#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Weapon-X Stage 1 no tune

Has anybody installed and have a before and after with the Wrapon-X no tune intake.

I am trying to decide between the Weapon-X carbon intake, Rotofab, or K&N carbon one. Still not convinced any will make more power, but Id like more blower sound, and the look of the open air intake.

All three claim 20+ whp increases.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
+1 also interested.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm seriously considering the WX stage 1 CAI myself.

Member Intimidator posted some pics here.https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=518262&page=5

His pics are on post #70.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #4
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I didn't dyno anything because it was impossible to find shops around here. Plus I was debating on doing just bolt ons to keep the warranty...I also did alot of porting and added a ported TB at the same time.
Once I Visited Weapon-X, I knew they were going to be doing my build, dynoing, and tuning.
The open CAI does give you more SC sound...I went this route because it worked well with my other mods and stage 2 will look the same.
Attached Images

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
I’m not a fan of weapon x filter. Seem small and out of place. I own the Roto-Fab w/ Blue Dry Filter. Have seen the K&N in person & it is sexy!!! I noticed a performance improvement with the Roto-Fab. Even improved the MPG
Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I didn't dyno anything because it was impossible to find shops around here. Plus I was debating on doing just bolt ons to keep the warranty...I also did alot of porting and added a ported TB at the same time.
Once I Visited Weapon-X, I knew they were going to be doing my build, dynoing, and tuning.
The open CAI does give you more SC sound...I went this route because it worked well with my other mods and stage 2 will look the same.
Thanks for the replies. Is Weapon-X the only intake that uses the honeycomb design in the MAF tube. That was found in the OEM MAF sensors that Mitsubishi used in the past. It crates laminar flow across the Hotwire to be amore accurate read. I've not seen that in any others.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
I would also recommend the rotofab and stay clear of weapon X. Rotofab has been around for years and has a proven CAI system. I had a rotofab on my Gen 5 ZL1. I decided to try something new as I also liked the CF of the WX system, but returned it as it was damaged upon arrival (Since the box was perfect, I believe it was damaged when shipped). They made me take pictures and after several back and forth emails I returned it and got a refund(minus $10). I never even followed up on why I was shorted on the return since it was already so frustrating. Not a good first impression, I won't buy from them again.

Last edited by Lethal Z; 07-19-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
Thanks for the replies. Is Weapon-X the only intake that uses the honeycomb design in the MAF tube. That was found in the OEM MAF sensors that Mitsubishi used in the past. It crates laminar flow across the Hotwire to be amore accurate read. I've not seen that in any others.
I'm pretty sure that all CAI's that don't require a tune have the honeycomb to keep the MAF's from freaking out.
There are enough posts on here from reliable sources that unless you are tuning, a CAI is pretty much for sound and looks, and if lucky you may pick up a couple ponies. So chose the intake that fits the way you want your engine bay to look.
I did prepare for the next stage of the build by opening up the driver side front grille area, so more air can feed into the front opening of the Weapon-X box. Alot of rubber and plastic can be cut away...no issues with water, as this is my DD.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
I'm pretty sure that all CAI's that don't require a tune have the honeycomb to keep the MAF's from freaking out.
There are enough posts on here from reliable sources that unless you are tuning, a CAI is pretty much for sound and looks, and if lucky you may pick up a couple ponies. So chose the intake that fits the way you want your engine bay to look.
I did prepare for the next stage of the build by opening up the driver side front grille area, so more air can feed into the front opening of the Weapon-X box. Alot of rubber and plastic can be cut away...no issues with water, as this is my DD.
I've had several other brands including AFE on my SS. They never had honeycomb in MAF.

If the power claims are BS, then it's a shame all companies keep claiming the gains in power.

If you under report air flow, timing will increase and the air fuel will lean out at WOT, until the fuel trims go positive which will eventually add back more fuel in WOT operation, but timing will stay slightly advanced due to a little less load being calculated due to decreased lb/min conversion from the MAF under reporting.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #10
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Why i dont use anything but a stock filter. Those filters ingest dirt.
Attached Images