Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
crossroaddemons

Drives: 1971 Chevy Camaro
Tail light retaining nuts

Just a few tips on installing blacked out lamps. Once you remove the trim pieces there are 5 total fasteners holding the lamp assembly. 2 of them are nearer to the side of the lamp closest to the center of the car as well as 1 near the center. However there are 2 more retaining studs at the outer most portion of the lamp near the Quarter panel sheet metal. These appear to have been push in fasteners and attempting to pull the lamp out could break the clips. I have included pictures so you can see what they look like. The solution is relatively simple. Slowly back out both studs with a torx socket until you can pull the lamp assembly out. In essence the studs are backed out of the lamp housing. Keep in mind they are pushing the lamp away from the body so turn them both equally so the distance is about the same. Don't try to back out one all the way all at once. You could damage the housing. By the way if anyone wants to see the battery it's behind the right rear wheel.
Attached Images

crossroaddemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
beautiful !
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
All I had to do was tug and mine slid right out of those fasteners. You should not have to use a torx bit on them.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That is a metal stud, there part of the tail light, all we do is remove the 3 nuts and then from the space behind the tail lights use a small plastic pry bar, insert it between the body and the stud, it will release, don't forget to hold the taillight as it will pop out.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Just did this mod 2 days ago. All I had to do was remove the 3 8mm nuts and simply give the light a firm tug and they were out. This is an unnecessary step.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
crossroaddemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Just did this mod 2 days ago. All I had to do was remove the 3 8mm nuts and simply give the light a firm tug and they were out. This is an unnecessary step.
I'm all about unnecessary! Ha ha. All I'm saying is rather than tugging on it which some folks may prefer not to do this is an alternative. On a side note there was a decal on the tail light which corresponded to my build date. If this was like beer it apparently has a born on freshness date of 4/19/17 at 7:48 PM.

They were no more than a 30 minute install and look great on most color cars. I especially like the way all the black accents and stripes look with these on. Awesome addition!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
crossroaddemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
All I had to do was tug and mine slid right out of those fasteners. You should not have to use a torx bit on them.
For sure. I'm just always worried about pulling on stuff and having it break. They will probably hold up just fine. It's like those Xmas tree fasteners. There is always one that is in for life. I know Lethal didn't remove more than just the one black plastic fasteners when he did his but after watching it I opted to remove about 4 of them on each side so I didn't have to bend the panel gaining access. Carry on!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroaddemons View Post
I'm all about unnecessary! Ha ha. All I'm saying is rather than tugging on it which some folks may prefer not to do this is an alternative. On a side note there was a decal on the tail light which corresponded to my build date. If this was like beer it apparently has a born on freshness date of 4/19/17 at 7:48 PM.

They were no more than a 30 minute install and look great on most color cars. I especially like the way all the black accents and stripes look with these on. Awesome addition!
I gotcha. I was a little uneasy about pulling them out but it was relatively little force needed. These definitely should be on the ZL1 from the factory.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote