Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Gas Yardage in different driving modes

Hey guys just got a quick question for you. I'm curious if I change driving modes, does it affect my gas mileage, or more correctly my gas yardage. Assuming of course that I drive the same in the different modes and that I have everything set to auto mode select. Although, I'm assuming that the different modes for the engine sound management, the steering and suspension should not change my gas yardage at all, but I'm not sure about the different transmission modes.

Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
for the SS, the driving mode may impact how aggressive the car gets with the transmission, which can impact mileage. However, except for track mode, the other modes should be able to be driven the same way and you'll get the same mileage.

With the V6 and V4, the driving mode only really impacts the steering stiffness... so if you drove the same way you should get the same mileage. Performance shift mode only activates when you're doing things that would lend itself to needing it. So you wouldn't be caring about mileage at that point anyway.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
for the SS, the driving mode may impact how aggressive the car gets with the transmission, which can impact mileage.
As cellsafe points out, this can impact fuel economy. But it really only has an impact when you are accelerating, by delaying upshifts. So, if you are doing a lot of stop-and-go driving, you can probably see small fuel economy differences between modes.
Since you say, "assuming I drive the same," I think the difference would be negligible.
The transmission has normal, sport, and track modes.
The throttle has weather, normal, and track.
The combination of aggressive driving and track modes for the throttle and tranny would take a toll on your mpg for sure.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Use the black key not the red key, silly!

+1 ctrlz

For a given throttle input:
  • Track mode = higher shift points = probably the worst mileage.
  • Sport mode = non-linear throttle = worse mileage than tour for the same pedal motion.
  • Tour = both throttle & trans are better for mileage.
  • Snow/ice = best (limited torque/throttle).

However if you change your throttle inputs to compensate for butt-dyno from the above ... then all bets are off!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Interesting. I didn't realize that there was a throttle difference between the different modes. I thought it was just an automatic transmission shifting thing.

Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Yanniz

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
for the SS, the driving mode may impact how aggressive the car gets with the transmission, which can impact mileage. However, except for track mode, the other modes should be able to be driven the same way and you'll get the same mileage.

With the V6 and V4, the driving mode only really impacts the steering stiffness... so if you drove the same way you should get the same mileage. Performance shift mode only activates when you're doing things that would lend itself to needing it. So you wouldn't be caring about mileage at that point anyway.
Don’t think that’s correct. My V6 shifts higher and holds hearts longer in Sport vs Touring mode.

Difference in mileage is very minimal though
Yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
cellsafemode

sport and touring as far as the trans goes for the V6, i'm almost 100% positive that the trans is not impacted and it's all in your head or subconscious driving behavior changes.

Then again, I've been running non-stock ecu and tcm tune for the past 2+ years so maybe someone (the 1 or 2 people) who have hptuners for the lgx can let us know what tables look like. I highly doubt it is different. Only performance shift mode behaves any different with shift points.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
GingaNinja

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS; 6M, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1 ctrlz

For a given throttle input:
  • Track mode = higher shift points = probably the worst mileage.
  • Sport mode = non-linear throttle = worse mileage than tour for the same pedal motion.
  • Tour = both throttle & trans are better for mileage.
  • Snow/ice = best (limited torque/throttle).

However if you change your throttle inputs to compensate for butt-dyno from the above ... then all bets are off!

The throttle stuff is incorrect.

There are 3 different throttle maps. Tour & Sport Modes share a throttle map.

1) Snow/Ice Mode
2) Tour & Sport Modes
3) Track Mode

Re the OP's question; In my opinion, how much stop-and-go there is, and what you do with your right foot will make the biggest difference in millage
GingaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Yanniz

Quote:
sport and touring as far as the trans goes for the V6, i'm almost 100% positive that the trans is not impacted and it's all in your head or subconscious driving behavior changes.

Then again, I've been running non-stock ecu and tcm tune for the past 2+ years so maybe someone (the 1 or 2 people) who have hptuners for the lgx can let us know what tables look like. I highly doubt it is different. Only performance shift mode behaves any different with shift points.
Interesting. What would be impacted then if not the transmission?

The steering can be set to either mode all the time (for example set steering to “sport” always independent of what “drive” mode you select w/the selector Switch) through the Main Menu.

Who knows? I do notice though in Tour shifts happen quickly, vs in Sport gears are held longer/shifts @ higher rpms.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #10
cellsafemode

I'd argue that the only thing documented is that steering stiffness, which yes can be changed independently.

Everything else is guessing, and most everyone who does says the differences are almost impossible to feel. Convenient. Only people who will know for sure are those who are looking at the hptuners tables or if the guys at trifecta want to chime in.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I don't think anyone is going to be happy for too long driving an SS using the Snow/Ice throttle map. While I like it for snow and ice, there is no point owning an SS and using this on a regular basis to save a few pennies. It's basically "granny mode."
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
GingaNinja

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS; 6M, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I'd argue that the only thing documented is that steering stiffness, which yes can be changed independently.

Everything else is guessing, and most everyone who does says the differences are almost impossible to feel. Convenient. Only people who will know for sure are those who are looking at the hptuners tables or if the guys at trifecta want to chime in.

None of this is guess-work. This is all explained in your owners manual. For my 2017, on page 239, there's a chart basically showing it all. The power never changes, regardless of what mode you have it in (this includes Teen Mode and Valet Mode).
GingaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Is it too late for the smart a@@ crack about getting 35,000 yards per gallon?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #14
Yanniz

Quote:

You are absolutely wrong, shift points are higher/Gears are held longer. Been in muscle cars forever and drag raced for a few years, I can definitely tell you it is not “impossible to feel!” 👍