Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
How does the car do in the heat?
The heat is pretty rough on it, honestly. The car was way down on power all day and the engine overheated a little in the last session. It happens when you live in Texas.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
RSFR

Posted a new vid in the OP.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #17
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
That's adorable, but no one said anything about drag racing...turn off traction fully to really get the full potential of the car, your ability and last but not least the limit of the aero. Traction off is how you learn to really drive at the limit, you're limit...then build from there.
Sorry, I assumed you knew what you were talking about or owned one. There is no such thing as all off and a lot more going on with PTM modes than just traction control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
The heat is pretty rough on it, honestly. The car was way down on power all day and the engine overheated a little in the last session. It happens when you live in Texas.
Surprised to hear you say that. I ran a couple days before you and temps were good all afternoon. I have heard the A10 will overheat and you were also hitting higher speeds on CotA than I was.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #18
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Sorry, I assumed you knew what you were talking about or owned one. There is no such thing as all off and a lot more going on with PTM modes than just traction control.

Surprised to hear you say that. I ran a couple days before you and temps were good all afternoon. I have heard the A10 will overheat and you were also hitting higher speeds on CotA than I was.
My A10 has never overheated on COTA and I'd say I've pushed the car pretty dang hard in the heat now. I have taken some measures to keep the cats from baking the cooling lines by shielding them however. My transmission temps have never gone over 225 on track.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
CPB

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Nice video and lap. Especially as you had traffic the entire lap. Will be at COTA next month. Looking forward to it.
CPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
My A10 has never overheated on COTA and I'd say I've pushed the car pretty dang hard in the heat now. I have taken some measures to keep the cats from baking the cooling lines by shielding them however. My transmission temps have never gone over 225 on track.
I never overheated anything on my A10 or M6 Z. I did see it happen on the A10 at NCM a couple years ago with an instructor driver who was extremely good so I do know it takes a lot to get there. There may have been some updates since then too. Bottom line is this car is pretty damn good in those regards. One reason why I'm reluctant to mod it.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Posted a new vid in the OP.
That new diffuser seems to be working out well!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #22
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Is Race mode one with all TC off, but PTM at it's max setting, with the basically zero stability control intervention and only e-diff effects to put down max power?

Or can you still have it in Race mode, with some TC on? I should know, or can read manual to answer, but I find the ZL1 combination of stability/traction/e-diff settings to be the most confusing I've ever seen in a car.
Hope this will help ya. Just read the original post on page 1 incl extra info from GM engineer. Cheers!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
sujohn

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Nice work! Good talking to both of yall. I had a blast in my new ZLE and think I got a good feel for it.
sujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #24
RSFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
It takes a lot to get it there, but it will get there. I got a warning message on the dash that said to upshift immediately, reduced power, engine protection on. Cooled it down for half a lap and it went away, but I decided to call it for the weekend (was near the end of the last session of the weekend anyways).

From what I over heard, it seems the C7 Z06 in the garage next to us was overheating constantly. Was asking if anyone had the LG coolers on their LT4s.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
It takes a lot to get it there, but it will get there. I got a warning message on the dash that said to upshift immediately, reduced power, engine protection on. Cooled it down for half a lap and it went away, but I decided to call it for the weekend (was near the end of the last session of the weekend anyways).

From what I over heard, it seems the C7 Z06 in the garage next to us was overheating constantly. Was asking if anyone had the LG coolers on their LT4s.
This helps validate my decision to go M6, but A10 ZLE didnt exist when I got mine. I know the A10 ZLE has enhanced trans cooling, but I bet they'll overheat at twisty tracks (e.g. Streets of Willow) on 95+ degree days in the hands of a very fast driver.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #26
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Hope this will help ya. Just read the original post on page 1 incl extra info from GM engineer. Cheers!

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
Thanks!
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
esm

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

What oil did you have in the car? I know Viper engine temps are reduced on track when using 15w - 50.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #28
RSFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
What oil did you have in the car? I know Viper engine temps are reduced on track when using 15w - 50.
Mobil 1 15W30. I might try the 50 next time and see if that helps.