Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
17MaroSS

Drives: 17 2SS 6sp
Oil leak help

My 17 ss 6sp has been in the garage for 2 months plugged in to charger and I've been starting it up and leaving it, not driving it, for 10 mins once a week. Pulled it out a few days ago as it was a decent day and found a couple ounces of oil on the ground under the oil pan area. I didn't think to take a picture before I cleaned it up, but this pic is one I took this AM. I slid the boxes under yesterday evening after going for a spirited drive for 20 mins ( i know i know).

Anyone experience this? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

17MaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
There have been reports of oil leaks around the engine oil cooler due to loose bolts. And of course - always check the oil filter especially if it was changed anytime soon before you stopped driving it for the season. Also it is not a wise practice to start a car once a week and then let it idle for 10 minutes. That will lead to contaminated oil from condensation and gasoline wash down because at idle the engine runs rich. It never really gets hot enough at idle to burn off the condensation. The engine needs a load once running. If you can't drive the car for 20 -30 minutes then don't start it.

Good luck with finding the oil leak. That's a lot of oil for overnight. That is bad and good. Bad that it leaked that much but good in that it should make finding the leaking area easier.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
17MaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
There have been reports of oil leaks around the engine oil cooler due to loose bolts. And of course - always check the oil filter especially if it was changed anytime soon before you stopped driving it for the season. Also it is not a wise practice to start a car once a week and then let it idle for 10 minutes. That will lead to contaminated oil from condensation and gasoline wash down because at idle the engine runs rich. It never really gets hot enough at idle to burn off the condensation. The engine needs a load once running. If you can't drive the car for 20 -30 minutes then don't start it.

Good luck with finding the oil leak. That's a lot of oil for overnight. That is bad and good. Bad that it leaked that much but good in that it should make finding the leaking area easier.
Thank you, great help! I should be able to get it on the lift next week and will have a close look especially at the things you mentioned.

Also - Always seems to be a controversial thing - whether to start car or not. The way you explain it makes perfect sense though
Old 01-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17MaroSS View Post
Thank you, great help! I should be able to get it on the lift next week and will have a close look especially at the things you mentioned.

Also - Always seems to be a controversial thing - whether to start car or not. The way you explain it makes perfect sense though
Also once its up on the lift - check the oil pan bolts as I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that someone found some loose ones.

Yeah - sorry if I came off as being a little preachy/judgemental on the starting and idling an engine thing. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the potential to wash down and contaminate the oil.

Good luck with finding the oil leak and I hope its just a minor problem. Post back what you find as I and I'm sure others are curious and can learn from your experience.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-19-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
17MaroSS

Quote:
Also once its up on the lift - check the oil pan bolts as I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that someone found some loose ones.

Yeah - sorry if I came off as being a little preachy/judgemental on the starting and idling an engine thing. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the potential to wash down and contaminate the oil.

Good luck with finding the oil leak and I hope its just a minor problem. Post back what you find as I and I'm sure others are curious and can learn from your experience.
Will do!

You didn't come off as anything - all good.

Here's a video from a cold start this morning. You can see how much oil pours out right at start up! (Sorry it Was hard to position phone camera)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=EGteoRjyqx8&feature=share
Old 01-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17MaroSS View Post
Will do!

You didn't come off as anything - all good.

Here's a video from a cold start this morning. You can see how much oil pours out right at start up! (Sorry it Was hard to position phone camera)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=EGteoRjyqx8&feature=share
Wow! That's a lot of oil. This is no small leak. I think that is in the area of the oil filter. I'd start there especially since the leak seems to happen as oil pressure builds at start up.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
17MaroSS

Quote:
Wow! That's a lot of oil. This is no small leak. I think that is in the area of the oil filter. I'd start there especially since the leak seems to happen as oil pressure builds at start up.
Yea it's a lot! Couldn't quite see where it's coming from but yes looks like it could well be oil filter. I knew i shouldn't have let anyone borrow my jack and wheel ramps!!! Arrr anyway i should be able to get it on lift tomorrow...
Old 01-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I had a minor leak that would put a couple of spots under the car and I deduced it was from the oil filter that I may have over tightened. The aluminum cross bar under there was covered in a grimy dirty oily film. But nothing like what you've got there.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #9
17MaroSS

Ok so the leak was coming from the oil cooler hose. Replaced o ring, problem solved. Thanks to those who helped!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #10
SSDan

I’m glad it was a simple fix. It makes one wonder just how all of a sudden something like that goes bad. Thanks for posting back the solution.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
WhiteMale

Nice...did you have to drain and refill in order to do that or what it as simple as unscrewing it and replacing the ORing?
Old 01-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #12
17MaroSS

Quote:
I’m glad it was a simple fix. It makes one wonder just how all of a sudden something like that goes bad. Thanks for posting back the solution.
Well the saga continues...

... had it up on the lift again today and it looks like the rear main seal and front main seal bolts are a little wet. Really hope I don't have to rip everything apart to replace them. I'll be watching them carefully until the next oil change. The oil cooler lines and bolts are bone dry though so that's good

Question: do the bolts for the subframe brace thing need to be torqued down? We weren't sure so just tightened snug.

Last edited by 17MaroSS; 01-21-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
17MaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Nice...did you have to drain and refill in order to do that or what it as simple as unscrewing it and replacing the ORing?
Unfortunately, had to drain and replace. Wasn't too upset about that as I was happy to get the upgraded ESP 0W 40 up in there which I learned about a few weeks ago

I will say this though, these cars have a crazy amount of covers and bolts under there!!!! Spent more time taking them off and putting them back on than actually fixing the problem haha
Old 01-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
WhiteMale

Ugh...leaks are hard to track down. With mine I'll look under the car and see if my suspicion of a too tight oil filter was the issue.