Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Velossatech big mouth ram air install

So I purchased one of these from vivid racing for my ZL1 a few weeks ago with the idea it might help in the 1/2 mile roll race event yesterday. I've used ram air type products before with good success.

I have no before and after to report, other then running 164+mph on a 93 degree day which initially I was expecting a few more mph, but once checking a few other folks decided I was actually doing pretty good, i.e.-

Several dodge hellcat charger and challengers showing 930-1000 whp running 160-167 and talking with them, they all had to definitely pedal their cars but felt they were running good. A BMW m4 that said he was making 700 whp and weighed 3650lbs said his was running as expected and running 162 mph, so I felt better.

I've got a 9.17 lower, kooks LT's with hi-flow cats into stock exhaust, rotofab, solar tb, e40, tune-643/678 on the dyno.

For those who may entertain installing one of these, here are a few of my observations-
Installation instructions are referenced via the internet. They jump from step 1 to step 8 with the assumption you figure out everything in between.

The metal plate over the top of the radiator which surrounds the hood latch has to be removed and it's a pita!!! Plan on removing the 2 bolts holding the latch (note the position prior so you can get it back in the same place so you don't spend 10 minutes readjusting as I did), and don't drop one of the metal radiator shroud screws into the abyss of the cai housing as I did, requiring removal of the whole setup to go chase it...

There is NO way to access the Allen headed screws from the front of the grill without removing the grill/front bumper which is a LOT of work. Screw that! I went to the hardware store and got slightly longer screws along with 1 minute epoxy and dropped them in with the idea it would solve the "no access" to the screw heads, which it did and I used double nuts rather then locking nuts so I didn't turn the screw in the semi fresh epoxy (after 2 weeks the product arrived the morning I was trying to leave which caused a 3 hour delay in getting gone).

I'd like to think the product helped. Getting it twisted down in front of the radiator is a little bit of a trick without removing the grill, but doable. Just seems those making the product could do what I did and have it come with screws installed and ready to rock.

Hope this saves others a few steps and the headache to install this product. Thanks!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I did mine from the top as well without removing the front bumper/grill.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I skippped the Velossatech Big Mouth and just removed the rain/snow blocker. I didn’t like that the Big Mouth sits in front of a portion of the heat exchanger and potentially reduces the amount of air flowing through it.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Pro tip. Go get yourself a set of Allen keys like these. Install with these and a 10 mm open ended wrench allowed me to install mine in 20 minutes going in through the top.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
dbs1

I thought I could access the Allen heads through the grill. Nope, they were above the open part.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I thought I could access the Allen heads through the grill. Nope, they were above the open part.
? How
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Pro tip. Go get yourself a set of Allen keys like these. Install with these and a 10 mm open ended wrench allowed me to install mine in 20 minutes going in through the top.
Yes! I have a LOT of tools, and I have a nice set of T-handle ball heads I used.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
dbs1

Jaxcam, danged if you ain't correct!

I had jacked my back up weeks ago putting race seats in the C5 Z06 I sold my son and after multiple in and outs, getting bent over has been a pain and apparently I didn't get down far enough to see that.

Add to that I was 4 hours behind schedule and with the "help" of a grandson who thought the telescoping magnet was a toy and every time I needed a tool he had it attached to said "toy" swinging the tool I was looking for on the outside of the garage.

Yeah, a good long set of Allen headed tools would solve it. Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Jaxcam, danged if you ain't correct!

I had jacked my back up weeks ago putting race seats in the C5 Z06 I sold my son and after multiple in and outs, getting bent over has been a pain and apparently I didn't get down far enough to see that.

Add to that I was 4 hours behind schedule and with the "help" of a grandson who thought the telescoping magnet was a toy and every time I needed a tool he had it attached to said "toy" swinging the tool I was looking for on the outside of the garage.

Yeah, a good long set of Allen headed tools would solve it. Thanks guys!
Yea I totally feel ya there. Just not the same working on cars the older I get. The right tool for the job makes it possible. Id rather go buy more tools than work harder than I need to lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #10
dbs1

For sure.

As a general contractor and nearing the end of my career, I'm trying not to buy any more construction tools that folks borrow never to be seen again.

Me thinks this ZL1 is my last hotrod and I'm not sure I really need any more tools to put anymore hp to it. I'm guessing if I was stupid enough to actually put a drag pack on it and get it to dead hook, I'd be getting booted off the track for breaking into the 9's and/or breaking something and I'd prefer to just not do that with this car. I've donated enough to shops over the years.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with you dbs about my ZL1 being the last musclecar/sportscar that I plan to buy and not mod. I have spent a lot of money on modding my Camaros over the years and didn’t get the money back when I got rid of them. I plan to retire from a major corporation in 2 years(41 years) and possibly work a part time job to be able to live somewhat comfortable. My ZL1 has enough hp for me but I understand why people want to get more hp out of theirs! Been there and done that.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I agree with you dbs about my ZL1 being the last musclecar/sportscar that I plan to buy and not mod. I have spent a lot of money on modding my Camaros over the years and didn’t get the money back when I got rid of them. I plan to retire from a major corporation in 2 years(41 years) and possibly work a part time job to be able to live somewhat comfortable. My ZL1 has enough hp for me but I understand why people want to get more hp out of theirs! Been there and done that.
I right there with you. I spent a lot off money modding my 5th gen ZL1. It never drove as well as stock and I certainly didn’t recoup any of the money I invested when I traded it in.

A green filter and removing the snow/rain blocker have been the only “performance”mods to my car. And you could argue they don’t provide much in the way of performance. All other mods have been cosmetic, which for me, have been a whole lot more satisfying.