Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 AM   #1
Mitt11

Drives: 2019 2SS
First time at the track

Hey all, I'm super excited to be attending a racing event at my local road course. This will however be my first time having a car at any course. I'm looking forward to the experience but I'm also extremely nervous to have my valuable sports car in an environment that my standard insurance doesn't cover.

For a nervous rookie, any suggestions from the track vets?
3100 - 08/02/18 - TPW: 09/03/18
4300 - 08/28/18 - Built Early!
4200 - 09/06/18
4300 - 09/07/18
4200 - 09/11/18 - ETA in SLC - 09/16/18
4800 - 09/17/18
5000 - 09/19/18
6000 - 09/19/18 - In my garage
Mitt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt11 View Post
Hey all, I'm super excited to be attending a racing event at my local road course. This will however be my first time having a car at any course. I'm looking forward to the experience but I'm also extremely nervous to have my valuable sports car in an environment that my standard insurance doesn't cover.

Depending on the sanctioning organization, I'd highly recommend having an instructor/coach in the car with you. Listen to and absorb EVERYTHING he tells you.

If you're concerned about insurance, take out a track day policy which is available from numerous providers.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Have a look here track preparation and check the manual page 206 ff.
Attached Images

Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Financial advice: only drive on the track what you can afford to walk away from. That or buy track-day specific insurance, they're single event agreed value policies.

Carefully read the Performance Supplement that came with your car, it's full of good advice as well as what you need to do to maintain your warranty.
*You'll need to do a brake fluid flush with quality DOT4.
*Since you have a 2019 I believe your car came from the factory with 0W-40, which is acceptable for track use. Double check that though.
*Set your tire pressures when cold for the recommended cold pressures in the Performance Supplement

As for you personally:
*Buy a Snell SA2015 helmet that is comfortable for your head and as quality as you can afford.
*Get a good nights sleep the night before, don't show up to the drivers meeting hung-over.
*Bring nutritious foods and water. Garbage in, garbage out. Get the most out of your [usually expensive] entry fee and have your body and brain be in good operating condition.
*Check your ego at the gate; you're there to learn, have fun, and be safe. If you were already a Pro, you wouldn't be there, right? Also, chances are a well-driven Miata will be in your mirrors, point them by and learn from them!
*Heed the sage advice of the instructors! They may not be the best at communicating, but their wisdom is valuable. Ask questions, be engaged.

Have fun!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Financial advice: only drive on the track what you can afford to walk away from. That or buy track-day specific insurance, they're single event agreed value policies.

Carefully read the Performance Supplement that came with your car, it's full of good advice as well as what you need to do to maintain your warranty.
*You'll need to do a brake fluid flush with quality DOT4.
*Since you have a 2019 I believe your car came from the factory with 0W-40, which is acceptable for track use. Double check that though.
*Set your tire pressures when cold for the recommended cold pressures in the Performance Supplement

As for you personally:
*Buy a Snell SA2015 helmet that is comfortable for your head and as quality as you can afford.
*Get a good nights sleep the night before, don't show up to the drivers meeting hung-over.
*Bring nutritious foods and water. Garbage in, garbage out. Get the most out of your [usually expensive] entry fee and have your body and brain be in good operating condition.
*Check your ego at the gate; you're there to learn, have fun, and be safe. If you were already a Pro, you wouldn't be there, right? Also, chances are a well-driven Miata will be in your mirrors, point them by and learn from them!
*Heed the sage advice of the instructors! They may not be the best at communicating, but their wisdom is valuable. Ask questions, be engaged.

Have fun!
All of this!^
Plus be ready to become an addict.......
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
OP: Ryephile's advice is absolutely crucial. Also the one about having an instructor. If your event doesn't offer one - skip it and find one that does! BTW It is absolutely normal to be stressed before your first event, or going to a new track, etc. So dont sweat it.

Here are some additional thougts:

1. Set up your side mirrors properly to eliminate blind spots. Rubber necking on a race track is a bad idea and virtually impossible with a helmet on. Google has info on this. It works. Blind spots is a myth. Period. Full stop.
Test it before you go to the track. I also use it for every day driving.

2. Establishing a proper sitting position is important: when in a seat, your wrist should rests on top of a steering wheel with your arm fully extended and your shoulders firmly pressed in the seat. This usually requires bringing a seat fwd and its back up more than usual. This will ensure you have comfy access to the controls under high Gs. Your hands should be at 9 and 3 o'clock position on a steering wheel at all times except for shifting.

3. Expect a sensory and information overload the first few days - that's normal. I'd suggest 2 key things to pay attention to right away: vision and controls. Regarding the latter, it is important to be smooth with both brakes and throttle to maintain a well balanced car and prevent sudden weight transfers. When learning it helps to count "1 2 3" each time you apply or release the pedals. It is simply a reminder to be smooth.
Vision is complex, but it helps to remember one thing: whenever you apply brakes before a corner entry your focus should be on the apex. And it should stay there until you reach it. Simply said: brakes on? Eyes on apex!
This is crucial to gauge entry speed, position of the car, etc. Your peripheral vision should be on everything else: traffic, flaggers, etc.

4. Watch some in car vids on YouTube of the track you're going to. Preferably a pro driving. This will give you a basic idea of a flow. Try to memorize it the best you can.

5. During the event, after each session check your tire pressures. You may have to bleed some off to stay at max hot PSI as recommended in the manual. Dont forget to add air before you go home as PSI will drop when tires cool down. Each time you come back from a session, open up the hood. It will not only cool down the motor faster but also front brakes. At lunch, when the car has cooled down completely, borrow a torque wrench and check your lug nuts. Also oil level. Take a spare quart with ya.

6. If you have a chance, have a track alignment done per the manual. The car will handle better and the tires will wear properly Also change brake fluid to DOT4 (never DOT5!!!). Ensure you have at least 50% of brake pads left before the event and that you have bedded them in.

7. Take some paper towels and your fave chemistry to keep the windshield clean. Dont forget sun glasses. Light brown are good. Yellow are best.

8. Plan to arrive with a full tank, knowing where to get more fuel, possibly at lunch. Get there super early so you have plenty of time to figure our where to park, register, get event logistics, receive your package/directions/etc and get ready for your first session without rushing.

Have fun!!!

Last edited by TrackClub; 05-06-2019 at 01:07 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I was so nervous before the first track day, that I thought about not even going!
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt11 View Post

Try to relax. Both ahead of time and when you're sitting in the driver seat lined up to go out on the track.

Don't worry about how fast you're going; drive at speeds that you're comfortable at. Do less shifting rather than more. It's OK to be in higher gears than you'll be in after you've gained some experience.

Using the full width of the pavement may feel a little strange coming from street-driving experience only, where lane discipline tends to teach you to stay closer to the middle of the lane/out of the gutters.

On helmets, give some consideration to eyeport size and shape - helmets differ in these respects as well. If you're new to helmets or coming to full-face from open face, you may want a larger eyeport.

TrackClub's point about walking away from an event that's not providing an instructor is well made. Let's just say that an uninstructed first event might compare to jumping into deep water without knowing how well you can swim and leave it at that.

Norm
Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
It's already been stated, but any trackday organization worth running with will start you in the 'classroom', and you'll be with an instructor for at least a few sessions on track.

Track insurance is a must have if you aren't able to walk away from the car. I've seen two cars totalled at track events in the last year ('Vette and Boxster), both by new drivers. It's not cheap, but it's absolutely worth it.

In order to avoid the above, remember a track day is not a race, and you have nothing to prove. In fact, you'll likely find out you're not all that fast at first. And with that in mind, something that hasn't been mentioned yet: give point bys! There will be folks in much 'slower' cars that are faster than you. If they caught you, they're faster... be polite and let them by.

Most of all, have fun!
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Anyone have recommendations on how to keep the car in good shape? Such as what tapes to use and what areas you put them? Just going through track photos some people do different areas with a variety of tapes. My car is Xpel Ultimate wrapped and ceramic coated so the extra protection would be great!
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Anyone have recommendations on how to keep the car in good shape? Such as what tapes to use and what areas you put them? Just going through track photos some people do different areas with a variety of tapes. My car is Xpel Ultimate wrapped and ceramic coated so the extra protection would be great!
if it's already wrapped in xpel, you should be fine.
-- Past --
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
if it's already wrapped in xpel, you should be fine.
I was just thinking that painters tape or something else over the Xpel would be cheaper to replace and added protection. But, not sure if it will stick on ceramic coating or peel off the already existing Xpel that is there.

I know tracking the car and keeping in show room condition is not possible, but I can dream right?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
I was just thinking that painters tape or something else over the Xpel would be cheaper to replace and added protection. But, not sure if it will stick on ceramic coating or peel off the already existing Xpel that is there.

I know tracking the car and keeping in show room condition is not possible, but I can dream right?
it should stick! haha yeah track + show room condition might be tough. Mine is wrapped too, but I can def see a bit of wear and tear after a bunch of track days. It still looks really really good though. I noticed a small scratch in one of my wheels the other day.
-- Past --
Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
it should stick! haha yeah track + show room condition might be tough. Mine is wrapped too, but I can def see a bit of wear and tear after a bunch of track days. It still looks really really good though. I noticed a small scratch in one of my wheels the other day.
Would just blue painters tape be sufficient? Or should I go with something more like Xpel Tractape. Not sure what all is out there