Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
2SSLOWW

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
AFM Tune Delete?

So I just wanted to get some thoughts and everyone's input on the AFM Delete.
The tuner I'm going with said he can turn off the AFM. Besides better gas mileage is there any difference? I've heard some pros and cons to AFM such as it burning oil/better gas mileage. However I have an A8 w/ LT headers and a Borla Atak and I hate the noise it makes when switching back from v4 to v8 mode. I know it sounds dumb and I should've gotten an M6 but I jumped the gun so I'm working with what I have.

Just wondering if anyone's done it and if it could potentially have any negative side effects? I don't really care about gas mileage unless it makes a huge difference but I can't imagine it would be too much of a difference.

If it doesn't really affect the car I'm just going to turn it off.
2SSLOWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Good questions! I’m curious about this too. I know it can be turned off via the tune, and the valves deleted when buying an aftermarket exhaust. But what about the engines internal components that are specific to the AFM/DOD system? I believe the lifters and possibly the intake valley pan/plate are AFM specific, maybe there’s other components too? I know I’ve seen AFM delete kits from places like BTR, but is it necessary to delete those parts, or can they just stay as-is? Pros/Cons?
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I had it done and honestly I love it. If there was any downside to it, it would be that you lose some MPG on your gas mileage. But lets be honest here, you didn't buy a V8 sports car to get good gas mileage!

If you're also having the shudder issue with the trans, disabling the AFM also seems to cure that too (it did for me anyway). I have not noticed any change in oil consumption. It always still shows full before I drain the oil.

The only parts I replace were my exhaust. I did a full kooks system from headers all the way back to the quad tips. Everything in the engine was left stock. You do have to leave the AFM valve actuator motors plugged in under the car and zip tied up out of the way or you will get a CEL.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
You do have to leave the AFM valve actuator motors plugged in under the car and zip tied up out of the way or you will get a CEL.
I can’t remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but I believe they do make some sort of plug-in electronic gizmo that will allow you to remove those valves completely.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The only way you lose mileage by turning off AFM is if you routinely drive on a flat road where the engine stays in V4 mode and it's about 1mpg tops. Turning AFM off is one of the best things you can do for the A8. And no you do not need to delete the AFM lifters and all that. The M6 LT1 is the exact same engine with the same AFM hardware in the engine... AFM is simply not activated in tune nor does it have the AFM valves in the exhaust.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Range is the company that makes an OBD port device that disables AFM. Other forum members have given the device mixed reviews.

As KingLT1 pointed out the M6 cars have AFM disabled by default with no known issues.

Another option might be to copy what Trifecta does with some of their tunes where they leave AFM enabled in Tour mode and disable it in Sport and Track mode. Theoretically the best of both worlds?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
You do have to leave the AFM valve actuator motors plugged in under the car and zip tied up out of the way or you will get a CEL.
Your tuner can now address the DTC's from removing the AFM valves in the tuning. It will cost 1 extra credit (50.00 plus his tuning fee) I have done this personally and removed my AFM modules and no CEL it works great.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Your tuner can now address the DTC's from removing the AFM valves in the tuning. It will cost 1 extra credit (50.00 plus his tuning fee) I have done this personally and removed my AFM modules and no CEL it works great.
I concur. Had mine deleted via tuning. No AFM valves left plugged in and no CELs. Delete had to be done through the FPCM if I remember and that was the extra $50 credit.

By the way, it does absolutely nothing to cure the shudder. That has to be addressed in the TCM and the slip tables. Waiting for the tuner to upgrade to HP 3.7 to be able to zero out those tables.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
KonigWolf

Drives: 2016 2SS A8
I have AFM disabled, and when I do a full exhaust I'm gonna go in an disable the DTC codes in the FPCM an be done with that junk.

I have a range unit and a OBD2 cable with the on/off switch I'd sell if anyone is wanting to disable the AFM but not wanting to void their warranty with a tune. I used it for a few weeks until after I got the dealership to flush my trans, then I went in an removed all the TCC slip and disabled the AFM.

DIY Hpt Tune - DR - 1.75-60' - 7.47@95 - 11.56@120 with +2676DA
KonigWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
2SSLOWW

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Thanks for all the input guys, I will definitely be deleting AFM when I get it tuned!
2SSLOWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
f.d

Drives: camaro
So please question:

If i just tune AFM off, do i have to change the lifters inside the engine?

Only tune will work? Without changing lifters?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by f.d; 05-24-2020 at 12:28 PM.
f.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
A true AFM delete is replacing the lifters and plugging the holes that are designed to channel the oil in a certain direction because of AFM and getting rid of the valves in the exhaust along with a HP tune. Did this to my 2016 Camaro SS when I installed a cam, I wonder if there are any issues by just turning it off on HP Tuners and not address the internal parts in the engine?
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 98 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.d View Post
So please question:

If i just tune AFM off, do i have to change the liters inside the engine?

Only tune will work? Without changing lifters?

Thanks a lot
No...you only have to change lifters and install a DOD delete kit if you install a Non DOD/AFM Cam. If you read my last post the M6 LT1 cars have all the same AFM/DOD hardware in the engines but AFM is not activated in the tune from the factory. They did this to save cost compared to the 5th gen Camaro's that had 2 different V8 engines...The L99 for A6 cars that had DOD/AFM, and the LS3 for M6 cars that did not have AFM/DOD hardware.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The only way you lose mileage by turning off AFM is if you routinely drive on a flat road where the engine stays in V4 mode and it's about 1mpg tops. Turning AFM off is one of the best things you can do for the A8. And no you do not need to delete the AFM lifters and all that. The M6 LT1 is the exact same engine with the same AFM hardware in the engine... AFM is simply not activated in tune nor does it have the AFM valves in the exhaust.
I had to go back and turn mine back on because I lost 5mpg with it off. I live in nv and have to travel 250ish miles to get to any city. I know I'm very much in the minority but until it fails I'm gonna run it. I do have it set to not kick on until 60+mph so it's not like the factory tune constantly kicking in and out.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote