Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
"OC"

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
NEW Cold Air Inductions CAI

After the longest two days of my life, I received my CAI, Washer Bottle and Scoop from Apex! Since I didn't get home until after dark I was only able to install the Intake itself, do the the remaining two this weekend. Big thanks to Chase at Apex for all his help!

Before & After
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
e7lek

Drives: Camaro SS
Does the CAI require you to replace where the washer bottle is located? Is it hard to do? was planning on getting one soon. Also can you do a write up on how the car feels now vs the stock filter? would love to read your opinion!
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OC" View Post
After the longest two days of my life, I received my CAI, Washer Bottle and Scoop from Apex! Since I didn't get home until after dark I was only able to install the Intake itself, do the the remaining two this weekend. Big thanks to Chase at Apex for all his help!

Before & After
Thank you for your order. That works out pretty well actually. You get to see the difference the intake alone makes and then the addition of the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7lek View Post
Does the CAI require you to replace where the washer bottle is located? Is it hard to do? was planning on getting one soon. Also can you do a write up on how the car feels now vs the stock filter? would love to read your opinion!
No, the stock washer tank stays in place unless you decide to also add the scoop. The install is very easy. It only takes about 30 minutes.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
"OC"

The container for the intake envelops the stock washer bottle, it's actually hiding under the Cold Air Inductions logo in the picture.

I'm not the greatest at creating threads or explaining things but I'll try.

Overall, installation is very easy, mainly due to the installation procedures provided by Apex (w/pictures). I'm a military intelligence instructor and work with pilots, so pictures ALWAYS help...SQUIRREL!!!! My suggestion before you start installation is to read through the instructions and get all the tools that are required, that way you're not continually jumping back and forth between your car and tool chest. It took me about 5 minutes to take the old CAI off and about 25 more to get the new one installed (mainly because I kept second guessing myself).
In regards to how the car feels? I definitely noticed a smoother/faster throttle response when WOT, along with a deeper growl from my exhaust...along with the cool "WOOSH" from sucking in clean air. I haven't had the chance to put in the scoop yet because I want to make sure I do it right the first time and not have to re-attack.
Only two things I would recommend for APEX:
1) Clearer/larger pictures in the installation paperwork...kept having to put it up to a light and figure out what area the arrow was pointing at.
2) Step #1 says to disconnect negative cable from battery...it may be of help to someone like me to inform them that the battery is located in the trunk!!!! I kept laughing at myself for being an idiot and not knowing where it was, I just assumed that it was under the hood (duh). I had flashlights everywhere in the engine trying to find it for about 10 minutes until I just had the grand idea of "googling" it to which I found out it's located in the trunk under the flooring!!!

But overall it's great and am really glad I made the purchase! Now I can't wait to install the scoop to see how much more it improves.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
The container for the intake envelops the stock washer bottle, it's actually hiding under the Cold Air Inductions logo in the picture.

I'm not the greatest at creating threads or explaining things but I'll try.

Overall, installation is very easy, mainly due to the installation procedures provided by Apex (w/pictures). I'm a military intelligence instructor and work with pilots, so pictures ALWAYS help...SQUIRREL!!!! My suggestion before you start installation is to read through the instructions and get all the tools that are required, that way you're not continually jumping back and forth between your car and tool chest. It took me about 5 minutes to take the old CAI off and about 25 more to get the new one installed (mainly because I kept second guessing myself).
In regards to how the car feels? I definitely noticed a smoother/faster throttle response when WOT, along with a deeper growl from my exhaust...along with the cool "WOOSH" from sucking in clean air. I haven't had the chance to put in the scoop yet because I want to make sure I do it right the first time and not have to re-attack.
Only two things I would recommend for APEX:
1) Clearer/larger pictures in the installation paperwork...kept having to put it up to a light and figure out what area the arrow was pointing at.
2) Step #1 says to disconnect negative cable from battery...it may be of help to someone like me to inform them that the battery is located in the trunk!!!! I kept laughing at myself for being an idiot and not knowing where it was, I just assumed that it was under the hood (duh). I had flashlights everywhere in the engine trying to find it for about 10 minutes until I just had the grand idea of "googling" it to which I found out it's located in the trunk under the flooring!!!

But overall it's great and am really glad I made the purchase! Now I can't wait to install the scoop to see how much more it improves.
Great feedback. I think we are about to switch to web based instructions so that will be a perfect opportunity to implement those changes. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Me Too!

After reading all the great information and reviews on this forum, I too have ordered a CAI cold air kit. It will arrive in a few days and I can't wait to put it on. The first of several planned performance upgrades!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
After reading all the great information and reviews on this forum, I too have ordered a CAI cold air kit. It will arrive in a few days and I can't wait to put it on. The first of several planned performance upgrades!
If it came from us, thank you for your order. If not, congrats nonetheless.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! The CAI looks great in your engine bay!!

Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
e7lek

Drives: Camaro SS
Thanks for the reply! Enjoy your new filter. will be ordering mine very soon, possibly with a scoop too!
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
"OC"

Installed the scoop this weekend along with washer bottle and can really feel the difference between just the CAI vs CAI with scoop.

Side note, I'm pretty sure that the previous owner had a scoop their originally and took it out before he sold it. I got under the car to dremel the piece out and noticed that the piece was already gone and the scoop fit perfectly! Great modification!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Installed the scoop this weekend along with washer bottle and can really feel the difference between just the CAI vs CAI with scoop.

Side note, I'm pretty sure that the previous owner had a scoop their originally and took it out before he sold it. I got under the car to dremel the piece out and noticed that the piece was already gone and the scoop fit perfectly! Great modification!
Glad to hear that you are happy!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Quote:

Very glad to hear that. That was nice of the previous owner to save you some work.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Very glad to hear that. That was nice of the previous owner to save you some work.
That's what I was thinking, I never get that lucky lol.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
That's what I was thinking, I never get that lucky lol.
Never. Usually just inherit their problems.