Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
error3rror

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
battery vent tube

the battery vent tube sorta broke on the battery,is it a good idea to super glue it to the hole or buy a new battery vent tube and replace it or get a new battery?

PS : there might be the broken pieces of the vent tube inside the hole of the battery.
error3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by error3rror View Post
the battery vent tube sorta broke on the battery,is it a good idea to super glue it to the hole or buy a new battery vent tube and replace it or get a new battery?

PS : there might be the broken pieces of the vent tube inside the hole of the battery.

Pardon the way I'm saying this. The battery has a male end the tube has a female end. No way there should be any of the tube in the battery vent out let.
Just buy a new clear vent tube at your Auto parts dealer. Measure how much you need they will cut it for you. They probably sell it by the foot. Just buy 2 ft. of it and cut the extra off.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
error3rror

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Pardon the way I'm saying this. The battery has a male end the tube has a female end. No way there should be any of the tube in the battery vent out let.
Just buy a new clear vent tube at your Auto parts dealer. Measure how much you need they will cut it for you. They probably sell it by the foot. Just buy 2 ft. of it and cut the extra off.
isn't it the other way around,battery has a female end and tube a male end?

my battery doesn't seem to take charge to start my vehicle,by replacing the tube,you think the battery will work normally?

when i jumpstart my vehicle it starts hella fast.
error3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The purpose of the tube is to vent hydrogen out of the trunk, so it won't accumulate and explode.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by error3rror View Post
isn't it the other way around,battery has a female end and tube a male end?

my battery doesn't seem to take charge to start my vehicle,by replacing the tube,you think the battery will work normally?

when i jumpstart my vehicle it starts hella fast.
Forget about the tube for a second. If your battery does not take a charge then you need to replace the battery. End of story.
If you are driving an 2011 and still have the original battery, its time to replace it !
You will get some that disagree I know, but I find most of these batteries are toast in 4-6 years depending on the climate and use.
The tube will have nothing to do with that whatsoever.

Now as for the tube. it sounds like you broke the black plastic piece off the battery and its stuck in the end of the tube. if so, just make a fresh cut on the tube so you can plug it into the new battery when you get it.No biggie
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I just replaced my battery and it has a female connection. A double male 90 degree adapter plugs into the clear tubing and battery. My battery was oem and 7.5 yrs. old. I can't tell any difference between old and new. Just didn't want it to fail out on the road.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
replace the freakin battery and get the AGM style...5 years on a batt is pushing it. and clean up all the grounds while you are in there.....good luck.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
OP - the right angle black plastic fitting and clear vent tube made by AC/Delco is an available replacement part if yours broke.
A new battery WILL NOT come with a new vent tube assembly.
The right angle fitting plugs in to the battery case. If your battery is fairly new (you can have it tested free), it should be easy to pull out the broken piece from the case, just make sure you get it all out.
You could take a small wood screw in close diameter to the inside diameter of the right angle fitting and lightly turn it in and see if the broken piece can then be pulled out of the case. I would not glue the fitting, not worth taking a chance of it coming apart when driving and getting hydrogen in the trunk.
Past weekend I put a new battery in my 2014 and was lucky, able to reuse the existing vent tube assembly.
One more thing to take notice of if you ever replace the battery - sometimes there are two vent holes on the replacement battery - one on each end, the unused vent hole in that case must be plugged, the new battery has a plug for that case.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 01-02-2018 at 05:46 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote