a problem, frame it as "I need your help..."

Don't be a Karen. Assume you are owed absolutely nothing. Be humble and reasonable in your ask.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #35
Arizona_Droptop

Quote:
You should reach out to the selling dealership and talk to the General Sales Manager. Explain the situation and ask what kind of remedies he can offer. If he insists on you bringing the car back, ask him whether he plans to comp you for your time, miles, gas, etc. since this was an oversight on their part.

Ask him if he would be open to sending you a check to pay for the efforts in your local area to correct this.

Reach out to the Better Business Bureau in the Tucson area to determine whether or not you could leverage them to lodge a complaint against the business if they simply will not work with you. So long as your request for help from the dealership is reasonable, the BBB should be able to assist in getting a complaint resolved.

Check with a large tire shop locally to see if THEY have the correct keyed sockets. Call GM and open a Customer Service case requesting assistance (if there's ANY sort of GM-backed coverage on the car, then it should be able to be addressed at any dealership).

I had an issue with an Acura RDX that I bought under a CPO program where I simply missed the face that there was a small chip in the driver side rear-view mirror. I called the dealership and inquired and was initially met with a TON of resistance and the service tech / writer insisting that there was no way that it was their fault because of NY State Law, etc. I called back and talked to the general manager and basically said... "Look, I get it. Everyone there is doing a LOT on a daily basis, and there are a lot of boxes to check when going over a car to get it ready for sale. This is somewhat obscure, not overwhelmingly easy to see, and it just got missed. Help me understand how to get this corrected without having to incur a couple hundred dollars in cost and time to get the car back to you."

They ordered a replacement glass under warranty, shipped it to me at home, and I sent back the broken one. Took almost none of my time, and a few bucks to mail the broken part back.

The things I've learned over the years basically boil down to this... People overall -like- to be helpful to others. When you have a problem, frame it as "I need your help..."

Don't be a Karen. Assume you are owed absolutely nothing. Be humble and reasonable in your ask.
I just wanted to say thank you for the time you have taken to help me out and give me advice. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #36
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
My funnel was missing, but I bought my 2SS used. Picked one up at local parts store for a couple bucks. I'd move yours to the trunk as the glovebox is small enough as it is!
And, you should not put it in the glovebox right after you use it!
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #37
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael-k View Post
And, you should not put it in the glovebox right after you use it!
I thought that might be kinda obvious so I didn't suggest it!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #38
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Still getting to know/understand my vehicle, so forgive the basic questions please. Anyway, I would like some help in identifying what is under the floor of my trunk.

Locations marked 1 and 2 appear to be missing something. I am guessing this is where the tire inflation kit is supposed to go. I think that is #1. But what is #2? Also, should the dealer provide this tire inflation kit even if the car is used?

As for #3 and #4. What exactly are these components?

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks guys! I appreciate you helping me identify 3 and 4. And looks like 1 and 2 being empty is normal since #1 - I have run flats and for #2 - The fuel funnel is in my glovebox.

3 is called a Flux Capacitor.

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 03-12-2021 at 07:44 PM. Reason: i
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote